Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I new here and have a question for all the long time CCW people. What is the appropriate protocol for drinking while carrying? I'm not talking fall down drunk, but like having a couple of drinks/beers at dinner. Is that acceptable behavior? Do the same rules for DUI apply. Or is it just don't drink and carry? I'm not a regular drinker, but do like to have a couple while out for dinner every now and then.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
First, welcome to the forum.

Second, check your state laws.

Third, my opinion. My personal rule is guns and booze don't mix. Yes, I'll have a gun in my house and I'll have a drink or two, but I won't touch the guns. And if I am going out and I know I'll have a drink (say dinner or something), the gun stays at home.

Remember, self defense is usually a reasonable person standard (check your state laws). The more you drink, the less "reasonable" you may become.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
What is the appropriate protocol for drinking while carrying?
Don't. That's most appropriate, given all the various situations that could occur.

For myself, though, I don't really drink. Hardly ever, and hardly at all when I do. So, I don't mind having three or four sips of wine, as it's all but guaranteed to have zero effect on anyone, particularly if during a meal. Still, even if it's not going to affect a person, it's still going to smell on the breath. Something to think about, when considering what could occur if stopped by an LEO on the way from the restaurant/bar/wherever.

The worst of all possible situations, of course, is in self-defense situations where the imbibing ends up being sufficient that your judgment is actually impaired, or at least where you had enough that others are legitimately claiming your judgment was impaired. That can be an accusation that is extremely expensive to counter, no matter what else can be said.

And the easiest way to avoid all of that? Just don't drink.

That being said, in states that don't criminalize mere drinking, in states that actually require intoxication to a fixed standard, where you decide your comfort level is is one of the responsibilities you have as a citizen carrier. Just consider all aspects, all possibilities ... and decide accordingly. After all, it's your hide on the line. Just realize it's going to be the responsibility of others, that fine collection of 12 peers on the jury + the DA, to determine the reasonableness of your actions and the accusations against you if something does occur. What your opinions on the matter might be won't amount to much, really. Something to think about.

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
Depends on your state laws and how you *believe you* handle your liquor.

Are you driving? For me, that is certainly much more an influence on my decisions re: drinking.

My cc weapon is more like a cell phone. It's generally there *unless there is a reason* for it not to be. Going out for the evening and possibly drinking has no effect on that decision however the possibility of going to an establishment where my firearm is prohibited (anywhere where under 21 are not allowed) does.

I am waayyyy past the days of getting drunk or even overconsuming and that was never really on my agenda in the past either.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,794 Posts
It depends on your state laws. My wife and I both carry. When we go out to a function involving alcohol, one of us is the designated driver and designated concealed carrier depending on who's function it is.

Reactions: ccw9mm

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I think it's generally a bad idea to consume alcohol while in possession of a firearm. Even if you aren't drinking enough to be intoxicated, if you ever have to use the firearm, the fact that you were drinking could come into play.

In my opinion, you should choose what you value more: having a few drinks or carrying a firearm.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As others have already said, check your state laws first. If the prohibit drinking while carrying you definitely don't want to do it. Guns and alcohol don't mix, you see examples all the time where the results of mixing them lead to disastrous results.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
There is not much I can add to with what has already been said. I don't drink, but even if I did, I would say it is not a good idea to consume and carry.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Kentucky: 237.110 "(16) Except as provided in KRS 527.020, no license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person
to carry a concealed firearm into:
[some stuff snipped for space]
Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose;"

I'm guessing that means don't hang out in bars. :) That section didn't mention anything about absolute sobriety while carrying, but I'll chime in with the others expressing the opinion that carrying and drinking is a bad idea. As mentioned above, if you had to use your weapon and had been drinking, who knows how that would play out even if you were not intoxicated by any means.

-KY law found via handgunlaw.us

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Either carry...or drink. Not both.

The law may say one thing, the court of public opinion is what will convict ALL carriers of drinking and carrying.

Reactions: Nix

·
Registered
289 Posts
Nebraska is pretty clear. Don't do it:
A permit holder shall not carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or while there is any previously consumed alcohol or controlled substance as defined in Nebraska Revised Statutes § 28-401 of the statutes in his or her blood, urine, or breath unless the controlled substance was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically prescribed amounts.
I'm not really sure what the actual limit is, but "any previously consumed alcohol" is clearly well below what is allowable for DUI.

·
Registered
368 Posts
As a former bartender of 6.5 years, I can tell you that people let "just one" turn into "just one" more, all too often. Nobody puts glass to their lips thinking that they'll be the one who screws up.

My magic number is zero drinks.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the replies guys. While both my wife and I are planning on getting ccdw's soon, I'm still trying to learn the dos and don'ts. All of you said what I thought would be the way to go. I figure one of us will carry/drive and the other have a couple.

Also, I want to say that it's nice to ask a basic question and not get slammed and insulted for not already knowing the answer. Most forums these days are as much about name calling as they are about the topic the forum is set up for.

·
Registered
291 Posts
In Virginia you can concealed carry into bars and restaurants, but you cannot drink ANY alcohol. Do that and get caught, and you get arrested. Now if you open carry, which is legal without a permit here, you can drink. Weird but true.

That said, I won't even dry fire inside my home if I've had a drink. Guns and alcohol simply do not mix. So when I go out, I decide whether I'm going to drink or carry. My alcohol consumption has declined significantly since I got my CHL!!

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. While both my wife and I are planning on getting ccdw's soon, I'm still trying to learn the dos and don'ts. All of you said what I thought would be the way to go. I figure one of us will carry/drive and the other have a couple.
Take your time. Get it right. Think hard, and think it through. There's a good reason for most of the statutes, infringements upon the 2A though most of them are. It's important to understand the basic rationale. As for situations that occur every day (as evidenced by the news stories we all see), think those situations through as though you two were experiencing them as the intended victims. What would you do; how would you handle it; what options would you have to survive those situations; what about variations on those situations? Work hard to identify the mindset, awareness and strength to identify such situations and options with as great a clarity and ruthlessness as you're capable of doing. Training can help a lot, in this area. So can lots of reading, discussions with others. Seek out the "good eggs" in your sheriff/police departments; quality instructors, from all over the country.

BTW, I took a good couple of years of evaluation and work to get myself to the point I felt comfortable with carrying, and by that time I was fairly competent with my weapon, knew the statutes cold, and had answered for myself a number of tough questions (which we all need to do, IMO): http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...ng-did-you-go-through.html?highlight=thinking .

Also, I want to say that it's nice to ask a basic question and not get slammed and insulted for not already knowing the answer. Most forums these days are as much about name calling as they are about the topic the forum is set up for.
There's a pretty good bunch here. As with any place, you'll find a few rotten apples in the barrel. But the moderators are pretty astute and don't tolerate harassment, spiteful rudeness or all the rest of the crap that are hallmarks of many other forums. Leverage that little <report post> button that's at the lower-left corner of every post you see on the forums, if you come across garbage that the moderators need to take action on. It works very well.

Welcome to DefensiveCarry. Glad to have you aboard.

And, welcome to the wonderful new responsibilities of being an armed citizen. May you never, ever be disarmed again. :eek:k:

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I might have a[ one] glass of wine or a beer with dinner[ and that depends on what I'm eating] other than that no way. My going out and having a few drinks days are far and few between if I do the gun stays at home.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts