Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the likelihood of being granted a CCW license if you have mild mental illness? I submitted my application in Orange County, California. I had to disclose that I've been treated for mild and manageable mental illness. Never had any hospitalizations, 5150s, suicide attempts, history of violence, or anything like that.

But there are a lot of stereotypes. Do they reject you out of hand? Does it depend on the condition?

Anyone with experience or knowledge?

·
Registered
8,555 Posts
I respectfully suggest that this is not the right place to get reliable information on your question. It is going to depend on the illnesses you had and the current policies of the OC sheriff's department. Even if someone here had a similar experience at one time, their outcome is not going to predict your outcome. People here will try to be helpful and they will give you their best guess, but that is all it will be.

My suggestions are:
  • Contact the sheriff's office's CCW section and ask them. You apparently have already gone on record with them about your illness, so you have nothing to lose by asking them.
  • Consult an attorney who has expertise in this area.
  • If you really want online advice, ask your question of a source that is closer to the problem. Calguns.net has a CCW subforum that has an Orange County specific subsection. So everyone on that subsection is much closer to the heart of the matter.

·
Registered
8,555 Posts
I wonder how many people suffer from mild forms of depression and will never seek help from fear of losing their gun rights?
I don't know how it is elsewhere, but looking at the 4473, my state's CHL application and the applications for the other four states I have, or have had, CCW permits in, the forms don't ask about voluntary outpatient mental health treatment. The questions I see are things like inpatient/residential/court ordered mental health treatment and also domestic abuse stuff. So I can't see treatment for mild depression even coming up the places I've been.

From the medical side, I simply would not answer firearms questions from any medical professional. BTW, I hear a lot about that, but I have seen many, many doctors over the years for all kinds of things and I have never once been asked about guns.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
....From the medical side, I simply would not answer firearms questions from any medical professional. BTW, I hear a lot about that, but I have seen many, many doctors over the years for all kinds of things and I have never once been asked about guns.
My wife and I have been going to our GP for years, and have liked him a lot. But this past annual physical in May, he asked me about firearms in my home for the first time. I let him know in no uncertain terms that that was none of his business and that he was not to ask me that again. We'll see what happens on the next physical. If he brings it up again, he will cease to be my GP.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Viviandarkbloom, from Arizona. I wish you luck in your quest. Orange county does have a fairly good CCW issuance record and will certainly be your best source of information. Check the County sheriff's website; there is usually much pertinent information about the requirements and application for a CCW on the issuing agency's website.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Haven't been asked that question yet. But my response would be "Don't have any firearms. I prefer victimhood. Now about my actual reason for our visit....................................".

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
If you are applying for a California license, I would see if their is a source data for California. I left California years ago. Last I heard the Sheriff issued permits, and most Sheriff's weren't issuing permits to commoners. Hopefully it has changed for the better.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am in one of the most liberal states, Illinois. I have been diagnosed with PTSD for the last 15 years. I have been VOLUNTEERLY admitted to one civilian and one VA mental health facility for mental exhaustion. I even have a PTSD service dog(s). I also have a CCW.

Was I afraid I would lose my 2A right when I needed help? Yes! But I needed help.

I take NO drugs, my service dog(s) are enough.

But get help first.

Jerry

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am in one of the most liberal states, Illinois. I have been diagnosed with PTSD for the last 15 years. I have been VOLUNTEERLY admitted to one civilian and one VA mental health facility for mental exhaustion. I even have a PTSD service dog(s). I also have a CCW.

Was I afraid I would lose my 2A right when I needed help? Yes! But I needed help.

I take NO drugs, my service dog(s) are enough.

But get help first.

Jerry
Hey brother, good advice. glad your doing well.

I heard somewhere “it’s ok to not be ok”.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Defund the police, condoning riots, indicative of mental illness but they can still buy guns.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts