Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any states that actually ban the carrying of more than one gun concealed?

The reason is I simply sometimes feel it would be very nice, in some really bad parts of town, to have a smaller gun ready in my coat pocket, instead of where mine usually is: In the small of my back in a IWB holster, which is also under my tucked-in shirt, which is also under my sweater, which is also under my overcoat! Add having to remove a glove from my hand to draw, and you are looking at me not only being shot multiple times before I can ever draw my own gun, but the bad guy would have time to reload, have lunch, and then empty his gun into me again before I even finished getting the weapon out of my waistband. :embarassed:

(Some states are finicky: I had a license to carry unconcealed in California MANY years ago (armed response patrolman; not a LEO), and California was unbelievably particular about what you carried (down to only carrying the specific type of pistol that you had originally qualified with, and no other, much less a second pistol concealed/unconcealed).

Thanks,

-Bill :comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
944 Posts
Only New Mexico says you can only carry one concealed firearm on your person. In some states you can only carry the firearms listed on your Carry Permit/License but only NM limits you to one firearm.

·
Registered
989 Posts
If anybody knows, it's Gary S. Cope Reynolds has mentioned this on his podcast as a NM peculiarity.

·
Registered
473 Posts
No limit in NC on how many you carry, or what kind you carry, as long as it is labeled a legal handgun.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
No limit in VA....you would have to look at your state laws for carrying a concealed weapon/pistol/firearm (whatever your state calls it)....see handgunlaw.us

·
Registered
205 Posts
Only New Mexico says you can only carry one concealed firearm on your person. In some states you can only carry the firearms listed on your Carry Permit/License but only NM limits you to one firearm.
NM, hmmm, thought it was AZ, you're probably right, I knew it was one of those states. I think there's only one state. PA doesn't limit you to the number of guns you can carry, nor do they have a registry so you can carry anything that doesn't have to be connected to your LTCF.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Multiple guns, OC spray, and knives...gotta' love the GunShine State.:31::bier:

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I quite often carry two. It's legal in PA. I have my 1911, 2 mags, my P3AT as a BUG and a pocket knife... armed to the teeth I think they say :)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Yeppers - that is confirmed! We can only carry one pistol concealed. We are also an open carry state so a person can carry one concealed and one open. Additionally, we can only carry (concealed) the caliber/class or lower that's on our permit (i.e., semi-auto, .45 or less; revolver, .45 or less). Nevada is firearm specific on the permit.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
My ? would be why are you carrying a gun in a position that is virtually impossible to draw from,carry it on your side at 3:30 ish where you can draw if you need to

·
Registered
116 Posts
BUGs are relatively common - so a lot of people carry 2.

That's a good idea to have a coat pocket gun in bad areas. I think Mas Ayoob covered that in one of his books.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
In Ga, carry the caliber you want and as many as you care to tote around. For me it usually my primary and my LCP as a BUG.

·
Banned
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My ? would be why are you carrying a gun in a position that is virtually impossible to draw from,carry it on your side at 3:30 ish where you can draw if you need to
:comeandgetsome: :comeandgetsome:

As the OP, I need to be a little more exact and accurate in my explanation, rather than me just saying "small of the back" carry (it's really more like 4 o'clock carry).

And because full concealment means everything to me. I have tried all of the different methods to accomplish this concealment, but only by using an IWB tuckable holster (Kholster) can I get this full concealment, even during a 100deg / 100% humidity day in Mississippi (yes, I also demand that I carry the exact same gun and holster -- in the exact same location -- whether it be winter or summer, for obvious consistency reasons).

I have found that any method that involves a jacket, an un-tucked shirt, or an ankle is open to a gust of wind or the wrong bodily movement (bending over, etc.) to lay you open to completely breaking my #1 rule of, "concealed means concealed". The only other competition for this is a bellyband, but I get too sweaty and hot with this method.

I frankly don't understand how people can walk around without feeling nervous/uneasy/paranoid when using a OWB, or a IWB (non-tuckable), or a shoulder holster in public! Maybe it's just me…

-Bill :danceban:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Now about those gloves...
I was always one to wear gloves, my tiny hands get cold easily. Since I started carrying, no more gloves for me, they just don't fit inside the trigger guard. My pockets are my gloves now.

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
Michigan is not technically a "one gun" state, but our law is vague in its wording. Most jurisdictions accept that multiple CCW is Ok, but there are a very few prosecutors, most notably, Wayne County (Detroit) IIRC, that has stated that multiple carry guns will be prosecuted even if they are eventually thrown out of court.

I frankly don't understand how people can walk around without feeling nervous/uneasy/paranoid when using a OWB, or a IWB (non-tuckable), or a shoulder holster in public! Maybe it's just me…
Everybody has a different comfort level regarding their carry. Personally, I carry 95% of the time strong-side OWB. "Full" concealment as you describe it is less than efficient in my mind. If I can not access my CCW is a swift and relatively easy manner, then it might as well be locked in a safe at home. Certainly there are times when a tucked IWB mode of carry is required, but for me those are rare.

To me concealed means concealed, not invisible.

Good luck.

·
Registered
448 Posts
In Texas there is not limit, that I am aware of, on the number of guns that can be carried concealed by a CHL holder.

There is a restriction. If you tested with a revolver (.38 or larger) you can only carry a revolver(s). If you tested with a semi-automatic (9mm or larger) then you can carry any number and/or combination of semi-automatic(s) and revolver(s).

I have carried a PT-111 (9mm) and a Model 85 (.38 SPL) at the same time.

I've heard there are some changes to the testing allowing testing with a caliber smaller than 9mm/.38 but I'm not sure of that. But I also believe the rules changed a year or so ago allowing the carry of calibers smaller than 9mm/.38.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yeppers - that is confirmed! We can only carry one pistol concealed. We are also an open carry state so a person can carry one concealed and one open. Additionally, we can only carry (concealed) the caliber/class or lower that's on our permit (i.e., semi-auto, .45 or less; revolver, .45 or less).
This may be a little OT, but is in regards to the caliber requirement of NM as stated above.

NM honors my NC permit which has no caliber requirements, I can qualify with a .22 LR revolver and carry a .45 ACP as my carry weapon. I qualified with a S&W .22LR revolver and I carry a 9mm and a .380 ACP. So I under stand that in NM I can only carry one, but what calibers must I carry? The LEO, or anyone for that matter, would not know what I qualified with unless I told them as NC doesn't record that information.

Thanks.

·
Registered
408 Posts
In Ga, carry the caliber you want and as many as you care to tote around. For me it usually my primary and my LCP as a BUG.
Funny, isn't it. You can carry a pair of .500 Smiths on your belt, two .45s in a shoulder holster, a Glock small of the back, a snubbie on both ankles and a Keltec or NAA in every pocket and be arrested for the swiss army knife with a 3.1 inch(or shorter depending on the city or county) blade on your keychain.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts