Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I deliver takeout for an online delivery service. I'm in Texas.

It appears they have a policy that prohibits delivery partners (independent contractors) from carrying while using their app, under penalty of deactivation.

Is there any risk to a driver's LTC, or legal penalties, etc. if the company discovers they are carrying and deactivates them for legally carrying while delivering? Or if the driver legally uses their weapon in defense while delivering?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would think that unless your employer decided to personally go after you and report you to your issuing authority, the employer will take the path of least future drama and terminate you and move on to the next employee and that's all that will come of it.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
I’m in Virginia, there would be no legal issue here, even if the employer pushed for it.

Personally, no way would I abide by their rule. Always carry, never tell.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I deliver takeout for an online delivery service. I'm in Texas.

It appears they have a policy that prohibits delivery partners (independent contractors) from carrying while using their app, under penalty of deactivation.

Is there any risk to a driver's LTC, or legal penalties, etc. if the company discovers they are carrying and deactivates them for legally carrying while delivering? Or if the driver legally uses their weapon in defense while delivering?
The only thing they can do, is terminate your employment, no other legal action. I'm not telling you what to do, but if was me, I would carry anyways and not worry about it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
What does YOUR state law say? Would it be the same as carrying in a prohibited area and if so, what are the penalties, if any? Can your permit be rescinded for carry in prohibited places?

·
Registered
34,003 Posts
I'd rather service port-a-potties than deliver pizzas or anything else. Pay is probably better too. Don't have to worry about anyone snagging your lunch bag either.

But I doubt your employer, or ex-employer as the case may be, could affect your LTC.

·
Premium Member
3,381 Posts
I doubt it.
Most they could do is deactivate you.
Carrying on the job is not like going into a posted area.
You are not working in a physical building which is posted.
You are breaking no state law.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
They can terminate your agreement with them, but TX won’t take away your LTC.
I would carry anyway. The only way they will find out is if you have to use your gun, and that’s if they even find out. And if you have to use your gun, you’ve got more at stake than the job. Even if it came to that, there are multiple delivery services out there - you can get another gig.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Years ago I was presented with a new written policy of my employer that prohibited employees from possessing any firearm or other weapon while engaged in my duties, while on the employer's property, in any vehicle owned by my employer, or while on my way to or from work.

I was the police chief.

Such policies exist primarily to provide the employer with a defense against liability claims simply by asserting that the employee was acting outside the scope of employment and in violation of the employer's policies.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
All that would happen is you would be “fired”. Now, if you were carrying and delivered in , say a post office or public school, then it’s a whole nother can of worms.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I don't carry at work or client sites because it is against my firm's policy. The odds of discovery IMO are too high, and the cost to my career to great vs the risk of a violent assault. For me.

That said, if I worked in the gig-economy, the calculation would be different. For an easy-to-replace gig job with little "career-path," renumeration... plus in a higher risk, I'd probably carry. Especially if I'm doing all the work in my personally owned vehicle.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
In Texas, you only show your LTC to a law enforcement officer. I'm not telling you to lie, but if somebody asks if you have a license and are carrying, just say, "That's none of your business."

Texas also has a Motorist Protection Act which allows carry in a vehicle, even without a license.

Bottom line. If you don't show them your gun or have to use it, they will never know. Which is as it should be.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It's a "House Rule" for the entity who employs you. The only issue would be if you carry onto a "prohibited place". House rules will not affect your "LTC". Just keep your personal business to yourself (personal carry for self defense is your personal business), keep it that way.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
On my first delivery on my first day carrying while working which was this week the customer met me at my car and I was worried they could have seen my gun because my shirt had snagged on it in the car. There was one other time when I was worried when another customer met me at the car and I had to lean across to the other side to get their food. But I haven't heard anything about it, so I'm assuming it's all good. Given the crime locally the last year I can't believe more drivers don't carry and it wouldnt surprise me if I saw one doing so. Tuesday I had a customer meet me at the car and I knew I was going to have to get the food out on that side of the car because it was a pizza and a bunch of other stuff, so I was careful to stand where my gun was away from her and reach in without bending all the way over.

This isn't my full time job, It's a side hustle. But I can't afford to just stop. I do have two other companies I'm signed up with, if the primary one kicks me to the curb.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Whenever I notice someone with a gun in a holster, I usually either smile and give a nod, or smile and give a thumbs up.

Reactions: RScottie and CJ810

·
Registered
43 Posts
As long as we are talking Uber Eats or Grub Hub type of scenarios you are safe from legal action. I you ever have to go into your company's office - or if you are picking up or delivering to a place - that has a 30.06 sign and you carry anyway, you can lose your permit in Texas if someone chooses to pursue it.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
On my first delivery on my first day carrying while working which was this week the customer met me at my car and I was worried they could have seen my gun because my shirt had snagged on it in the car. There was one other time when I was worried when another customer met me at the car and I had to lean across to the other side to get their food. But I haven't heard anything about it, so I'm assuming it's all good. Given the crime locally the last year I can't believe more drivers don't carry and it wouldnt surprise me if I saw one doing so. Tuesday I had a customer meet me at the car and I knew I was going to have to get the food out on that side of the car because it was a pizza and a bunch of other stuff, so I was careful to stand where my gun was away from her and reach in without bending all the way over.

This isn't my full time job, It's a side hustle. But I can't afford to just stop. I do have two other companies I'm signed up with, if the primary one kicks me to the curb.
Are you delivering at night? South Oak Cliff? Acres Homes? South side of Ft. Worth? South side of San Antonio? etc. I'd carry-PERIOD! You are not risking your license. Only "some job"!

Reactions: sparkyfender
1 - 20 of 21 Posts