Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the assembly of bullet, case, powder and primer called?

I see people calling them caliber such as, "What caliber do you shoot?" I always thought caliber was the bullet diameter and cartridge was the whole thing.

Is it a regional thing to call the cartridge caliber? Are they now synonymous?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I always refered to them as rounds. "
Some call them bullets.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I believe the official name is "cartridge"

·
Registered
2,304 Posts

I see people calling them caliber such as, "What caliber do you shoot?" I always thought caliber was the bullet diameter and cartridge was the whole thing.

Your description of the terms matches my own, so at least us Floridians sound squared away. :rofl:

-B

·
Registered
238 Posts
Caliber= 7mm, .38 and such.

Cartridge= 7mm-08, 7mm Remington Magnum, 7x57, 7mm STW

The cartridges above are all the same caliber but not the same cartridge.

A related term is to the chambering of a particular gun. The chamber is a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser or a 6.5mm Remington Magnum. Caliber here is the same but the "chamber" and hence the cartrdge is different.

More clarification a 9mm Luger (or 9x19, 9mm Nato, 9mm Parabellum) cartrige will work in a firearm chambered for any in the parentheses.

A 380 ACP (9mm Short, 9mm Kurtz, 9x17) will work in any of the the ones in parentheses as well.

Caliber= bore diameter
Cartridge= specific load, case size and many other factors.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
In the South we say YALL in the north yall say yous/you guys & in the West ?? PS I call it cartridgeis the loaded bullet & Caliber is the size the guns chamberd in H/D

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I've always heard of them being called a cartridge and the round was the bullet itself.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I am going to have to disagree with Earl here...

Primer + casing + powder + bullet = cartridge

Cartridges are generally assembled according to some caliber specifications. That is, "These cartridges are caliber .45 ACP, but those cartridges are caliber .223 Remington, and those over there are caliber 9mm Parabellum."

And hogdaddy, please, it's "youse guys". :smile:

·
Administrator
143,816 Posts
I think the fact that it's a cartridge in that caliber is pretty much understood.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cartridges are generally assembled according to some caliber specifications. That is, "These cartridges are caliber .45 ACP, but those cartridges are caliber .223 Remington, and those over there are caliber 9mm Parabellum."
Based on the above, what's the difference then between caliber 38 Special and caliber 357 Magnum? They both use the exact same caliber bullet (.357) but they are different cartridges.

Caliber refers to the bullet diameter. Cartridge refers to the whole assembly - at least that's the way I see it.

There's lots of cartridges that share the same caliber. 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 357 maximum, 357 B&D all use the same diameter bullet yet their cases are different. Some can be used in the same weapon while others cannot. For example, you can shoot a 38 Special cartridge in a 357 Magnum handgun but you cannot shoot a 357 Magnum in a 38 Special. Yet, they all share the same caliber bullet.

Using the example above you can go even further and say the 9mm is the same caliber as the above rounds since it's bullet diameter is so close (+/- .001) that there are handguns that fire both the 9mm and 38 Special.

Yet they are not the same cartridge.

So, going back to the original post. Is the use of caliber for cartridge a regional thing? Are they synonymous?

·
Registered
304 Posts
A cartridge packages the bullet, gunpowder, and primer in a metallic case made to fit the chamber of a firearm. This is also called a round. Critical specifications of a cartridge include the caliber, bullet weight, etc... Also, A cartridge without a bullet is a blank.

Someone mentioned referring to the cartridge as a bullet. A bullet refers specifically to the projectile.

Caliber, when talking ammunition, is the specific length of the barrel in terms of diameter. Caliber is, specifically, the inside diameter of the chamber. As a side note, when talking artillery, the caliber is a ratio of the barrel length to the bore diameter, as opposed to just the inside diameter of the chamber. In firearms, the caliber is the approximate diameter of the bullet used. For instance, a 45 caliber handgun uses a bullet approximately .452 in diameter.

Does that answer the question? They are in no way synonymous, they are not interchangeable, and it is not regional. Rather, the use of caliber for cartridge is someone completely misusing the term. Similarly, calling a cartridge a bullet is obviously someone not using the correct term.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
9mm

A 380 ACP (9mm Short, 9mm Kurtz, 9x17) will work in any of the the ones in parentheses as well.
FWIIW -- 9x17mm Browning, 9x17mm Browning Short, .380 ACP, .380 Auto, 9x17 Browning, 9mm Browning Short, 9mm Short, 9mm Kurz, 9mm Court, and 9mm Browning are all different names for the same "round" in english, not to mention other languges.

For more of the same "caliber" see: 9mm Cartridges of the World: Past and Present - CZ related Frequently Asked Questions, General Topics - WELCOME TO CZFORUM.COM - CZFORUM.COM - Message Board - Yuku

FWIIW -- I say simply, "What are you shooting/carrying."

·
Banned
13,684 Posts

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Cartridge. The proper term, so far as I know, for the completed unit you place into the magazine or chamber.

Ammo. As in, hand me the ammo, or do you have enough ammo, or reloading some ammo ... meaning, the whole, finished thing.

Rounds. As in, range rounds, or 100rds/box, or ten-round restricted magazine.

Whereas, the individual parts are generically called "components," or named by their specific component part name (ie, primer, case, powder, bullet).

Look at any place (ie, CheaperThanDirt.com) where both cartridges/ammo as well as reloading components are sold. Notice that there are two distinct terms used for the categories:
  • "ammo" (for fully-assembled, ready-to-use, factory rounds); and
  • "components" (for the pieces required for assembly of a complete cartridge).

I see people calling them caliber such as, "What caliber do you shoot?"
Whenever I hear someone ask that, I understand them to be asking how big of a punch does my ammo deliver, or what size are my rounds in terms of caliber. I do NOT think they're using "caliber" interchangeably with the terms cartridge, ammo or rounds.

I always thought caliber was the bullet diameter and cartridge was the whole thing.
Yes.

No, not that I know of. Can't think of anyplace where "caliber" means the whole thing, since it would mean something different for this one versus that one, depending upon the intended chambering. Can't do that and still communicate clearly ... so, no, it can't be that.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Principles of Firearms -- Definitions -- Ammunition

Cartridge:

Cartridge firearms have been in service since the mid-1800s. In earlier designs such as flint-lock or percussion cap arms, the propellant (powder) and the ignition mechanism were individual components which had to be separately loaded or were part of the arm itself.

Modern cartridges have a case which holds bullet, propellant and primer in a single self-contained system. This complete unit and the bullet fired from it are also referred to as a round or shell.

The cartridge is perhaps the single most important factor making modern firearms practical. The cartridge is a stand-alone module of mechanical integrity sealing sensitive chemical compounds from the external environment, and keeping together all the consumable components needed for firing one round. This key development enabled the significant advance of arms technology starting in the latter half of the 19th century.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
Yup - just very widespread ignorance, like clip vs. magazine. Something to be careful about when talking calibers. The US uses the groove diameter, while some other countries use bore or land diameter. For example, bullets for a 7.62 cartridge in an SKS are actually .311 while in a Ruger Mini are .308.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Cartridge is normally what you put in the weapon. Rounds and ammo usually denote quantity. Caliber is bore diameter. Sometimes some of these terms get interchanged and the written word doesn't always convey the writers intent accurately. I've been known to use some of these terms loosely also. As you get more accustomed to weapons and what they shoot you'll begin to be able to translate.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Down here they just refer to them as..."Those little round lead things that kill bad guys."
Cartridge, shell, bullet, caliber...they can all refer to the same thing for informal talk...the meaning is understood.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts