Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK my ccw license should be here end of the week or early the next. I wanted to get some opinions on my setup and see if I'm forgetting anything.

My setup currently is..

-Springfield XD-45acp. Holstered in Don Hume OWB "Agent" w\ Thumb break.
-Wilderness 5-stitch Holster Belt
-Speer Gold Dot 230.gr HP 13+1
-Coast Tac Light
-Lots of time practicing draw from various positions.

What am I forgetting?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Pretty much got her covered Gelicious! This may not be an issue because of the capacity you already have (14) but mag's can fail and it is always good to have a back up for two reasons.

1) More capacity - 24 rounds

2) Back up - in case of a problem

Everything else looks great though, very tactical and nice choice of CCW. The new XD-45 looks to be a great carry piece. I am holding out for the bi-tone model.

Ti.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I cant think of anything! you got a lot more stuff than I do.
I guess I would forget about the gear a bit- what you have is excellent- and spend some time reflecting on your mental state- this may really happen.Could you shoot someone? Under what conditions? Would you be able to get back to living afterwards?
Just my two cents. I like firearms and stuff, but at the same time I realize we need to do a bit of reflection and thinking things through. That is the tough part.
God Bless.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Just pretty much what Ti mentioned - the mag aspect. Oh and yeah - a small folder perhaps.

That aside - you are good to go :smilez:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Two things...

- When packing,...ALWAYS have your CHL with you!!
- Always keep your CCW in Con 1 (make sure safety is engaged!!!!)

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I would also add a blade to your list.Just incase you have to cut someone off your gun.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
perhaps a less lethal force option, such as pepper spray or an impact weapon? Check local laws of course. Also a cell phone , if you do not have 1 .

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very good ideas guys. I dont have a cell phone. the bill got kinda high, so i might get a prepaid one just to have incase of emergency. As for the knife suggestion. I carry a gerber multitool as well with a pretty nice knife on it. I will always have my chl on me.

As for the comment about my mental state. I could pull the trigger. It would take my life or the lives of innocent people to do it unless it was at a non human. Animals putting humans in danger or attacking would be a easier desision but still would only be a last resort.

Rocky made a good point. I might considet some pepper spray, I have also considerd a expandable baton for the times i cant carry a firearm. Do you have any other suggestions about an impact weapon?

But I will get a cellphone to use for emergencys! That is definitly something I forgot.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just one other thing...

A LAWYER!
Have his name in your cell phone speed dial, his card in your wallet, his number in your home phone book!!!
Just in case.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bud White said:
Sounds like ya got it covered but as said need a extra Mag
Well, im still undecided on the extra mag. I know if the main mag fails then im S.O.L. But carrying an extra mag around with me could be a pain, or it could save my life... hmmm well i want to live, so once i can find a mag pouch for these double stacks ill have to order one. The one that came with my setup i DONT trust.

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Besides what everyone else said before me, I'd add a BUG. I usually have one on me whenever I can.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
michael t said:
The Colt 1911A1 of course give that girle gun to you wife.
As much as I agree, I can't knock 14 rounds of .45 ACP. I am thinking about the XD-45 myself, this from a guy who lives and breaths 1911's. :9:

7 rounds vs 14 rounds, hum let's see! I'll take the 14 if the gun proves reliable.................. Man that was hard to say. :rant:

Ti.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Ti Carry said:
As much as I agree, I can't knock 14 rounds of .45 ACP. I am thinking about the XD-45 myself, this from a guy who lives and breaths 1911's. :9:

7 rounds vs 14 rounds, hum let's see! I'll take the 14 if the gun proves reliable.................. Man that was hard to say. :rant:

Ti.
Something like 1000 rounds through mine already, all of it cheap and dirty crud ammo, hasn't missed a beat.

Same 1911 grip angle.

Same 1911 inspired grip safety.

You like cocked and locked, try cocked and unlocked.

You can scratch it up all you want and you won't care.

Come to the XD side.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Was going to add my.02 cents worth but everybody else has it covered for ya. hope ya get yer permit soon and carry always and carry safe. Sixgun:hand10:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I'm trying Euc! soon as I find one it's mine.

Ti.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts