Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering how people out there are carrying their SA autos, I do not mean holster type.
Do you carry:
-cocked and locked
-draw and cock
-draw and rack a round
-or some other way

CARRY ON!

·
Registered
606 Posts
1911, one in the pipe with hammer on first click up. I used to go cocked and locked but i found that the safety got bumped to fire once in a while.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Condition 1. Cocked & locked, ready to rock.

·
Super Moderator
17,098 Posts
Reactions: JDE101

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
This question or some variant of it must be the most asked on the interweb and yet I can't not answer - FNP45T in C1 on duty, Colt 1991A1 Commander or Compact in C1 off duty.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Cocked and locked is the way God and John Browning intended the 1911 to be carried.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
1911, one in the pipe with hammer on first click up. I used to go cocked and locked but i found that the safety got bumped to fire once in a while.
Assuming you're carrying a 1911 you still had at least two safeties backing the thumb safety up - they won't fire without the grip safety deactivated and the trigger pulled - no worries.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I have a pair of HK's (USP 9mm compact and HK45 compact) that I choose to carry cocked + locked. They could both be used DA/SA, but I prefer to operate them SAO.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Remember I am new to guns. I have not had a gun my entire life and I am 58 now. My wife and I recently got our CHL and I carry now regularly.
In my life I have NEVER had an instance where I could say - it would have been better with a gun (so far). Since it is not what I do for a living. I practice getting it out of the holster and removing the safety and racking a round. I can do it rather quickly.

Consequently I NEVER have a round in the chamber and it is not cocked and the safety is on (Sig Sauer P238)
Since accidents can happen, I would rather be safe than to be able to say that I could have fired 1 second sooner. Could I be wrong - yes - but the CHANCES are higher that I would cause myself damage or someone that I love damage if I do not take the maximum safety precautions.

Does one in the pipe and cocked and locked sound cooler - yup. But for me this is not a Bruce Willis competition or even a Steven Segal. It is simply safety. You have to do what is right for you. (IMHO).

Bill

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Remember there are "5" safeties on a modern 1911.

1.) Proper holster
2.) Safety switch
3.) Grip safety
4.) Your finger
5.) Your brain (Most Important one)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Cocked, locked and one in the chamber.

You may not have the time to jack around getting it ready to fire.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Remember there are "5" safeties on a modern 1911.

1.) Proper holster
2.) Safety switch
3.) Grip safety
4.) Your finger
5.) Your brain (Most Important one)
In some cases number 5.) might be missing.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Remember I am new to guns. I have not had a gun my entire life and I am 58 now. My wife and I recently got our CHL and I carry now regularly.
In my life I have NEVER had an instance where I could say - it would have been better with a gun (so far). Since it is not what I do for a living. I practice getting it out of the holster and removing the safety and racking a round. I can do it rather quickly.

Consequently I NEVER have a round in the chamber and it is not cocked and the safety is on (Sig Sauer P238)
Since accidents can happen, I would rather be safe than to be able to say that I could have fired 1 second sooner. Could I be wrong - yes - but the CHANCES are higher that I would cause myself damage or someone that I love damage if I do not take the maximum safety precautions.

Does one in the pipe and cocked and locked sound cooler - yup. But for me this is not a Bruce Willis competition or even a Steven Segal. It is simply safety. You have to do what is right for you. (IMHO).

Bill
As you get more comfortable with the gun, it will feel more natural. I have one single action that I do carry hammer down tho. Its safety doesn't lock the hammer like a 1911, So I carry it with one in the chamber and the hammer down. DR

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Hey Bill first welcome to the forum.

As has been stated the more you shoot it the more you may become comfortable with it. I carry all my SA autos 1911's, Browning Hi Power and SIG 238 with one in the pipe and safety on. You are correct though do what is comfortable for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am relatively new to cc and guns in general too but with alot of practice I have become much more comfortable with my weapon. I also carry the Sig p238 and carry it with one in the chamber, cocked and safety on. Watch this video and you can see we don't have as much time to chamber a round as we think we will.
Should You Carry A Round In The Chamber? - YouTube
Having said that you should carry how you're comfortable and not feel pressured to progress faster than you think is right for you.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I cc unchambered, hammer down, safety off on p238. Don't see the need for safety on. I also cc xds unchambered. That way there is no confusion. Just rack either. Only been cc for a couple weeks though so this may change, but this makes me comfortable.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I cc unchambered, hammer down, safety off on p238. Don't see the need for safety on. I also cc xds unchambered. That way there is no confusion. Just rack either. Only been cc for a couple weeks though so this may change, but this makes me comfortable.
You need to spend a lot of time at the range, and get more comfortable with your pistols and how they function. Try this, clear your gun and put all the ammo in a different room. Then clear your gun again, and again. Now holster it up, have your wife, brother, or someone stand 20 ft down the hall. Have them walk towards you, while you draw, rack and fire.

How did you do?

Now do it again and have them run at you.

How did that go?

Now stand in a darkened parking lot somewhere with a complete stranger you didn't notice was crouched between a couple cars jump up and scare the hell out of you, waving a butcher knife as he rushes you.

How's that gonna go?

I carry condition 1, practice quite often, and still worry I won't be fast enough.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I CC my 1911 with it cocked round in the chamber and safety on, or with my G26, cocked and round in the chamber. A proper holster will help A LOT with your piece of mind. Make sure it covers the whole trigger so there is no chance of it accidentally going off in the holster. SHTF gear makes great holsters.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts