Defensive Carry banner

Cash App?

355 18
Went to a site , Powder Valley, to make a purchase. I've used them before, bought around $400.00 worth of powder, paid the usual way at checkout using a credit card. Got my order, no issues. So I put stuff in the cart went to the checkout to complete the purchase and I get this mumbo jumbo about downloading cash app, make a payment and return with the payment code. No option for just using a credit card. I also saw a Zelle option. At this point I backed out, something stinks here. Get an email from them saying my order is ready all I have to do is send the payment code.
Anyone heard of this cash app thing? Anyone have any issues with ordering from Powder Valley?
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,571 Posts
Legit site Powdervalleyinc.com has credit card.. there looks to be some fake sites.. powdersvalley.com and a few others.
OH YES! It is getting harder and harder to tell the real on line stores from the copy cat scammers. They violate copyright laws and copy the entire legitimate site. And/or they use a name which sounds the same - almost: Like sigsauerarmory dot com or sigsauerfirearmsusa dot com -- both of which list almost all of the discontinued P238's (including the Rainbow!) as POLICE TRADES INS -- with identical pictures on both sites AND payment by Zelle. Well, fancy that. Must be a southern california police department, right?

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Went to a site , Powder Valley, to make a purchase. I've used them before, bought around $400.00 worth of powder, paid the usual way at checkout using a credit card. Got my order, no issues. So I put stuff in the cart went to the checkout to complete the purchase and I get this mumbo jumbo about downloading cash app, make a payment and return with the payment code. No option for just using a credit card. I also saw a Zelle option. At this point I backed out, something stinks here. Get an email from them saying my order is ready all I have to do is send the payment code.
Anyone heard of this cash app thing? Anyone have any issues with ordering from Powder Valley?
Yeah, I have heard of it and used it. NOT to make purchase, but to take payment.

It wasnt my idea, btw. I too was Leary of it, but in my case it was worth it to try, as the client was used to it, and the pymt significant. It all worked out fine.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You musta found a site that tried to mirror powder valley. I bought some powder from them a few weeks ago and used a debit card
That's exactly what happened. Went back into email and the logo and site is exactly like Powdervalleyinc. Even the phone number and physical address is the same. Looking the site over, on top it says Welcome to Powdersvalley.
If they offered conventional Credit/debit card payment they would have got me. That's what alerted me then of course when I saw the Zelle option I knew there was a scam going on.
Can't believe they can get away with such blatant fraud, copyright violations. I've seen other sites that have been up for years that use exact company logos like Marlinusa, Winchestergunsusa, Browninggunsusa . You'd think the companies being mimmicked would shut them down

·
Registered
77,557 Posts
Y'all can just mail me your credit cards and I'll return them when I'm done.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
I have found, especially this year, that making payments for people has really, really changed depending on maybe their age groups. What I’d call younger people offer up all kinds of new things. And, for the most part, I doubt they are scams. I have had to add several APs to take payment from them.

What I find a pain, and dont like at all, is when someone wants me to use a new AP to pay them. To make it clear, people in some legit businesses now, (some court reporters for instance), dont take established credit cards, but rather use some types of cash aps that most established businesses have never fooled with.

I think for the younger folks these aps serve a very valid purpose. Instead of getting ripped off, and/or delays in their families sending them money, they can save money, delay, etc, and pretty much get much needed money quickly.

In other words, I think they are here to stay.

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
I have found, especially this year, that making payments for people has really, really changed depending on maybe their age groups. What I’d call younger people offer up all kinds of new things. And, for the most part, I doubt they are scams. I have had to add several APs to take payment from them.

What I find a pain, and dont like at all, is when someone wants me to use a new AP to pay them. To make it clear, people in some legit businesses now, (some court reporters for instance), dont take established credit cards, but rather use some types of cash aps that most established businesses have never fooled with.

I think for the younger folks these aps serve a very valid purpose. Instead of getting ripped off, and/or delays in their families sending them money, they can save money, delay, etc, and pretty much get much needed money quickly.

In other words, I think they are here to stay.
In your case , You personally know this person and are delivering cash to them. Where I see a web site that only accepts cash apps I see a scam. Its not the cash app that is the scam , but a scammer taking advantage of an app that will not reverse the charges if there is a dispute. DR

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
In your case , You personally know this person and are delivering cash to them. Where I see a web site that only accepts cash apps I see a scam. Its not the cash app that is the scam , but a scammer taking advantage of an app that will not reverse the charges if there is a dispute. DR
Oh yeah. I agree completely. I was simply relating my only experiences with these things.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Interesting that the Zelle owners (a consortium of major banks) have created a platform that alleviates their responsibility for refunds due to fraud or the like.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts