Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What defines "open carry"? To me, when I hear somebody is "open carrying" a firearm, I think of a rifle slung across the back. However, after hanging out here, I think there is more to it than that. If I have a handgun holstered, but in visible sight, is that open carry?

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
You've got it.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
OC = open carry (in plain sight). CC = concealed carry...not in plain sight.

Are there other kinds of sight?
Yes.......fore-sight, and hind-sight, and eyesight.

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
Could be CC and not the intended OC if only the upper portion shows as in IWB carry.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup. Depending where you are there are legal issues.
What kind of issues? I'm in NC and I don't think OC is an issue, just not reccomended.
I carry concealed (with permit) but sometimes it becomes exposed due to the holster I use.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ok, I think I know what you're getting at, and you really need to check the law of your state on this. Your style of carry appears similar to mine-sort of a "casual concealed." In Indiana, open or concealed is fine (and points in between). I conceal, but don't sweat it if my gun peeks out or can be partially seen-like the bottom of the holster showing.

·
Banned
1,438 Posts
in PA, there's no gray area. if you can see it, even if it's only the grip, it's OC. if it's totally covered, even if you're printing badly, it's still CC.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Pretty simple...:yup:
If anyone can see that you have a gun, it's not CC.:blink:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would definately check the local laws before I open carried, I live in fl where open carry isn't accepted. I do carry conceal and would open carry if I could.

·
Banned
2,095 Posts
NC is technically an OC state. However, it's certainly not common, and if you decide to exercise your rights in this state, be prepared to deal with freaked out citizens, curious LEOs, and the likley MWAG call to 911.

NC also has a hinky law about going armed to the terror of the public. It's really about brandishing, but could be invoked depending on the circumstances. It doesn't preclude OC, but is one of those weird legalities in this state. Also, certain comminities - especially in the Triangle - have all kinds of local restrictions on OC.

I prefer to simply CC to avoid questions.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As far as i have been told here in Nevada, Open carry is only if the entire gun/holster is visible. Even if just a little bit is covered with an open jacket flap or t-shirt hanging over the top, it is considered CC

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
in PA, there's no gray area. if you can see it, even if it's only the grip, it's OC. if it's totally covered, even if you're printing badly, it's still CC.
Virginia is similar.

Although there can be some gray areas, in some of the more anti jurisdictions. (Hey, that's why they are called legal opinions.)

As we can OC in a club or restaurant that sells on premises alcohol but not CC there, the issue usually comes up around the Va Tuck in such an establishment.

Generally speaking the grip & the back end of the slide, or grip and hammer or back of the hammer shroud, is enough.

However, there is also a question of "deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature."

§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, .... For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
However, there is also a question of "deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature."
This sound to me as if it's directed more towards cane guns, pen guns and cell phone guns.

I don't think even this would be considered Deceptive appearance:

nokia gun.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts