Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I wanted to take the family to the County Fair tonight. So, I check the fair's website to see if I can find their firearms policy. No dice. :frown:

So I call their information number and ask if a CCW holder can carry into the fair. The lady had to go ask (no biggie), but her answer was definitely lacking in the clarity dept. She told me that it was up to the LEO who was working the entrance. To press for some clarity, I asked if they used metal detectors, she said yes, i thanked her for her time and effort.

Next call was to the county Sheriff. I explained my question and the fair's answer and the dispatcher tried to get a hold of one of the deputies working the fair at the time. No Dice. So she told me that it was probably best to assume that it would be better to secure it before entering the fair. Again, thanks for time and effort.

So, given that there are metal detectors and the lack of clarity, i chose to disarm. So I get to the gate and sure enough BIG flourescent signs "No Firearms."
The best part was that the metal detector turned out to be two kids (17 or so) with hand wands. The kid who wanded me basically just covered my front between my belt and knees. He didn't even get up from his folding chair to do it. :frown:

So I ask the LEO inside the gate his take on CC in the fair, and basically he advised against it. He said if they saw someone with a gun, they'd be thrown into the dirt first and questioned later. But then he adds, "we do have a big gang problem here." :scruntiny:
I thanked him and wished him a safe night.

Now there had to have been 20-25 LEO doing foot patrol inside this relatively small fair, and I felt that they were on it. :hand10:
But is it too much to ask to get a definitive answer on a firearms policy. If you're gonna have metal detectors at the door, can you be a little more thorough about it. If I was carrying in an ankle rig, he would have never noticed. :scruntiny:

So I'm done ranting, what are your experiences in these situations?

·
Super Moderator
18,098 Posts
The fair here is one of the places you need to carry.

I never did understand creating a target rich environment where only the bad guys could carry.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts

I never did understand creating a target rich environment where only the bad guys could carry.
yep

·
Registered
541 Posts
wouldnt ever visit these places that are full of CARNIES and Thugs....well i know how it is to have children and how they enjoy the fair. I also know what kind of Rif-Raff these places atract. If it wasnt for my children I

·
Super Moderator
50,584 Posts
I wouldn't go the the county fair if you gave me free tickets and a limo ride to the front gate.:argue::twak:

The fair is like a huge conference for WalMart shoppers.:rofl:
You could fill a bingo card (WW Trek bingo card) at the front entrance ticket booth line.:hand1::hand1:

That's my take...:bier:

·
Registered
861 Posts
I think it's a printing error....what the signs should have said was...NO ILLEGAL FIREARMS. Well duh........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Went to the county fair Thursday with my family. Carried openly. No one batted an eye, I was not thrown into the dirt. Just an average day with my family, except I got to see some kangaroos and wallabys on exhibit at the fair.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Thats what is nice about Ohio. If the fair is on government and, you can carry, BUT you cannot go into any buildings, unless that building is a free standing restroom.

·
Registered
187 Posts

+1
I don't think I would go if I couldn't carry.

I wouldn't go the the county fair if you gave me free tickets and a limo ride to the front gate.

The fair is like a huge conference for WalMart shoppers.
You could fill a bingo card (WW Trek bingo card) at the front entrance ticket booth line.

That's my take...
That's part of the reason for going. People watching is half the fun.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I carry at the Vigo County Fair in my area, which is not forbidden. But, carrying at the Indiana State Fair is prohibited.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The only time I go to the fair, I don't go in the front door, don't pass through the majority of the crowds and the 'doorman' knows me pretty damn well now!

Yes, I carry.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The point you raise about the wands is a huge issue. I was working an event, (In Washington, D.C so carrying was RIGHT OUT). And they had a security firm doing bag searches and metal detector wands. The women, the security company sent didn't even know how to turn the detector on, the event organizer had to figure it out via reading the instructions. Sadly this was an event with a major VIP who actually has death threats against him.

I suppose it would be one thing to be forced to disarm in a place where you KNEW security was tight. It is absolutely infuriating to have to do it when your security is being governed by incompetents.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have read that you can CC at the Texas state fair. I went there once several years ago, prior to my CHL, and would not go back for any amount of money even carrying. That area of Dallas is one that you just do not go unless you have to.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I toyed with the idea of trying to carry anyway, but the thought of metal detectors deterred me. I was picturing the walk-kind, not skippy the wonder kid with a wand.

We did have a good time and managed to leave before the beer garden produced too many idiots.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I carried to our county fair last night. I don't think I have ever felt that safe at the fair. There were definatly some rough people there and I'm glad I carried. They didn't have any signs or metal detectors there and the only LEO I saw was near the front gate directing traffic. I have witnesses several fights in the parking lot at our fair so I wasn't going to chance it now that I have my pemit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have read that you can CC at the Texas state fair. I went there once several years ago, prior to my CHL, and would not go back for any amount of money even carrying. That area of Dallas is one that you just do not go unless you have to.
CC is perfectly legal at the Texas State Fair. The fairgrounds are owned by the City of Dallas, and Texas law states that CC cannot be prohibited at any government owned property, with the exception of secure areas of police stations, airports, and courthouses.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts