Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a 73 year old that has no inclination to “carry “.
I do, however, want to carry a loaded revolver in my truck.
Right now I carry the firearm in a zippered case and the ammo in a separate compartment. I think that complies with law.
Do you think it would even be worth the trouble to pay for and get a CCP?
I do limit where I go and when I go. But you never know.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
It would likely depend on what state you are in, sir. Many states specify carry to be required in a locked compartment, etc. It's always good to look at the specific language in your state's statutes to be sure you are in compliance. For instance, in Arizona, it is legal to carry a loaded revolver in the glove box, or laying on the seat. In California, you would get locked up even if it were not loaded.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I would get the permit and abide by YOUR state laws!

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
I would get a concealed carry permit. It's easy there, and not a great deal of money, since you don't need to take a "weapons proficiency class/range test". I know because I lived in Dunwoody, Ga. Then you can carry a loaded firearm as you see fit!

Reactions: Henry9008

·
Registered
158 Posts
As a secondary purpose, I always considered my permit a 'Get out of Jail' card. If I were to make a transportation error going to or from a shooting outing, things that would be illegal without a permit (license here) would be allowed.

·
Registered
36,284 Posts
Just a thought: Having a gun in the truck when you're not in it is as useful as having a gun at home when you're not home.

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
The permit is definitely worth getting. The current setup of weapon and ammo separated in truck are worthless should you need the weapon - you will not have time. Should one somehow survive no DA is going to believe the weapon and ammo were stored separately.

Reactions: Henry9008

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Another benefit of the permit is if you should go out of state. You would be able to have the gun with you in several states.

·
Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Having an unloaded gun with ammo in a different place is like not having a gun at all. If someone tries to carjack you, there is no way possible for you to get the gun in time to do any good. They will wind up with your truck AND your gun and ammo! If you are going to ever carry a gun in any way, get the permit.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I am a 73 year old that has no inclination to “carry “.
I do, however, want to carry a loaded revolver in my truck.
Right now I carry the firearm in a zippered case and the ammo in a separate compartment. I think that complies with law.
Do you think it would even be worth the trouble to pay for and get a CCP?
I do limit where I go and when I go. But you never know.
You need to re-read Georgia law for yourself regarding firearms. Georgia law does not prohibit you from carrying a loaded firearm either in the vehicle or on your person in the vehicle if you are not prohibited from possessing a firearm. There ARE, however, locations you cannot go without the firearm being locked in a box, and even then, you must have a CCP. Easy answer is, get a CCP and follow the laws of Georgia.

ETA: an unloaded gun in your car is an expensive rock. When you need it, you'll not have time to load it.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I know people that don't carry.
The thought of being unarmed and at the "mercy" of criminal(s) has zero appeal to me.
I carry everywhere legal and avoid places I can't.

Reactions: Orive 8

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,424 Posts
If you aren't going to carry a loaded gun when and where legal, I would leave the gun at home and buy some pepper spray.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Old but true, "If you need a gun at all - you need it really bad!".

Reactions: ctr

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
An unloaded gun and ammunition not easy to get to is useless unless you have a crystal ball and know then trouble will come knocking
My purpose so far was to get to and from local pistol range or to travel to Florida to visit grandson where we go to the range there.
Since the recent riots etc my reasons have changed.
I agree if carried in car for personal protection it is worthless unless loaded.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm not a lawyer. But it seems to me that having a permit puts you in a better place legally then not having one. Just remember there frequently is two "rounds" of legal issues after a shooting - criminal and civil. And there's a reason that carry insurance goes WAY up when you add in civil protection. Because in a civil case, even if you win you've lost.

So what I am trying to say - get your permit. You can still keep your revolver in your glove box. But you will not be handing "ammunition" to some hot shot lawyer who wants to take away everything you have worked for all your life.

And one other thing I want to say - to quote John Lennon - in regards to actually carrying - "I hope one day you'll join us, and the world will live as one'. :)

Join us!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'll chime in and add I think go ahead and get it. Sounds like you might be in Georgia or at least going to Florida? Probably gonna want one.

Would have maybe said not worth it if you could legally car carry or have constitutional carry.

Definitely check the laws.

I will also second what others have said that the concealed license does give you a lot more flexibility and makes things that might be illegal without a permit now OK. There are a lot of weird rules out there sometimes.

·
Registered
36,284 Posts
In FL, anyone who can legally possess a handgun can conceal it in their vehicle:

POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.—Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

That covers "in" the vehicle only. Out side of a vehicle you will need a concealed carry permit/license honored by FL. Having a permit simplifies things.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts