Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tend to be a pretty positive person but I also like to look at dangers that are possible. I've decided to never be unarmed during the Holliday season. Oh, I'm rarely unarmed anyway and maybe I actually mean that I will be driving a bit more in Condition Orange and keeping an eye on the cars directly behind and on both sides of me. If I cannot carry I will not go into that area. I spent 24 years as a 11B and 19D and I kept my soldiers including young officers alive by not walking into ambushes and I see a reasonable similarity in today's world.

·
Super Moderator
18,052 Posts
Living in a small town in a rural area I doubt we will present a rich target for terrorist clowns but I will continue to carry wherever it is legal.

·
Registered
14,270 Posts
I carry the same as every day. 1911, 2 extra mags. AR pistol in the trunk, 6 extra 30 round mags. If I lived in a high threat environment I would keep the AR pistol up front.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Thank you for your service and actions to protect our fellow brothers. I also have a positive attitude, I'm positive that unless precluded by law that I will be carrying 24/7.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I was in Tampa and Charlotte Airports on Monday. Tampa= very well controlled, high visible security. Charlotte= Complete chaos target rich environment...the land of 10,000 backpacks. :icon_neutral:

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I pay attention and I don't stare into a iPhone while in public.. that's about it. I do not apply any sense of urgency to it unless I detect some concerning ripples in the water. If a person looks too hard, they will likely find what they think is a boogie man behind every blade of grass. I think the key is knowing what to look for and understanding how certain things impact your personal safety.

I think the biggest detriment to awareness now a days is the near constant use of personal devices. I spent the first 30 something years of my life only using a phone when I was at work or at home... I manage to do the same now. I check my phone 3 times a day for messages and texts. The rest of the time its in airplane mode if I am not talking on it. I don't surf the net on my phone and have only used the internet via a phone when I need gps. Tech is a good thing but I think we need to get our heads out of the matrix.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If you are carrying and (more importantly) remaining aware of your surroundings because that is a choice you have made as part of your commitment to self-reliance or a firm decision that if you are to become a victim you will go down fighting, then bravo, and well done.

If you are choosing to carry because of a specific threat from a terror organization, then please share with the rest of us so that we may evaluate that threat and determine if any specific action is appropriate on our part.

If you are choosing to carry because of your fear of a vague and not-clearly-defined threat associated in a general sense with a race, religion, or political ethos...you may want to re-evaluate your decision making process. Decisions made based on fear tend to be less effective overall than decisions made based on fundamental guiding principles and logical, reasoned deduction.

Oh...if it matters, my own commitment to self-reliance and to not being a helpless victim means that I will be carrying a double-stack semi-auto equipped with a weapon mounted light, at least one spare magazine, a knife suitable for defensive use, a multitool, and a flashlight at all times during the holiday season.

Strangely enough, that's exactly the same equipment that I EDC when it's not a holiday season.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
The only change I usually make when carrying over the holidays, is the 229 SAS stays in the safe while the 229 Stainless Elite gets the call. Maybe a 220 Elite or 226 Elite, but usually the 229.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Always packing, holidays or not. And maintaining situational awareness is a continual and routine practice. Even in the nicest places, you never know when something troublesome may pop up and if you can get a clue to it early enough, you may be able to avoid a dangerous confrontation completely.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I tend to be a pretty positive person but I also like to look at dangers that are possible. I've decided to never be unarmed during the Holliday season. Oh, I'm rarely unarmed anyway and maybe I actually mean that I will be driving a bit more in Condition Orange and keeping an eye on the cars directly behind and on both sides of me. If I cannot carry I will not go into that area. I spent 24 years as a 11B and 19D and I kept my soldiers including young officers alive by not walking into ambushes and I see a reasonable similarity in today's world.
I am not sure about the "current terrorist situation" as I wasn't aware there was anything specifically going on right now that would warrant me changing my normal behavior. I will say this, if you are driving in a car, then you should be paying attention to the vehicles all around you, regardless of any terrorist situation. That should just be a part of normal safe driving.

As for the terrorists, you really are pretty safe here in the US, statistically speaking. Simply put, if you are gearing up and being more vigilant because of a fear of terrorism, then you weren't geared up and ready for the much more likely and very real threats from muggers, robbers, rapists, murderers, big dogs, etc. Because of these very real threats, you probably should never go unarmed. That it is the holidays should not change a thing for you.

You should be vigilant all the time. You can be just as dead because of the idiot driver texting in the car behind you or from the convenience store robber as you would be from a terrorist, but you are many times more likely to run into the former than the latter.

Reactions: Doogie

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
I pay attention and I don't stare into a iPhone while in public.. that's about it. I do not apply any sense of urgency to it unless I detect some concerning ripples in the water. If a person looks too hard, they will likely find what they think is a boogie man behind every blade of grass. I think the key is knowing what to look for and understanding how certain things impact your personal safety.

I think the biggest detriment to awareness now a days is the near constant use of personal devices. I spent the first 30 something years of my life only using a phone when I was at work or at home... I manage to do the same now. I check my phone 3 times a day for messages and texts. The rest of the time its in airplane mode if I am not talking on it. I don't surf the net on my phone and have only used the internet via a phone when I need gps. Tech is a good thing but I think we need to get our heads out of the matrix.
I fear other people on the roads WAY more than I fear terrorists or even someone committing a crime against me. Law of averages. Doesnt stop me from going outside or driving tho (altho the number of pedestrians hit is appalling in this area)....but I try to be as aware as possible, and keep that as my 'normal' condition.

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
Thank you for your service and for your guidance of those under your command.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Living in a small town in a rural area I doubt we will present a rich target for terrorist clowns but I will continue to carry wherever it is legal.
Agreed. I live in a small subdivision 20 miles outside a large city. They probably 1) don't know we exist and 2) couldn't find me! Also, being surrounded by swamp (really!) on 3 sides is like a moat. Gators, snakes and all make good anti-terrorism defense. :yup:

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Holidays, terrorism, whatever, I go armed 24/7/365.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am continuing mynpolicy of always being armed wjenever it is legally permissable, but I am particularly vigilant on large gatherings which could be considered target rich environments by bad actors.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts