Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I don't see any recent posts so maybe we can visit this now. If this is in the wrong area, Moderator please move it.

I've been carrying for a number of years and have ben lucy enough not to have to draw my weapon in a self defense situation. My thoughts are though, if I ever am placed in that position and have to defend myself, a loved one, or anyone in mortal danger I would like to have some form of insurance to protect my family from financial ruin. Does anyone else have this philosophy, and if so what company do you use? Also is the insurance affordable?

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I too have been considering some type of insurance but after watching the big trial going on right now I am not so sure. I can easily see how a prosecutor could spin the fact that you have insurance into some type of premeditation. He could say that you knew you were going to kill someone or you wouldn't have purchased the insurance. I dunno. I'll watch this thread.

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
As I understand it, a typical homeowner's policy will cover something like an accidental shooting of a guy you only mean to hold at gunpoint, which is why in a civil suit they sometimes argue that the shooting was unintentional when it wasn't; if you deliberately kill someone without justification they can soak you, but if you accidentally kill someone, they can soak your insurance company, which is much more lucrative.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
One option to check into (though, not so much a financial thing): Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network.

I too have been considering some type of insurance but after watching the big trial going on right now I am not so sure. I can easily see how a prosecutor could spin the fact that you have insurance into some type of premeditation. He could say that you knew you were going to kill someone or you wouldn't have purchased the insurance. I dunno. I'll watch this thread.
No more "premeditated" than having car "crash" insurance. No more indicative of a desire to crash than having grabbed the keys that morning. No more indicative than a state having SYG or "Castle" statutes.

·
Banned
2,030 Posts
About a year ago I had the same thoughts and checked with my insurance agent. I told him I was considering getting additional liability insurance just to cover me should something happen in a self defense situation. He assured me that my homeowners would cover me in all cases...as long as I was not doing anything illegal. And, yes, it will cover legal fees. Check with your homeowner carrier before you spend money on something you might not need. good luck

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I understand it, a typical homeowner's policy will cover something like an accidental shooting of a guy you only mean to hold at gunpoint, which is why in a civil suit they sometimes argue that the shooting was unintentional when it wasn't; if you deliberately kill someone without justification they can soak you, but if you accidentally kill someone, they can soak your insurance company, which is much more lucrative.
Just holding the guy at gunpoint may not be an option, and I wold never "deliberately" kill another human being. The problem lies in the fact if you pull a firearm to protect yourself you may end up killing that person. If you are forced to draw your weapon, then you will more than likely fire and the end result is not something you can predict. If you are being actively attacked by a knife wielding assailant, and you HAVE to shoot that person, you will still be sued. I am not to sure that homeowners will cover something such as this, but I haven't asked my agent either.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One option to check into (though, not so much a financial thing): Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network.

No more "premeditated" than having car "crash" insurance. No more indicative of a desire to crash than having grabbed the keys that morning. No more indicative than a state having SYG or "Castle" statutes.
Armed Citizens' Legal Defense is a god idea, I'll look into this.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
About a year ago I had the same thoughts and checked with my insurance agent. I told him I was considering getting additional liability insurance just to cover me should something happen in a self defense situation. He assured me that my homeowners would cover me in all cases...as long as I was not doing anything illegal. And, yes, it will cover legal fees. Check with your homeowner carrier before you spend money on something you might not need. good luck
Who are you insured with?

·
Banned
2,030 Posts
Who are you insured with?
Allstate...they have our house and the cars. The agent told me that Allstate was developing some insurance policies specifically for firearms. The way he was talking it sounded like most insurance companies were going to start offering specific types of coverage. After he assured me I didn't need any further insurance, I stopped listening. good luck

·
Registered
1,369 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
I believe a homeowners policy will only cover you on your property. If your downtown at a movie, restaurant, mall, they won't cover you.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network is one of the largest and oldest. Second Call Defense (West Chester, Ohio) is newer and not as well known, but offers some other options and NRA/Lockton insurance coverage as part of membership. US Concealed Carry has insurance/etc, but ACLDN or Second Call looked like better idea. Maybe others out there. My wife and I are members of the ACLDN, but we plan to change to Second Call since they're local to us (local lawyers we know/etc). I have carried the NRA/Lockton insurance for several years. NRA/Lockton self-defense (reimbursement) insurance is about the only liability insurance of this type available.

·
Banned
1,774 Posts
Why is it the BG's never even give a thought to lawsuits ? Surely there are times that their actions would dictate a victim filing a suit against them. I know you all will be quick to say that the BG's don't own anything worth suing for, but by the same token a lot of us don't either.

·
Registered
591 Posts
You need to talk to him again 'cause he was probably wrong. Your homeowners policy protects you against ACCIDENTS not against intentional acts. If you shoot someone by accident you might get coverage in a civil case but homeowners DOES NOT cover you for criminal cases / intentional acts. Since criminal acts are, by definition, intentional, you can't buy insurance to defend yourself in criminal court -- think it through.

Incidentally, the NRA or the USCCA program is not traditional insurance. Those 'policies' say they will REIMBURSE you for expenses if you are acquitted or the charges are dropped. You have to foot the bill for criminal defense yourself and hope that you win. If you are convicted, the civil suit for your intentional act is a foregone conclusion.

If you are acquitted, you may have some protection in some states against civil suits but in others, you could still be sued in civil court for damages (e.g. O.J. Simpson). Please DO NOT ASSUME that your homeowners policy will cover you in criminal court.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am a licensed, independent Insurance Agent in the State of Indiana. I represent a number of major national and regional insurance companies. I cannot speak for ALL of them, but I researched policies from several of my providers, [PLEASE NOTE, I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY AND AM NOT OFFERING LEGAL ADVICE] and they DO extend liability coverage to bodily injury "which is expected and intended by an insured..." "...resulting from the use of reasonable force by an insured to protect persons or property...". Having said that, I would assume that it must be a 'righteous', legal shoot. Again, I am not trying to give "legal advice" to anyone - but I would tell my clients what I said here - your existing homeowners insurance should provide coverage. Since most homeowners policies have personal liability limits of either $100,000 or $300,000 - I would also recommend purchasing a 'personal Umbrella' policy to extend your coverage up to $1,000,000 or more. These policies are very reasonable. The bottom line - GO TALK WITH YOUR AGENT! If you have an "800 number company" - leave them, AND GO FIND AN AGENT!

·
Banned
2,030 Posts
I believe a homeowners policy will only cover you on your property. If your downtown at a movie, restaurant, mall, they won't cover you.
Actually, it will. I made sure to ask that question.

·
Banned
2,030 Posts
You need to talk to him again 'cause he was probably wrong. Your homeowners policy protects you against ACCIDENTS not against intentional acts. If you shoot someone by accident you might get coverage in a civil case but homeowners DOES NOT cover you for criminal cases / intentional acts. Since criminal acts are, by definition, intentional, you can't buy insurance to defend yourself in criminal court -- think it through.

Incidentally, the NRA or the USCCA program is not traditional insurance. Those 'policies' say they will REIMBURSE you for expenses if you are acquitted or the charges are dropped. You have to foot the bill for criminal defense yourself and hope that you win. If you are convicted, the civil suit for your intentional act is a foregone conclusion.

If you are acquitted, you may have some protection in some states against civil suits but in others, you could still be sued in civil court for damages (e.g. O.J. Simpson). Please DO NOT ASSUME that your homeowners policy will cover you in criminal court.
I'm sorry, sir, but you just quoted back to me what I said in my post. My homeowners will NOT cover illegal activities on my part. In the state of Wisconsin, if a self defense episode is deemed justifiable, the recipient of that action or their families cannot sue. In other states, that's not necessarily the law. good luck

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
When I renewed my homeowners insurance my agent pointed out the terms of my policy to include the possibility of an accidental shooting, I am covered up to the limits of my policy. I am also protected by the Castle Doctrine in the case of a legal SD/HD shooting that disallows any civil action by the bad guy or his survivors.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts