Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a springfield armory xd40 sc that I want to take with me while I go backpacking. Normally i carry iwb at 4:30. unfortunately when you go backpacking the backpack puts a lot of weight there making it almost impossible to draw with any speed and it is also uncomfortable. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how one could carry while backpacking.

I was thinking something where there was a holster built into the backpack and would put the gun between you and the backpack but i cannot find anything like this. also i dont have any good experience trying to do this.

any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Not to gloat or anything, but liberal old Oregon is an open carry state, so that problem goes away...

Have you considered something like the smartpacker? I believe it has a belt loop. You could use clips to attach it to the waist of the packpack's waist strap or shoulder straps.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Perhaps a holster that slings across the chest? I know these exist for the X-frame guns by S&W. Maybe one can be had for your semi-auto? I carry open on the leg while backpacking (in Alaska).

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Belly band carrying at around the 2 oclock

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I bowhunt and after I have an animal down and need to make several trips packing out, I then will carry a sidearm in case I run into a bear or cougar. They tend to find those free meals very easily.

I use either a cross chest holster or a drop leg holster while hauling a back pack. Either one gives me full freedom of movement yet allows easy access to my pistol. Drop leg holsters are a dime a dozen in most tactical guns shops. See my recommendation for a chest holster in the link below. Good luck.

Guides Choice Holster

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
As the first responder alluded to, the question is whether you want to CC or if you feel comfortable with OC?

OC has a lot of positives out in the woods and I would suggest a good holster that will strap to your backpack strap right on the front of your chest. Quick draw, easy access, and you always know it's there. Make sure you have good retention so it doesn't fall out while climbing in awkward areas. That's what I've been wanting to do but I only pack a couple times a year so making up a good rig hasn't made it to the top of my list yet.

Happy hiking :bier:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would have no problem OC except that it is not legal where I live. If it was it would make it much easier and i would certainly do it. So i am stuck with finding a cc alternative.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I would have no problem OC except that it is not legal where I live. If it was it would make it much easier and i would certainly do it. So i am stuck with finding a cc alternative.
In that case, have you considered fanny pack then? A fanny pack worn on the front would not look out of place while backpacking. It would be comfortable, have room for a few other necessities like your compass, and still be on your person or easy reach if you set your main pack down and went to be with nature behind a tree (if you know what I mean).

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Although backpacking is no longer within my realm of recreatonal desires, I would think that I'd want instant access to a weapon when in the 'back country'.
A fanny pack would seem to fit that need. It can be worn in front or off to the side, and allows instant access to your EDC. OMO

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use a SafePacker when I carry with a pack. I do some backpacking, but more often I'm out with my camera bag -- it has a wide hip-belt that pretty-well prohibits me from wearing my VM2 holster.

The SafePacker works well -- it will fit on nearly any belt from a rope up to probably 4"-5" wide. It keeps the firearm accessible, right there on the hip where it should be (same as my 'regular' carry). My pack is black, and I have a black SafePacker. Nobody has ever asked me what the little pocket is on my belt, and I've been right in the middle of the sideline action at school football games (it's OK to carry at public schools in Oregon), photography club events, parades & special events, the pits at the race track, etc. The SafePacker looks like it belongs there and has never attracted a second look (that I've noticed).

The only thing different for me is that the SafePacker has a Fastec Buckle that must be unclipped to draw. With a little practice to establish the muscle memory, it's not a problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use a fanny pack clipped semi loosely in the front. It doesn't interfere with the hip belt on my 65L pack, and provides reasonably quick access to my CZ P-01.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I personally hate have anything hanging off the front of my straps or on the front of my body while backpacking. It's a pain to drop pack or mount up with all the extra straps you have to mess with.

I used to know a guy who carried in a thigh rig under his Cargo short/pants. He cut out the inside of the cargo pocket on his carry side. Spare mag in cargo pocket on other side. Reach through pocket, grab gun. Not the quickest access but it was definitely concealed, always on his body, wasn't flopping around in a pocket or hanging off his pack somewhere.

Another option.
Dana Designs sells something called a "wet rib" it's a pocket d water bottle holder that attaches to one shoulder strap and would buckle across the front of your body like so:

If you aren't packing a large pistol you could probably sew a holster into one and it would not be obvious you were carrying. The downside to that is the gun would be attached to your pack. I've got an old one I never use anymore. If you want it it's yours.

·
Registered
641 Posts
A major problem that I found when attaching a gun directly to the backpack was what to do when I took the pack off. When I layed the pack down I was separated from it which I thought (and still think) was a potentially big problem.

I suggest that you look at the Simply Rugged web site and examine their "Chesty Puller" holster system.

This system holds the gun on the chest (between backpack straps) and stays with the backpacker at all times. Simple and elegant. When on the trail I wear a light shirt under my backpack which will not add much to weight and will cover the holster system thus solving the questions associated with open carry. Call the folks at Simply Rugged and ask for their suggestions. They are both polite and knowledgeable.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I open carry while backpacking. I use a thigh rig. Whatever you decide, always keep your pistol secured to you while backpacking. Think about it, if you stumble and fall, you might loose your pack. Now you are in a survival situation (usually where I go, its a long way) and you just lost probably the only thing that could save your life. I usually carry (on my person) my pistol w/exta mag, multi-tool, mag lighter, iodine tablits, folder knife, fixed blade knife that is really heavy (used like an ax) compass, and some 550 cord.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Just two weeks after a lady was mauled to death by a loving bear at Tremont, Smoky Mountains, I backpacked in with my two beloved daughters. You better believe, I was packing major heat with the loving bear in mind.

Listen to dairycreek.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have a springfield armory xd40 sc that I want to take with me while I go backpacking. Normally i carry iwb at 4:30. unfortunately when you go backpacking the backpack puts a lot of weight there making it almost impossible to draw with any speed and it is also uncomfortable. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how one could carry while backpacking.

I was thinking something where there was a holster built into the backpack and would put the gun between you and the backpack but i cannot find anything like this. also i dont have any good experience trying to do this.

any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
I also carry my XD 40 SC while backpacking. I use an old Bushnell 35mm binoculars case on my belt for carrying my XD. It carries well and because of the Bushnell labeling, it certainly conceals well.

P.S. Because of the extra weight, I don't carry binoculars.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
My backpacking days are about over(an artificial knee joint has seen to that), but over the last 40 years I have carried - normally some sort of 1911 - in almost every concievable way. I have used the miltary style cross chest style shoulder holster and regular shoulder holsters. Both of them get in the way of the straps on a good pack. As much as I like shoulder holsters, they were eliminated for backpacking. I have used fanny packs and they aren't too bad. They are bad at all.

However, what I have found to be most convenient is a military web belt with a military flap holster. When legally carried, they are most comfortable, and fairly easy to aquire and wear. Going one step further, using a "SWAT" style holster carry, strapped to the thigh several inches below the beltline has been by far the best carry method I have ever used. Legality is always an issue, but when legal, the thigh carry is what I use. Very comfortable, very accessable(sp), and extremely easy to carry when you have a fairly large and cumbersome pack. On the occassion when you run into other backpackers, you do get some strange looks, however. Make sure you are legal.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
My Lowe Alpine backpack makes conventional pistol packin' less than ideal. I've found carrying a RH IWB holster horizontally inside/front of my left pack strap makes for a quick, convenient solution. A slight (FBI) cant is perfect. Just attach the holster to the strap as you would to your belt. It gets pretty tough to spot behind my pack-rigging but falls easily under my hand, almost like a cross-chest holster. GLOCK G20 in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II. Never been "made". But it would be with your pack (rather than with you) when you're de-packed (is that a word?).

·
Registered
529 Posts
1. The hip belt on many backpacks have pockets on both right & left sides. I put my Glock in the left side (for cross draw) with one of the trigger guard insert thingies. If I'm hiking rough areas, I skip the trigger insert & do not chamber a round.

2. When I can open carry- I use a black hawk serpa @ 3:00. You could probably do this with a cover garment and be covered.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts