Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally run on a treadmill at home but have started running outside and have tried a few carry methods without much success.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I thought the reason we carry is so we didn't HAVE to run!?! (Just kiddin'). I don't know what CCW you're carrying, but the Ka-Bar Tactical Series has a nice fanny pack I use for some pretty intense hiking.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of my options the XD9 Sub Compact would be the lightest. I tried to carry it in a smart carry type holster already and it was bouncing around way too much. I imagine it would be the same with a fanny pack.

I was thinking of maybe a super tight shoulder holster???

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Hawkepak makes a couple of fanny packs that would work for running... Camelbak also makes the Goblin fannypack, which has a hydration bladder. I've used them for hiking and they are pretty good for carrying...

·
Registered
259 Posts
When wearing a fannypack and running, try moving the holster over to your side, it will flop less and not be irritating.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If you are willing to open carry, use a thigh rig. That's the most efficient way to carry while running for me.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I am a avid runner and I can honestly say that if your are even remotely serious about it you are going to need a new carry gun for running. A XD is WAYYYYYY to big. Get a ruger LCP. And then get one of these.

Nathan Speed 1.5 >> Water Bottle Carrier >> Running Unlimited

A LCP or other small .380 will fit in the pocket. It's what I use.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm into running too, and it's darn near impossible to carry a big gun and be a runner. As Rollo suggested, don't look to other modes of carry, look to different guns. There's no way to carry a large gun and run. Period. A fanny pack is not going to cut it, especially with a heavy handgun in it. The ankle holster is also out, just because of it's location. You're going to have to give up some firepower.

Look to .380's, .32's and yes, even .25's. I'm a big guy but still go running about a 2 miles once a week. When I go jogging I tote a minimag light (one of the keychain variety), my ID and $20 cash with a paperclip holding them together (sometimes with my gym door pass too) and my Beretta 950B in a Jay-Pee IWB. Even in my jogging pants, with the drawstring tight I can deploy, and it doesn't make my pants fall due to it's broad and deep clip.

Sure, you'll probably have to leave the IPod and cell phone at home or in your car to cut weight, but that's the price you're gonna have to pay if you want to run a marathon with a gun on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm into running too, and it's darn near impossible to carry a big gun and be a runner. As Rollo suggested, don't look to other modes of carry, look to different guns. There's no way to carry a large gun and run. Period. A fanny pack is not going to cut it, especially with a heavy handgun in it. The ankle holster is also out, just because of it's location. You're going to have to give up some firepower.

Look to .380's, .32's and yes, even .25's. I'm a big guy but still go running about a 2 miles once a week. When I go jogging I tote a minimag light (one of the keychain variety), my ID and $20 cash with a paperclip holding them together (sometimes with my gym door pass too) and my Beretta 950B in a Jay-Pee IWB. Even in my jogging pants, with the drawstring tight I can deploy, and it doesn't make my pants fall due to it's broad and deep clip.

Sure, you'll probably have to leave the IPod and cell phone at home or in your car to cut weight, but that's the price you're gonna have to pay if you want to run a marathon with a gun on.
I know it's bad to double post but I forgot a big part - my brother is a runner too, and runs very frequently - he's literally a marathon runner. He carries his DL (as in MO our CCW endorsement is on DL) and some cash with the paperclip like me, and carries a Kel-tec P3AT in a nylon IWB that he's taped "grip tape" (the stuff on skate boards that's like sandpaper) onto both sides. It helps adhere the gun to his running pants. Gotta wear your undies high and your undershirt or "wife beater" tucked into them, otherwise you'll scrape your side up with sand paper.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'm into running too, and it's darn near impossible to carry a big gun and be a runner.
I used to carry a full size 1911 while running. The key is a thigh rig. But I wear cammie trousers and a rigger belt when I run as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
might try thunderware or a shirt with holster built in. smaller compact gun might work best in running. I have a glock 27 which is nice and light but has a little bulk to it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used to carry a full size 1911 while running. The key is a thigh rig. But I wear cammie trousers and a rigger belt when I run as well.
Was this back when you were in 'Nam? Jeez if I went running down the street here in St. Louis in camos and packing a 1911 I'd get gunned down by the PD, thinking I was a looney out of the bin and armed! It's not fair ******, I wish I could do it.

Alas, here in STL, if you're out for a walk in street clothes without a dog the cops'll eyeball you funny like you're breaking into cars and stealing radios. You pretty much gotta look like a runner to be ignored while running!

Regardless - try the light weight gun and IWB; ts a huge hassle to run with a heavy pistol. My 26 oz Makarov is a ***** to run with, and it's half the size/weight of a 1911. It's really funny to me that so many people are so resistant to the thought of carrying a smaller handgun!

That chest rig (Urban Strider) looks like it might work but it looks like a pull-over hoodie is the only thing that's gonna break up the outline of it. I'd rather be caught carrying a smaller handgun than be accused of wearing a man-bra...

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you find a good solution, let me know. I run 4-5 miles 3x a week + a longer run on Sundays (8-11 miles). I haven't found anything that works for me, but then again I haven't put a lot of effort into finding the right running rig yet. My biggest concern is loose, aggressive dogs.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Supertuck, a sturdy belt, and shorts with belt loops (usually cut-off army surplus pants). No problems.

I run about 3 miles every other day.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts