Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so there is a concert in Florida at Jax Memorial on next friday the 15th... is it legal to carry to a concert? The City of Jacksonville owns the center afaik... now i see nothing in the code section but the area is sometimes used for athletic events so is it always off limits or ???

from handgunlaw.us

Places Off-Limits Even With A Permit/License
790.06 (12) License to Carry Concealed Weapon or Firearm
· Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05
· any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
· any detention facility, prison, or jail;
· any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from
carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her
courtroom;
· any polling place;
· any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special
district;
· any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
· any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
· any school administration building;
· any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the
premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
· any elementary or secondary school facility;
· any area vocational-technical center;
· any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty
member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or non-lethal electric weapon or
device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;
· inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be
prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment
for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or
· any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises,
I don't know, how 'bout this part?
Also, do you envision you might need to shoot into a crowd of thousands of people packed in?
Perhaps resulting in a stampede?
I'd say, take a chance, leave the gun home (or in your car)

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is Christian Rock concert so i doubt there will be alky lol but idk??

i dont want to leave the gun in the car....and would like to have it for the walk to and from....

·
Registered
387 Posts
There's a sign painted/etched on the glass above the entrance which says no weapons, but I (not being a lawyer) don't think it's enforceable unless we are asked first to leave. My guess is that the sign has the force of law during basketball, wrestling (is that really a sport?), and similar events. A concert is a concert -- unless we go to a snack area where alcohol is being served, we are compliant while carrying concealed. Again, IANAL.

Unlike GA, FL has no open carry off your own property/place of business, so no one will know (or care) if you carry concealed. The area outside the arena is a not the nicest part of town. The city has no authority to declare anything off limits for carry, and the state hasn't done so. I can't think of a reason not to carry to a concert.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Also, do you envision you might need to shoot into a crowd of thousands of people packed in?
Perhaps resulting in a stampede?
I'd say, take a chance, leave the gun home (or in your car)
I think a handgun would be useless in the arena ... but on the walk to and from your car, it's a really good idea.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i plan on carrying my keltec... concealed will be concealed i dont want to break any laws if its illegal i wont carry just leave it in the trunk...i just hope we can get tickets as there are no advanced tickets sales

·
Registered
76 Posts
Perfectly legal, provided you have a valid permit and keep it concealed.

If it becomes exposed and you arer asked to leave, do so at once.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Wouldnt be legal in NC, but thats not relevant to you anyhow. I would probably keep the gun in the car and carry OC and knife. However if its legal to do so, go ahead and carry your gun. The Keltec would be good for deep concealment because you dont want to accidently show and cause a panic of some sort.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Pretty sure it's perfectly legal. I carry all the time at Jax Memorial to the Circus and Disney on Ice, both non-sproting events.

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
It's not a professional athletic event, signs mean nothing...be sure to have excellent cover garments and you're good to go.
I have carried at such events in Jax...not a problem.

Stay armed...Jax is an extra mag town:yup:...stay safe!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not a professional athletic event, signs mean nothing...be sure to have excellent cover garments and you're good to go.
I have carried at such events in Jax...not a problem.

Stay armed...Jax is an extra mag town:yup:...stay safe!
ok so it looks like im gtg....im sure ill have a heavy jacket on and being a big guy i can conceal anything:embarassed: hopefully im gonna start dropping a lot of the weight :banana:

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
A couple of posters have mentioned the sale of alcohol.
That has nothing to do with anything in FL.
Unless it is a bar, you can carry. You can even drink.

But, I doubt Jax Meml is a bar.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If FL is like CO, it'll depend on who owns the arena/stadium. I'd start with the fine print (legalese) on their website.

As a point of reference, MLB and NFL forbids firearms at their stadiums... and sounds like the NBA does too (just ask Gilbert Arenas).

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If FL is like CO, it'll depend on who owns the arena/stadium. I'd start with the fine print (legalese) on their website.

As a point of reference, MLB and NFL forbids firearms at their stadiums... and sounds like the NBA does too (just ask Gilbert Arenas).

its owned by the city so preemption applies...in that regard

as for Arenas he was in DC and not in his home=cant possess legally yet....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think the biggest problem with Arenas (so far) is that he was possessing inside the NBA arena. The DC gun nazis haven't jumped into this parade quite yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts