Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw an ad on CBS 60 Minutes this Sunday where they will have a segment on Red Flag laws, I plan on watching it to see what their take is on unconstitutional laws will be.

Several Colorado sheriffs say they won't enforce red flag gun law

Some Colorado counties are opposing a new state gun law that goes into effect in 2020. The red flag law allows a judge to issue an extreme risk protection order so that law enforcement can remove firearms from people posing a threat to themselves or others. However, nearly half of Colorado's counties have responded to the bill, passed in the new Democrat-controlled statehouse, by declaring themselves "Second Amendment sanctuaries." Scott Pelley reports on the controversial new law on the next edition of 60 Minutes, Sunday, November 17 at 7:30 p.m., ET and 7 p.m. PT on CBS.

The model red flag law was written after the Sandy Hook school shooting in 2012. Currently, 17 states and the District of Columbia have adopted them. One of the authors of the model law is Josh Horwitz, head of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence. "This is a law that is a temporary civil restraining order that allows family members or law enforcement to go to a court… before a tragedy occurs," Horwitz said. "And if the judge agrees and issues the order, law enforcement will… remove the firearms and then somewhere between seven and 21 days everybody will come back to court, there'll be a full hearing. If the person, in fact, is dangerous to self or others, the firearms will be kept by law enforcement, and that person won't have access to them for a year."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/several-colorado-sheriffs-say-they-wont-enforce-red-flag-gun-law-60-minutes-2019-11-15/

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I may have to watch this.

Reactions: Pete63

·
Premium Member
33,809 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,998 Posts
Yes I'll watch it, just as I manage to listen to NPR mon.-fri. I am VERY THICK SKINNED, and at my age NOTHING PHASES ME, much less comes as a surprise. I'd rather be forewarned about what others are saying about me, than find out their lies from third party sources, at a much later date.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Really you think it will be something different from their previous reporting.

I'm sure it will be "Red Flag GOOD" keeps everyone safer, "Gun Owners BAD" should be locked up on general principle (well maybe the last part is not for them, Yet).

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I wonder what will happen if an innocent home and gun owner is murdered during a home invasion because he didn't have a firearm to fend off an attack by home invaders???
They will say that having the guns would have made no difference and it would be impossible to prove them wrong. And from the liberals' point of view, if someone lost their guns to red flag, they are not "innocent" anyway.

Seriously, if that happens, I don't think the argument will fly in the media or the courts unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
33,809 Posts
As expected, Red Flag good, guns bad. They started out claiming over 300 shootings but no reference just where they got that number.
Yup. The guy gives his suicidal son a gun who then killed himself, and now wants red flag laws...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts