Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard from many people that it is against the law to CC in a bank, I have even seen no weapons signs at one of the banks I frequent. However as I research the topic there is no specific mention of banks in the Revised Code of Washington (RCW 9.41-300), but I know this is not an all inclusive list. Businesses have the right to restrict carry in their establishment and are required to post, but I have not found any definite “NO” in banks.

Just wondering if any one in Washington state has any input, or what the law says in your state.

·
Registered
38,083 Posts
Have you checked into the Federal laws on where firearme are NOT allowed? Banks fall under Federal jurisdiction.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Have you checked into the Federal laws on where firearme are NOT allowed? Banks fall under Federal jurisdiction.
I'm not sure if this is correct. Banks are usually chartered by the state in which the home office resides. While the FDIC provides insurance, and the FBI investigates robberies, I believe it's up to the individual state and/or bank to determine if carrying is allowed.

Here in NY, the only places that are no carry zones, as spelled out in state law, are federal offices, (Post Office, Social Security,etc), courts, and schools. Our banks here are not posted, and therefore able to carry in.

I would double-check state law, or ask an attorney.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Huh? Are you sure. The last I knew federal jurisdiction fell to federal properties. These include, but are not necessarily limited to, federal buildings, federal installations such as military posts, post offices, most military recruiting offices, etc.

Banks, which follow a good many federal and state regulations are not federal property as I know it.

In Kansas in order for a bank to fall into the "prohibited places" category they must be properly posted. Not so for post offices and the like.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
It is not illegal on a federal level to carry in a bank. I could not find anything about banks in http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/washington.pdf in the Washington state area so I would say unless they are posted you are good to go. I carry here in MN in my banks all the time.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
It’s up to your states law.

In Florida it’s “ok”.
Just make sure your concealed stays concealed

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I've yet to see any such statute toward any states that have been relevant to where I live or travel with any frequency, and thus carry.

Many banks have their own policies against firearms being brought on to their premises. So does 7-11 and Whole Foods.
Store based policies are not 'law'. Further how much teeth/weight they might have as related to state law varys greatly state to state. States like MA give those statements pretty much no weight at all. Akin to the 'No Solicitor' signs you see posted on peoples homes.

This is a common item that i too hear of and from what I've seen it's largely been by assumption, and urban legend.
Akin to it's not lawful to carry into a bar or it's not lawful to open carry or it's not lawful to carry concealed (!) or it's not lawful to swim doggy style on a Sunday.

Laws vary state to state across this land of the somewhat free and home to the functionally extinct 'brave'.

- Janq carries in to banks in MA and VA, lawfully

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Banks are privately owned or publicly owned business. Unless the government owns or holds shares (and I'm not going down that road) they not federal property.

They are insured by the FDIC which in itself is not a government agency.

Credit unions may be a different story.

ETA: Also search, this subject has been around before on DC.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Banned
1,438 Posts
carrying in a bank depends on state laws. they're not federal property, which is a common misconception. in PA, it's perfectly legal to CC or OC in a bank.

·
Registered
737 Posts
OK in GA. Signs don't have legal weight, so we avoid OC in banks that are posted. They can ask you to leave is about it. Conceal until your heart is content, however.

Retail banks are NOT federally prohibited. Regional Federal Reserve banks may be another story but I've never seen it in US Code.

·
Registered
88 Posts
No law against it in Texas, unless they post a sign forbidding it which is compliant with section 30.06 of the Texas Penal Code.
That was actually the frst place I carried.

I'm not a lawyer.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
As far as I know, in Berea KY, it is fine. No banks here have the no-gun sign posted anywhere. The only place you CAN NOT carry here is the post office and government buildings. (city hall police station etc.) which is understood anyway.

Best!

Craig

It's legal in Texas, unless they post a sign forbidding it which is compliant with section 30.06 of the Texas Penal Code. That was actually the frst place I carried. I'm not a lawyer.

·
Administrator
143,825 Posts
It's fine in my bank.
I would not do my banking at a bank where I could not carry into the bank.

My local bank manager carries but the Security Guard does not. Figure that one out. :confused:

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Oh one other thing as related to credit unions.

A credit union that has the word "federal" in it is not 'owned' by the government and is not a federalized public institution, such as the USPS or National Park Service.

All that the 'federal' means is that the banking institution has been chartered as following the rules and regs of the National Credit Union Administration. Other non 'federal' credit unions follow state bases rules and regs. That is all.
They are banks like any other.

Relevant reading:
Credit union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Federal Credit Union Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dual chartering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BUT...!!!

There are credit unions that are otherwise in free states/carry states located specifically as on _Federal_ grounds.
First that comes to mind for me is the Pentagon Federal Credit Union as well as the Navy Federal Credit Union.
Both of these entities have a presence in and among the 'Crystal City' commercial complex as among Arlington, VA.

Anyone who has worked within or among government as within or about the Beltway in DC/MD/VA knows that the Crystal City development, just a stones throw from the Pentagon and Arlington Cemetery, is a major hub of govt. business today.

By law in VA carry is lawful concealed or open.
By Federal law carry as onto govt. property including govt. use buildings and complexes is unlawful.
Crystal City is a commercial complex that is largely leased to govt. agencies and entities for governmental use. As well many commercial entities that do intergovernmental work also are locate within Crystal City buildings and even at times as within govt. leased office space.

Now the question of is it lawful to carry here, there or elsewhere such as to a 'bank' (fill in the blank 'federal' credit union) becomes tricky.
It matters not that the credit union is a federal charter or not. But what does matter is that the building space/grounds are not govt. property as by ownership or use (lease). Many of these building even have govt. security who do and will actively patrol as well as scan entrants including their cars at the exterior.

Additionally there are school/college/university credit unions for example; UMass Five College Credit Union which is in my zone.
Same very specific concern applies here as by the Federal 'Gun Control Act' of 1968 possession of a firearm (not just handgun) is expressly unlawful as on or among school grounds including buildings and other property, as related to interstate or intrastate commerce.

So items like this in specific which are as related to banking and federal operation or legality do apply.
But they are largely narrow per their locations typically being at/among no carry locations that them self are specifically addressed under federal laws.

My business is based in Arlington, VA and over the past 16 yrs. I've been to Crystal City location .gov/.mil offices more times than I care to recall.
As well living here in MA I am among five colleges all of whom own/lease off campus buildings and grounds including the Five Colleges Credit Union. Which is adjacent to the USFWS where I often go to have meetings. As I carry everywhere lawful, I do not park my car at either of these two locations when near them. Rather I'll remove _all_ arms/weaponry and securely 'store' them properly as per MA statute within my vehicles locked trunk as parked at either of two nearby commercial businesses. I'll then walk among the elements to my destination at the USFWS and across the Five College Credit Union grounds.

- Janq

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
This topic came up several times in DC before. Banks are not federal property (they might be soon, but not yet). Banks are insured by the FDIC, but it does not mean that they are federal property. Banks are private owned business like Wal-Mart or any other. Check the state law and see what it says about carrying in banks. I live in FL and I always CC when I am doing my banking. However, it should be illegal to carry if the bank is situated in a federal building or if the government owns it. Furthermore, banks can have own policy concerning firearms.

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
I am not sure that what you write is correct. I do not think that banks are Federal jurisdiction; not yet. I live in FL too and I always CC when I am doing my banking. Banks are private owned business like Wal-Mart or any other. Unless the bank is located in a federal building, the government owns it or the state law forbidden it, it is not illegal to carry in a bank.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts