Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the most effective response so far to terrorists on planes (think of the flight over Pennsylvania, the shoe bomber and the most recent incident over Detroit), I think there might be a groundswell of support for deputizing certain licensed concealed carry holders to be pemitted to carry concealed handguns on all flights within the continental borders of the U.S.

It would be relatively simple to set up computer verification of a CC holder's permit at the check-in gate and would free up the trained air marshals to deal with international flights. Perhaps a database of qualified IDPA and IPSC shooters could be established to make certain the CC holder is proficient and rated at least Expert or Master with his weapon.

What a deterrent!!! Once the terrorists realized they were potentially surrounded by gun-toting citizens, they might hesitate to plan some of these attacks.

What do you think? So far the unarmed passengers have proven to be the most effective at thwarting their plans ...

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Will never happen.

That would require deputizing citizens at the Federal level and offering them civil immunity too.
It would make more sense and better logistics to assign military protective agents to flights ala the Coast Guard as in concept.

- Janq

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I would sign up in a heartbeat. Just because somebody has renewed their ccw permit for the last 50 years does not reflect when the last time they fired the gun.

I would take the FAMS class if possible just for the close combat training.

Or just pass out bats to random people.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Agree it will never happen, and to be honest, I don't think it would help at all. Remember, all of the recent hijackings were SUICIDE missions. They were planning on dying along with everyone in the plane. How would the threat of being shot prevent that?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
nope the anti's would come up with all their BS... "Oh what if someone takes the gun from the person and uses it on other people?" to much risk as far as i see...

But how about every flight Attendant must be federally certified and take a courses....

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Im reminded of Star Ship Troopers, "The enemy can not push a button if you immobilize his hand!"-Sgt Zimmerman after throwing a knife into a trainees hand.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Given the most effective response so far to terrorists on planes (think of the flight over Pennsylvania, the shoe bomber and the most recent incident over Detroit), I think there might be a groundswell of support for deputizing certain licensed concealed carry holders to be pemitted to carry concealed handguns on all flights within the continental borders of the U.S.

It would be relatively simple to set up computer verification of a CC holder's permit at the check-in gate and would free up the trained air marshals to deal with international flights. Perhaps a database of qualified IDPA and IPSC shooters could be established to make certain the CC holder is proficient and rated at least Expert or Master with his weapon.

What a deterrent!!! Once the terrorists realized they were potentially surrounded by gun-toting citizens, they might hesitate to plan some of these attacks.

What do you think? So far the unarmed passengers have proven to be the most effective at thwarting their plans ...
I think you need to be a fully trained LEO - with extra emphasis on aviation protection. So no - bad idea. I would not want just anyone with a permit\license to board a plane with a firearm.

·
Super Moderator
24,471 Posts
groundswell of support for deputizing certain licensed concealed carry holders to be pemitted to carry concealed handguns on all flights within the continental borders
Nope. Never. Ain't gonna happen.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I think that we should look closely at how the Israelis (El Al) handle in-flight security. Instead of deferring responsibility to the government (such as our Federal Air Marshals), the airline provides its own in-house private security officers for every flight. They are HEAVILY armed, and supposedly most are former Mossad or Israeli Special Forces.

Honestly, I dont understand why US airlines havent done this already. They own/lease the aircraft, not the government. The airlines have a vested interest in keeping their customers and employees safe, and aircraft intact. Thus, the airlines should have the right to place armed security personnel onboard if they wish, because it is impossible for a FAM to be on every flight.

·
Registered
686 Posts
First it will never happen.
Second it is not a good idea in my view.

Regards,
Jerry
Jerry,

Any particular reason it's not "a good idea" in your view? That's the same attitude that the anti's have about carry in all circumstances.

While I agree that it won't happen any time soon, that's for political reasons, not because of any safety issues.

I'll pose the same question to flyboy....

--Jim

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think that we should look closely at how the Israelis (El Al) handle in-flight security. Instead of deferring responsibility to the government (such as our Federal Air Marshals), the airline provides its own in-house private security officers for every flight. They are HEAVILY armed, and supposedly most are former Mossad or Israeli Special Forces.

Honestly, I dont understand why US airlines havent done this already. They own/lease the aircraft, not the government. The airlines have a vested interest in keeping their customers and employees safe, and aircraft intact. Thus, the airlines should have the right to place armed security personnel onboard if they wish, because it is impossible for a FAM to be on every flight.
+1
If you have a large group of customers or friends, such as a concert, wedding, gun show, or sale, you have to provide your own security. It's not that far of a leap to airlines providing for the safety of their customers during flights, and much more likely than allowing CC on flights.

·
Registered
42 Posts
While I agree with most, that it'll never happen it is an interesting idea - an auxiliary or reserve cadre of the Air Marshall's.

It would be a logistical nightmare. In addition to the problems mentioned by other posters already: 1) coordination of the activity of multiple armed auxilists/reservists on the same flight (who most likely have no experience with one another); and 2) qualification, training and certification would seem to be a daunting task for an organization already understaffed and underfunded.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Would I still be allowed to have a Bloody Mary and go to sleep?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
As far as genral CWP being a license to carry on a plane, I don't think that is a good idea. Your suggestion to have registered Masters or Experts be a requirement is getting closer to what would seem logical. How about one step further, if they created a class/certification program with deputy air marshal (specifically for purpose of security on a plane with no other duties or responsibilites). I think there are plenty of us in the CC community who would be willing to go through the hastle and jump through the hoops to be able to protect ourselves on airplanes.

As good as it sounds though, I still can't see it ever happening. And with the way our government is trying to grab as much power as possible in any area, I don't think we should expect the privatization of air security anytime soon either.

·
Registered
315 Posts
How about one step further, if they created a class/certification program with deputy air marshal (specifically for purpose of security on a plane with no other duties or responsibilites). I think there are plenty of us in the CC community who would be willing to go through the hastle and jump through the hoops to be able to protect ourselves on airplanes.
+1 :hand10:

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Will never happen. It would create more problems than it could probably solve.

·
Registered
315 Posts

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I like the way the Israeli's do things. If there is one thing they do right, its security.

Anyway, for the idea of letting any joker with a weekend ccw class under his belt carry in a aluminum tube thousands of feet in the air with hundreds of lives in his hands... no thanks.
There is a whole lot more to the job at hand than strapping a gun on. Last I heard, bringing a gun to a bomb fight is kinda like bringing a knife to a gun fight; it's winnable, but you better be damn sure you know what you're doing.

I know I'll catch a little heat from this, but oh well, Flame on flamers.

·
Registered
110 Posts
First it will never happen.
Second it is not a good idea in my view.

Regards,
Jerry
I actually agree with this statement.

Citizens who have not gotten into trouble with the law are allowed to purchase and own firearms.

In many states, if you can purchase a firearm, you are unlikely to be prevented from applying for, and being issued a license to carry.

A large number of those states that "Shall Issue" do not have a training requirement. Most of the ones that do have a rather pathetic training requirement.

A License to carry a firearm does not automatically mean the person carrying it is competent in using their firearm. Deputizing people simply because they have the license does indeed sound like a bad idea to me.

Now, If the air-marshals wanted to put on regional close quarters, defensive firearms training classes, and require quarterly/bi-annual/annual refreshers to be deputized, including a legal course in what IS and ISN'T appropriate. I'd be all for it.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts