Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot a few of my reloaded .45acp ammo yesterday at the range. They all fired and ejected perfectly out of my S&W 1911. I did notice however that there is a little nick in the side of the shell casings after firing. I also fired some factory WWB FMJ rounds and they too had a nick but not as noticeable as my reloads. Is this a big problem? The cases that I reloaded were unfired/unprimed Remington.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Yeah, would have to see what you are talking about.

If the case mouth is dented, no problem. Resizing them will fix it. If you mean in the rim from the extractor or ejector, you should be fine there as well.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I will try and get a picture tonight to put up. It is on the "body" of the shell not on the rim.

·
Registered
320 Posts
This is usually caused by the case hitting the edge of the ejection port on its way out. It should not be anything to worry about, unless you are getting some serious deformation. Some folks will have their ejection ports "flared" or "lowered" to ensure reliability. This might adress your issue, if you are worried about it.

A little ding in the side of the case, will not make it un-reloadable. It just won't look perfect.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Nicked case........

This is usually caused by the case hitting the edge of the ejection port on its way out. It should not be anything to worry about, unless you are getting some serious deformation. Some folks will have their ejection ports "flared" or "lowered" to ensure reliability. This might adress your issue, if you are worried about it.

A little ding in the side of the case, will not make it un-reloadable. It just won't look perfect.
On my S&W 1911, the ejection port came lowered and flared from the factory so his has probably already been done.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hmm.. I won't claim to be an expert, but if that is the case, then you may need to have your extractor or ejector tuned.

Where does your brass land?

There is a good article about this sort of tuning here:

Brazos Custom

look under tips and tricks and "Ejection perfection."

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
your asking us to determine how somebody was kilt without a body,pics please

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry it took so long to post these. The site wouldn't come up this morning. Picture isn't that great, but hopefully you can get what I am talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Don't hold the camera so close. I have no way of telling what I'm looking at.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is like a little dimple/nick in the brass about midway down the case from the neck.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Not to be unkind, but they are all so out of focus as to be unusable. I can't tell what's reflection and what's anything else.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know I can't get the camera to focus in on it. When I click to take the picture it focuses on the glare instead of the ding. It looks like someone pushed in on the case with their fingernail and I can barely feel it so it isn't very deep.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
looks like a ding where it smacked something as it was ejected,I wouldn't worry about it

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's what I thought at first duke, but it is on all of them. I am thinking it is the extractor hitting it but I just want to make sure they are safe to reload again.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Hard to tell, but as long as you aren't missing any significant amount of brass there, it should be fine. I would say run them through the resizer and it should mostly disappear. I would give them a try if they were mine. That small of a dent won't affect pressures due to loss of volume.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
It's just a little ding I've resized worse and it seems to come out and fire just fine

1 - 20 of 23 Posts