Defensive Carry banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say you have a CCW in your current state, but you're moving to another state halfway across the country. You plan to drive to your new residence, crossing several state lines. You will pass through only states with reciprocity with your current state. Can you legally conceal carry? What issues should you look into to make sure you're complying with the law?

It seems that one big issue is this: once you've moved out of your residence and you're on your way to your new residence in another state, is your CCW still valid?

Note that I'm not asking about transporting firearms, but carrying your sidearm. For example, you stop along the way and go to a restaurant while carrying your pistol.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Having moved twice I can only tell you my experience while becoming a resident. Both Idaho and Montana require 6 months living in state to become a resident. When I called the Sheriff's Dept. they both said my carry license was good from my former state during that 6 months but, not after that and encouraged me to not wait until the last minute as an appointment was required and depending on what county you lived in could be several weeks out.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Each state is different. Some states state that your permit is void once you change residence from their state to another state. Others allow your permit to remain valid for a period of time. Check your state's permit laws at Handgunlaw.us to make sure or contact an attorney that specializes in firearms law.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks -- I was curious about the "pass through" states in my multi-day cross-country drive. Once you've moved out of a state, does your permit continue to be valid, and for how long and under what condition? That seems like a situation that most state laws don't address.

Even though I'll be passing through and moving to a friendly state, my destination seems to required an in-state permit for residents. I guess that's where I have to start checking. If they won't allow carry, then I probably can't have a gun on the trip. Not very reassuring to travel unarmed.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Thanks -- I was curious about the "pass through" states in my multi-day cross-country drive. Once you've moved out of a state, does your permit continue to be valid, and for how long and under what condition? That seems like a situation that most state laws don't address.
Sounds to me like that's a matter of where you're coming from and where you're going to. And you're right - it's not really addressed, so local laws are also going to have a factor. As will courts and juries, if it comes to that.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If you intend to carry while in route to your new state there are a few things you will need to do to be sure you are not in violation of any state laws.

1st: Check each state you will be traveling thru or in for reciprocity with your issuing state.
2nd: Check each states laws on concealed carry as they most probably will be different from your state in certain instances.
3rd: Know each states laws on having a firearm in a vehicle as you may find you will need to store your weapon while in some states.

Yes it is time consuming but well worth the effort in lieu of what may happen to you if you are found in violation in another state.

·
Registered
862 Posts
If you old home state permit is good when you arrive in your new home state, you are covered. If not, You might want to look into a Non-Resident permit in a state other than the one you are leaving or moving to. If the state you are moving out of, the state you are moving into, and the ones you will be traveling through, I think the Non-Resident Permit would cover you.

If you give us the states involved, we might be able to answer you question, but it is best if you get your info from the states involved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts