Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I make it a practice to carry everywhere I legally can, starting about 5 or 6 weeks ago. The other day I took my kids along with a neighbor kid to the movies. Since I don't know the parents that well, I choose not to carry. Same thing if we have non-family guests to our house or visit a friend's house.

The reason being, in the event I get "made" I don't want to offend friends/neighbors, some of whom may be anti. Or even if not anti saying something like "you were carrying a gun around my CHILD!?!". You know the type....

And despite carrying concealed, wind sometimes whips up a shirttail, folks like to hug and getting made happens. I guess I'm trying to reconcile my desire to carry with my anticipated reactions from friends or neighbors.

I'm sure I'm not the first new CCW holder to feel this way, so any advice or suggestions (or plain 'ol commiseration) is welcomed.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yeah, if certain situations arise where I can’t carry comfortably I drop my handgun in my laptop bag; there is almost no chance of anyone seeing my gun in the bag, because it is deep inside an inner pocket. I also have a day planner that my handgun fits in.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I carry , if they dont like it enough to complain then I dont need to do things for them or thier children . I know that isnt much help but most never notice if you have a fal on a sling lol

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
"you were carrying a gun around my CHILD!?!". You know the type....
Yes, I do know the type!! One of my main thoughts in such circumstances tho is to think - or even be tempted to say - ''do you trust me''? If yes then - ''trust me, trust my gun''. I would emphasize that a gun on my person is in my total control and is no more threat than I am. If I am not to be trusted then fair enough - I will most likely cease to associate.

Going into other's homes is another aspect we discuss - and here I also tend to want to feel the ''trust me, trust my gun'' deal but - we do here sometimes have an individual's wish to not have something in his home and that like it or not has to be respected. More often than not it means I will not be visiting.

Fortunately such things effect me rarely, tho now and again I have been in a house carrying and no awareness of any ''no carry'' policy or wish - in which case, concealed is concealed.

·
Banned
189 Posts
JohnKelly said:
Same thing if we have non-family guests to our house or visit a friend's house.
I can agree with you about not carrying in someone else's house if you're not sure about how they would feel, but not carrying in your own house? No way. I have adopted the policy of, "my house, my rules" with guests (be it family or friends). My wife thinks I am being a hard a$$, but I veiw my home as the one place that I can truly do whatever I want; within reason of course. I don't let anyone that doesn't reside under my roof dictate policy there.

And like P95Carry said, concealed is concealed. More than likely, you're not going to be made. Most non-shooters are clueless about people carrying.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
I carry when legal to do so. Anyone who might find out can be offended all they wish.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If I am going somewhere that I might get hugged and made, I carry in a ankle holster. I always carry if and when I want. The only time I got made, I just told the person who made me to chill out. I figure, you don't like the weapon, you don't like me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a stigma attached to handguns in many people's minds. Those unfamilliar with firearms usually only hear about them when the media reports some careless idiot allowing a child to get ahold of his weapon and there is a tragedy. If someone happens to see a gun on your person it is often assumed that it is being carried illegally or that it is going to be used for aggresion instead of defense or there is bound to be some sort of accident.

I suggest carrying at all times. If someone accidentally sees your weapon it is a great opportunity to educate them and let them see that guns do not have a mind of their own and do not pick themselves up and start shooting at everyone in range.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Redneck Repairs said:
I carry , if they dont like it enough to complain then I dont need to do things for them or thier children . I know that isnt much help but most never notice if you have a fal on a sling lol
I agree with you 100%

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
if you carry, you must be able to carry at all times. smaller gun sometimes, larger other. work on it and then it will not be a problem or question on what to do. you will allways have a gun on your person at all times. it will take some work and money, but it is worth it. carry and do not tell or let them see/known that you have "rosco" on you.

·
Banned
500 Posts
JohnKelly said:
I make it a practice to carry everywhere I legally can, starting about 5 or 6 weeks ago. The other day I took my kids along with a neighbor kid to the movies. Since I don't know the parents that well, I choose not to carry. Same thing if we have non-family guests to our house or visit a friend's house.

The reason being, in the event I get "made" I don't want to offend friends/neighbors, some of whom may be anti. Or even if not anti saying something like "you were carrying a gun around my CHILD!?!". You know the type....

And despite carrying concealed, wind sometimes whips up a shirttail, folks like to hug and getting made happens. I guess I'm trying to reconcile my desire to carry with my anticipated reactions from friends or neighbors.

I'm sure I'm not the first new CCW holder to feel this way, so any advice or suggestions (or plain 'ol commiseration) is welcomed.
And what will happen if you don't carry and something happens to their kid cause you didn't. Your damned if you do and your damned if you don't.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I carry everywhere, whether I have people to my house or whether I am going to their house or somewhere in public with them.

I visited a friend's house recently - haven't known them too long, but they are in the "inner circle" so to speak. They knew I had a firearm and knew I had a CCW - just didn't know for sure if I was actually carrying. They have a few small children. The husband owns firearms but doesn't carry, and the wife doesn't shoot. I was there for several hours each day for several days in a row helping to take care of the wife, who had just had a baby.

I think the first day they were a little unsure if I was actually carrying and didn't want to ask outright. I was picking up the baby & toddler just like I always do, carrying them and playing with them. It felt weird in a way because the media has drilled into my head that you should never have a loaded firearm in the same room with a child, and here mine was on my hip with the baby snuggled up against my chest. But I realized that it couldn't be safer - I knew every second where the gun was and where the baby was, and knew the toddler couldn't get hold of it.

The following day the husband had to go to work, so I was there with the wife & children, still carrying. The house is in a remote area and the wife was have a hard time getting around after the birth - exhausted, sore, retaining fluid, etc.

The newspaper that day had a big article about an escaped convict - burglary, assault, and rape.

Now all of a sudden, they were looking at me differently. The husband knew that nothing could possibly happen to his incapacitated wife while I was there. The wife knew she didn't have to worry about herself or her children. Although nothing was ever said directly, the wife made an indirect reference to it, and there was a sense of trust and relief on their part.

The con was on the loose for several days before he was caught - with a stolen shotgun and after having broken into several homes - just a few miles from the house.

As soon as she fully recovers, the wife is coming to the range with me.

So my experience resulted in a convert!

LibertyGal

·
Registered
379 Posts
JohnKelly said:

John, you're feeling new CCW anxiety, and the more you carry the less you'll have any of these feelings you're experiencing right now. Give it time (not much) and you'll question yourself for ever having doubted yourself.

What about your friends/neighbors offending you? If they can't accept the fact that you've taken personal responsibilty for your own safety, to heck with them! But, they would be the first ones to thank you, if you saved their child from a BG.

Trust me...,you're not being made. Do not advertise the fact to anyone that you carry. Beyond a spouse, it's nobodies business. If they don't know, they don't know better to look for it. So quit worrying about the neighbors and friends, unless you've already spilled your guts to everyone you know. I personally have not asked anyone for their permission to carry in their house. What they don't know, won't hurt them. Why make an issue out of a non-issue?

It's your house, carry in it irregardless of who your visitors may be. It's your castle!

Carry that firearm always. Very soon, you will feel naked when it is not on your side! Just like when you forget your cell phone!

Good luck!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I think it has been said but I carry where I legally can. And believe me people don't make you that easily.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I've lied to one friend about when I

carry and when I don't. After his wife went ballistic in a restraunt when I was accidently exposed. They decided that they needed to spread it around that I was carrying.

The weird thing is he and have gone hunting and he has chewed me out for not needing a gun. ( a month listening to the scanner would change his mind) but it just came down ease their mind.

I've just tried other things when I'm around them. I've got a derringer that I carry and I've got another pistol stowed in my vehicle.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My family and my life is not any less important if others are visiting or with us.

Do you not wear your seat belt when these kids go with you some where?

Bad things can happen at anytime with anyone around.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts