Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carrying through or into NJ.

I live in upstate NY, and have CCW permits in NY and Pa.. I am from NJ originally and still have family there, and go there several times a year, especially to fish in salt water.. I went down last week, and knowing I could not carry in NJ, I left my CC weapon at home.. The whole trip down I felt "incomplete", like something was missing, and frankly I felt more vulnerable than I have in a while.. I usually drive through NY/Pa/ NJ at 1-5 am, not the safest time of the day..
My question is this- I can legally carry right to the NJ border. thats a given. So NJ law states [IF I am reading it correctly] you can transport a gun THROUGH the state, IF its locked away, secure where you can't get to it from the passenger compartment, and the ammo is not to be with it, it must be stored separately.

Since I am not going through the state, but my destination is within the state, am I in compliance if I lock my gun up before I enter the state, and then simply start carrying once I leave NJ?..
I actually felt "naked"[horrifying concept in my case!] without my CC last week.. In the recent past, i carried my Ruger 10/22 rifle locked up out of reach, and had a a full 10 rd mag and a spare 10 rounds in a little baggie in the glove box, AWAY from the locked away rifle.. I thought I might have been doing something perfectly legal but was just unclear, as to the "driving through" or destination within" situation and kind of worried about it the entire time... Any clarity as to this situation would be appreciated..bob

·
Super Moderator
19,885 Posts
What the law states and how it is applied are two different things. You don't have research very hard to find stories of people caught in the NJ web of anti-gun sentiment. They might be precisely within the law, but are arrested nonetheless and left for the prosecutor and possibly a jury trial to sort out.

Even the NJSP's web site leaves enough wiggle room for cops to enforce the law aggressively: Transporting a Firearm Into / Through the State of New Jersey | New Jersey State Police Firearms Information

A few years ago a friend took two Jeff Gonzales courses in NJ, driving there from CT with his hardware locked up in the trunk. It was a very nervous time for him, feeling like the least traffic violation would put him in the pokey. He made it down there and back safely, but the travel was far from relaxing.

I suggest that if your destination is in New Jersey, leave the firearms at home. Get past the notion that you are somehow less safe without a gun; your mind is the weapon, the rest are just tools.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What the law states and how it is applied are two different things. You don't have research very hard to find stories of people caught in the NJ web of anti-gun sentiment. They might be precisely within the law, but are arrested nonetheless and left for the prosecutor and possibly a jury trial to sort out.

Even the NJSP's web site leaves enough wiggle room for cops to enforce the law aggressively: Transporting a Firearm Into / Through the State of New Jersey | New Jersey State Police Firearms Information

A few years ago a friend took two Jeff Gonzales courses in NJ, driving there from CT with his hardware locked up in the trunk. It was a very nervous time for him, feeling like the least traffic violation would put him in the pokey. He made it down there and back safely, but the travel was far from relaxing.

I suggest that if your destination is in New Jersey, leave the firearms at home. Get past the notion that you are somehow less safe without a gun; your mind is the weapon, the rest are just tools.
Thanks for the reply.. I wish I could feel as safe without a weapon, but the reality is this.. the world has become a far, far more dangerous place than it was since I was a young strong man, and I am simply less physically able to defend myself and my loved ones than I was 40 years ago. My mind DOES keep me safe in those times where I am in control of my situation and my surroundings,, As we all know however, in these dangerous times, anyone , no matter how astute, and diligent, and aware, can find himself/herself in a bad situation where there really is no control other than to fight ones way out. I am losing that capacity in my retirement years. At my age, my mind is less of a weapon, and yes, I have found I rely more on the "tools" lately..
I guess, its a good thing I left NJ 25 years ago..

.. bob

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
If you are relying on FOPA, it does say "through" if the state is your destination FOPA does not apply. As for NJ, don't even think about it, that is one nasty hell hole.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just for the sake of argument, this is from the NJSP website, regarding transport into NJ.. looks pretty straightforward , but I know they can do what they want, and may not see things the way they are written.. From this it seems fine to transport to a destination within the state, as long as the weapon is secured, not readily accessible, and no ammo with it.. Pretty confusing to me as to how you can be arrested for transporting into the state if all these guidelines are met... I agree with those that say don't try it, believe me, but the law should be defined better.. From this it looks like NO problem, just unload,secure and lock it away.. bob

All firearms transported into the State of New Jersey:

Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Since I am not going through the state, but my destination is within the state, am I in compliance if I lock my gun up before I enter the state, and then simply start carrying once I leave NJ?..
NO, Once you enter NJ with a gun, unregistered in NJ, keep going without stopping until you leave NJ. Best not to risk even entering NJ with a gun at all.

Reactions: RichB70

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
There are non-recognition states and then there is NJ. Totally different. In addition, your title is a little misleading as you are not really "carrying through" NJ but actually traveling to a destination within NJ.

If you wish to be another test case, then by all means proceed into NJ with your firearm.

I, for one, do not have enough money set aside to be able to fight a firearms case in NJ and would therefore err on the side of caution, and refrain from bringing a firearm into NJ, especially if my destination lay within the borders of NJ.

I am sure there is enough salt water off NY that you should be able to drown some worms without relying on the non-existent goodwill of some NJ prosecuting attorney.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I completely understand what everyone is saying, but based on the written law, that came right off the NJ State Trooper website, it seems completely unambiguous. No way should it be against the law based on the wording , as long as you comply strictly with the instructions set forth.
I won't bring even a locked up gun into NJ, but I DO plan on calling NJSP Firearms Investigative Unit tomorrow and getting an explanation from them as to the wording... I'll post here the answers I am given over the phone. I have called the NJ State Police in the past concerning other matters, and they are usually pretty accommodating.. bob

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Thanks for the reply.. I wish I could feel as safe without a weapon, but the reality is this.. the world has become a far, far more dangerous place than it was since I was a young strong man, and I am simply less physically able to defend myself and my loved ones than I was 40 years ago.

.. bob
If it helps any, at least you can know that violent crime has declined by 50% over the last 25 years, that is a positive. It's bad, but it has been quite a bit worse.

·
Super Moderator
19,885 Posts
I completely understand what everyone is saying, but based on the written law, that came right off the NJ State Trooper website, it seems completely unambiguous. No way should it be against the law based on the wording , as long as you comply strictly with the instructions set forth.
I won't bring even a locked up gun into NJ, but I DO plan on calling NJSP Firearms Investigative Unit tomorrow and getting an explanation from them as to the wording... I'll post here the answers I am given over the phone. I have called the NJ State Police in the past concerning other matters, and they are usually pretty accommodating.. bob
Just for the heck of it, call the PD in the town you're headed to and ask them how to transport your weapon. Be coy and don't tell them you read the law already - see what their take is.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Haven't they're been people that got arrested in NJ because the plane they were on had to make an emergency landing and they had a checked firearm? Didn't Christi talk about it in one of the debates?

And you want to purposely take a gun into NJ?

I would and will avoid NJ & NY like the plague.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Two years ago, visiting the Brother in Law in NYC. Drove. No guns or ammo. A folding knife for cutting stuff. On the subway, walking in to Central Station, impressive architecture.

Came across 5 NY City Police Officers, leaned up, talking. Stopped and greeted them, Liverpool accent an all. (My Wife not happy!) Explained due to laws in NY State, I had to leave my Glock 19 at home, so how about one of you big young fellas lend me one of your Glock 26 pistols the Governor gave you?

Nice chat, nice guys, and no, no one lent me a Glock 26!

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Just one more reason that I rarely venture North of the Mason Dixon line! Besides you can't get decent sweet tea or gumbo up North:mad:!

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Just for the sake of argument, this is from the NJSP website, regarding transport into NJ.. looks pretty straightforward , but I know they can do what they want, and may not see things the way they are written.. From this it seems fine to transport to a destination within the state, as long as the weapon is secured, not readily accessible, and no ammo with it.. Pretty confusing to me as to how you can be arrested for transporting into the state if all these guidelines are met... I agree with those that say don't try it, believe me, but the law should be defined better.. From this it looks like NO problem, just unload,secure and lock it away.. bob

All firearms transported into the State of New Jersey:

Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.
FFL's in NJ usually know the law. You might give a couple of them near where you intent to travel a call.

New Jersey - FFL dealers & shops - FFL gun dealers directory

As a non licensee you can also contact the only ATF industry operations office in NJ to get their take on FOPA and NJ Federal/State Regulations. They may refer you to the NJ state police but at least you should get some additional input. 973-247-3030. You don't need to tell them you are not an FFL, only that you have a question.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Peaceable Journey laws are no longer in effect if you stop in the state. At that point you have to comply with the state laws. I plan my trip so that I don't even stop for fuel in NY or NJ when I travel north.

Reactions: Sportymonk

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, this morning I called the NJSP Firearms Investigation Unit.. I was told you CAN indeed transport your weapon through NJ and into NJ as a destination, as long as you comply with the transport procedure ..
Weapon stored separate from ammo , and secured where it can not be accessed from the cars interior, or if you are in say a pickup, it has to be in a locked box or something, again separate from the ammo.
I made sure to explain that often in my case, the destination was NJ itself, not transporting through..

Made no difference I was told, as long as I comply with the regulations for transport in NJ that we are all aware of.
I was told that there would be a problem, if you were staying in NJ for any length of time.. It appears NJ has made provision for out of state CCW holders, to come in to the state and get out before too long.. I can't say for sure of course that I won't be tossed in jail if I get searched in a traffic stop in NJ.
However, I WAS told by this SP division on the phone that it was a law, and as long as I followed the regulations set fort, that I would be in compliance with that law.. Take it any way you would like, but as for me, I will follow the regulations and will carry through NY and Pa, and somewhere before the Water Gap, will lock my weapon up securely out of my reach in a separate compartment of the vehicle,, away from the ammo, and proceed about my business in NJ, in full compliance with state law.. After I get back into PA, if I feel the need, I can retrieve the weapon and carry it on my person... Thats what I was told anyway,, take it for whatever its worth I guess... bob

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
transporting CCW into or out of NJ

Just one more reason that I rarely venture North of the Mason Dixon line! Besides you can't get decent sweet tea or gumbo up North:mad:!
Yeah, but WE have the pizza and Buffalo wings brother, so its a wash.. Sweet tea is disgusting anyway. Tastes like pancake syrup:wink:.. bob

·
Registered
143 Posts
So, this morning I called the NJSP Firearms Investigation Unit.. I was told you CAN indeed transport your weapon through NJ and into NJ as a destination, as long as you comply with the transport procedure ..
Weapon stored separate from ammo , and secured where it can not be accessed from the cars interior, or if you are in say a pickup, it has to be in a locked box or something, again separate from the ammo.
I made sure to explain that often in my case, the destination was NJ itself, not transporting through..

Made no difference I was told, as long as I comply with the regulations for transport in NJ that we are all aware of.
I was told that there would be a problem, if you were staying in NJ for any length of time.. It appears NJ has made provision for out of state CCW holders, to come in to the state and get out before too long.. I can't say for sure of course that I won't be tossed in jail if I get searched in a traffic stop in NJ.
However, I WAS told by this SP division on the phone that it was a law, and as long as I followed the regulations set fort, that I would be in compliance with that law.. Take it any way you would like, but as for me, I will follow the regulations and will carry through NY and Pa, and somewhere before the Water Gap, will lock my weapon up securely out of my reach in a separate compartment of the vehicle,, away from the ammo, and proceed about my business in NJ, in full compliance with state law.. After I get back into PA, if I feel the need, I can retrieve the weapon and carry it on my person... Thats what I was told anyway,, take it for whatever its worth I guess... bob
If you do, make sure you have no hollow points. They are a no go. Get some of those Guard Dog rounds or target rounds.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Record the response identifying the name of the officer providing the answer.

the comment about hollow points is worth repeating. DO NOT have hollow points within New Jersey. They will treat you as a terrorist.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

One of the problems with Peaceable Journey laws is that the state can re-interpret them any way they want. Places like Washington DC and Chicago don't recognize them at all. I believe NYC is the same way. Some states allow you to pass through as long as you don't stop. Others curtail the Peaceable Journey Laws as soon as you make a stop.

We really need a universal procedure like they have with driver's licenses. It's impossible to keep track of the laws in every single jurisdiction that you pass through.

Reactions: Toolmanbutch
1 - 20 of 76 Posts