Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a man I have small hands. Even though I grew up shooting a full size 1911 45ACP since my teens, I find the new double stack mag semi auto pistols difficult to grip.

I bought a S&W M&P in 40 cal. Although I really liked the Smith, even with the small backstrap swell, I did not like the grip or the feel when firing with the polymer frame.

Then I held a Springfield Armory EMP and knew I had to get one. After shooting my new EMP in 40S&W I knew that I had made the right decision. On my trip to the range a friend of mine with the same build I have tried it, and he now raves about it.

With the single stack 8 round mag (9 rounds in 9MM) + one in the chamber it does not have as many shots per mag as the double stacks, but it is VERY accurate at handgun ranges and a few well placed shots will do much better than a rain of bullets over an area.

It is very slim and easy to carry concealed.

Anyone with small hands would do well to take a close look at this little handgun.

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
look at the EMP and the Taurus 709 and the PPS and again if you have the $$ the HK P7 even the slightly larger Taurus PT Millennium series that comes in 9/40/45 is great for smaller hands.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I know what you mean about hand size, though with me, it is not so much hand size as relatively smallish fingers mounted on large hands. Glad to see you found a solution!

I was a 1911/sixgun guy for quite a while. I now must use certain approved double-stacks on the job, and found the SIG P229 small enough, if it has either a factory "short" trigger, or a custom narrower, contoured trigger.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Glad you like it... The EMP's are excellent guns...

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
The Kahr K9 9mm semi-auto is very good for smaller hands, as well. About as good-fitting, for me, as the EMP, but it's a bit taller and handles the area around the heel of the palm better.

I like how the Para Carry 9 and similar variants feel, except for how the end of the back strap bits into the palm of the hand. Otherwise, it's another worth considering, for folks with smaller hands.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
That's a sweet pistola there. What kind of price range do those run if you don't mind me asking? I have short fat fingers and really thick hands, so I've had the same issue with many double stack grips. I bought the Taurus PT709 Slim and it fit the bill for me, but I'm really interested in the EMP. I'm assuming it is SAO?

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Kel-tec PF-9 is a single stack, and fits small hands quite nice.

Z

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have to agree with you on the EMP. Mine turned into my EDC as soon as I put enough rounds through it that I knew I could depend on it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BugDude,
Unfortunately price is the EMP's only potential drawback. New, they sell for just over $1000 around here. But it is a quality handgun and should last longer than most users. It is also extremely accurate. A 4 shot group under 2" at 10 yards with a 5th flyer due to a pulled shot.

And yes it has been scaled down to accommodate the shorter 9mm and 40S&W rounds, but is the true 1911 design, SAO.

Try one and I think you will see it is worth the extra money.

Bill

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
The EMP is a great gun. If you like it due to small hands (which I have too), try a Beretta PX4 - subcompact, and it may be your next gun. Comfy.... changeable backstrap on the grip.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I love the feel of my EMP9, but I've had a few reliability issues with it. The last few hundred rounds have been without problems but I still don't entirely trust it. It has been supplanted for me by my Walther PPS, which has been flawless so far.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I purchased a Smith&Wesson Model 3914 (single stack 9mm) back in 1990 for the very same reason. I still have it and hope to God I always will as it's proven to be the right semi-auto for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MgoBlue,

Very attractive grips on your EMP 9mm. But I kind of like the purchase I can get on the stock checkered grips, since I plan to CC with mine.

Bill

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I love the feel of my EMP9, but I've had a few reliability issues with it. The last few hundred rounds have been without problems but I still don't entirely trust it. It has been supplanted for me by my Walther PPS, which has been flawless so far.
The only feed problem I had with my 40 was with a 180gr cast TCFP reload, and they would not feed :confused:. Everything else, commercial or reloaded Hornady XTPs fed fine.

Not an issue with me since I will always load factory Speer Gold Dots when carrying :yup:.

Bill

·
Registered
552 Posts
Next time you are at the gun store, try on a CZ. They tend to be good for smaller grips.
I'd have to agree with CZs especially the PCR and P-01 with the closer trigger. My last purchase was a Jericho 941 9mm compact and the grip and trigger are excellent for smaller hands. I think you'd be surprised how small the grip on these double stacks are AND the price on them is pretty good.

·
Registered
143 Posts
MgoBlue,

Very attractive grips on your EMP 9mm. But I kind of like the purchase I can get on the stock checkered grips, since I plan to CC with mine.

Bill
Bill,

You have to remember that mine is a 9mm 1911. I've kept the original grips, but they just sit in the box . . . since the recoil is amazingly tame. YMMV (since you're shooting a .40 S&W piece).

·
Registered
756 Posts
Thats a sweet little 1911. :eek:k:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts