Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you usually carry while hiking/backpacking? Even if it is not in an area where you are concerned about animals? I always do just because it is part of my routine, but have been thinking about lightening my load and leaving it at home.

Any hikers (or anyone else) want to offer opinions.

·
Registered
20,089 Posts
For me it's a lifestyle.
I might change my gun to meet my activity, but I never change my mind about if I carry.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
Why would you not?

It all depedns on what you think you may run into 2 or 4 legged issues....

·
Super Moderator
18,789 Posts
Yep.

We have our own hunting and fishing domain containing large acreage. It's been in the family for generations. I've been carrying something, rifle, shotgun, or handgun out there most of my life, since I was big enough to be given a firearm to tote along with me.

I'm liable to carry anything in the safe on a whim such as the Smith & Wesson Heavy Duty above, but most often carry a 4-inch Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 Special.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Lighting the load is part of the hikers mindset. Carrying a light handgun is part of the sensible hikers mindset.
I started to list my backcountry hiking /backpacking handguns I've carried but I won't. Suffice to say carry what the trek demands, what works for you, what gives you confidence.

But Carry! Seriously.... always carry in the backcountry and on the hiking trails.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
Normal I like 10mm or 45lc or 44mag ...Good mix of fun

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Lighting the load is part of the hikers mindset. Carrying a light handgun is part of the sensible hikers mindset.
I started to list my backcountry hiking /backpacking handguns I've carried but I won't. Suffice to say carry what the trek demands, what works for you, what gives you confidence.

But Carry! Seriously.... always carry in the backcountry and on the hiking trails.
My LGS has a scandium frame 44mag S&W. I'm pretty sure it's lighter than an LCP. The ultimate hiking gun imo.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I always bring along a little buddy when I'm hiking. If nothing else, my S&W 649 stows away nicely and doesn't add that much more weight. I would rather have it and not need it, right?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I often leave mine at home. If I run into a situation where I need it while I'm on one of those trips... well that was my choice not to have it, and whatever I get is what I get.

When I'm hiking for enjoyment, it's all about lightening the load for me. On my usual long weekend trips, I try and pare down what I'm carrying as much as I can. That is the only way I can get where I want to go and still be able to say I enjoyed the trip at the end.

It's a gamble, as it always is when you choose not to carry, but as I said it's my choice. I carry most places that I can, but sometimes my desire for personal comfort and enjoyment are more important to me than the possibility that my gun could save my life on that particular trip. I have thought it through and weighed the options, and sometimes that's what I decide.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I often leave mine at home. If I run into a situation where I need it while I'm on one of those trips... well that was my choice not to have it, and whatever I get is what I get.

When I'm hiking for enjoyment, it's all about lightening the load for me. On my usual long weekend trips, I try and pare down what I'm carrying as much as I can. That is the only way I can get where I want to go and still be able to say I enjoyed the trip at the end.

It's a gamble, as it always is when you choose not to carry, but as I said it's my choice. I carry most places that I can, but sometimes my desire for personal comfort and enjoyment are more important to me than the possibility that my gun could save my life on that particular trip. I have thought it through and weighed the options, and sometimes that's what I decide.
Why gamble with your life. Just bring a gun that is comfortable to wear. I can wear my Sheild all day and forget it's there.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I strap on a revolver when I'm out in the woods. Personally don't like to carry autos when I'm in nature. Just an illogical quirk I have.

Went snowshoeing last weekend and had my SP101 with .357 158gr SJSP right underneath my Carhartt. Probably a bit of overkill since any bears in the area are snoozing and the worst I'd run into is a coyote or skunk. I still put iron on my hip because it gives me a reason to fondle and use my Rugers.

I don't "hike" and the snowshoeing was just around the family 20 acres, but I've never walked around enough to find my SP101 to be cumbersome and weigh me down. If Ruger ever comes out with a 3" LCRx in .357, I might be inclined to purchase one for extended nature excursions.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I carry all of the time...had an experience while hunting about 4yrs ago, that made me glad that I had a sidearm...and it was 2 legged critters that I happened upon. So, to your OP...I would not go walking in the woods with no way to defend myself...or heck, you may need a way to signal help or something of the like.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I always carry when I hike. Of all the ways to shave a little weight that's not one I'm gonna resort to.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts