Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do we know of any stories where a CCW became unconscious in a public place due to health issues not arising from a self defense situation and paramedics treating the patient unexpectedly found that they were armed? What is protocol for paramedics in this situation?

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
This question has come up before. Since we have several paramedics on the board, I will let them explain. The upshot of it is that you are considering a non-issue.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I know we have a few in the medical field here. I will ask my BIL next time I see him, although I am sure he rarely sees it in his area, or if they are it is not legal...

·
Registered
19 Posts
In our area, if you were in a motor vehicle accident or other setting where law enforcement is present, your gun would given to them for safekeeping. Otherwise, it would be given to hospital security at the hospital when you arrived to be put in the safe until your release. The other option would be to give it to a family member if they were at the scene.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Happens all the time. Most often they ask on scene LEO to secure it if there is on scene LEO. Otherwise it's secured and delivered to LEO or hospital security when they arrive at the hospital. If your in bad enough condition to need paramedics your concealed handgun should be the least of your worries. The vast majority of seasoned first responders have no issues with a concealed firearm.

·
Registered
209 Posts
fairly common to happen, as said above usually just have LEO secure weapon and they will determin if you have a CWP later on or do a wallet check for it then. Ive had a friend of mine take a guy into the ER and he asked him to stop at the doors, called his GF over and pulled out his handgun and handed it to her b/c he didnt want to bring it into the ER and create a problem in there. No one even thought twice about it, actually told him smart move.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting. Glad you are providing this important information to emergency personnel.

I do want to say though that I personally have at least 3 law-abiding friends who carry their pistol in the waistband with absolutely no holster. I just wouldn't want emergency personnel to automatically assume that someone is a BG just because they don't use a holster.

Very interesting article, though. It really made me think. It's pretty scary to think of emergency personnel removing my firearm after just reading the cliff notes on how to do it. But hopefully they will take your advice and pursue further training. In the case of the guy handing the gun over to his significant other at the door of the emergency room: What if she doesn't have a CCW to even be walking from the door of the ER to the trunk? Tricky stuff.

But I'm truly thankful that emergency personnel do what they do!

·
Registered
42,957 Posts
My concern about "handing the gun over" to someone would be the legality. Does that "someone" have a permit, etc.?

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
Within my little world the EMS surrenders the weapon to the senior on scene investigating officer for safe keeping and it becomes part of the officers report.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
My concern about "handing the gun over" to someone would be the legality. Does that "someone" have a permit, etc.?
I don't believe that there would be any question on the legality of allowing an EMS worker or LEO to secure your firearm since at that point you're most likely not fully capable of maintaining care, custody, and control. Not saying you are a risk but in order to insure safety they would remove it from you and secure it until you are well enough to claim it or one of your representatives can.

Think along the lines of an unconscious person with a firearm, the EMS workers would secure it so that it doesn't mysteriously go away or be found by kids.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Does anyone know if the gun owner has to fill out a 4473 to get his firearm back or if there are problems for someone from out of state?

I have to visit a hospital out of state, and was wondering if there would be problems getting my handgun back from hospital security.

·
Registered
42,957 Posts
I don't believe that there would be any question on the legality of allowing an EMS worker or LEO to secure your firearm since at that point you're most likely not fully capable of maintaining care, custody, and control. Not saying you are a risk but in order to insure safety they would remove it from you and secure it until you are well enough to claim it or one of your representatives can.

Think along the lines of an unconscious person with a firearm, the EMS workers would secure it so that it doesn't mysteriously go away or be found by kids.
The question was meant more toward handing the gun over to another family member who may not have the required permit--depending on state law. It wasn't about the EMS or LEOs.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
The question was meant more toward handing the gun over to another family member who may not have the required permit--depending on state law. It wasn't about the EMS or LEOs.
Sorry bout that sir! Was one track minding on the EMS folks. As to handing it over to a family member or friend the best approach if they did not have a carry permit would be to secure it unloaded in a non accessible place (trunk if available or storage area in the rear of the vehicle) locked if possible which would then be safe transport of a firearm and not be considered concealed carry.

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
I was envolved in a care accident and was taken by ambulance to the hospital, my weapon was taken by the investgating officer, cleared, and it was noted in his accident report by the name and ser.no., number rounds, and cal., it was then returned to the police station and secured. Three days later I went to the station and picked up my weapon after I produced my CWFL and DL.....I don't know if that is standard protocol but it worked fine me.

·
Registered
42,957 Posts
That's way too simple and uncomplicated to be practical.:scratchchin:

·
Registered
632 Posts
While I was going through my EMT class that topic got brought up. We were advised that the policy of the hospital (putting on the class) was to leave it in place or let law enforcement secure it. The instructor said the last thing he wants is some EMT/Paramedic that doesn't know anything about guns messing with one in the back of an ambulance. If the person is unconscious and the gun is in a holster it is a lot safer there than in the hands of someone that doesn't know how to safely handle a firearm.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had a motorbike crash and was able to get up under my own power and off the road. I called my wife and my boss. Other drivers called 911. When EMT's arrived they put me on a backboard since my helmeted head had hit the asphalt and put me in the back of the ambulance. A sheriff's deputy, who I know, came in the back of the ambulance to get info from me. He had just left when the EMT pulled up my shirt and saw my S&W 642 in it's holster in my waistband. She told the driver in a very loud voice "DO NOT LEAVE" and got the deputy back in there. He asked me if I was armed and I said yes and that I had totally forgotten about my weapon following the accident. He took it from me and made it safe. He didn't take it to his office, but since he knows that my boss has a CCW gave it to him. My boss gave it back to me a few days later. I apologized to the EMT who said she didn't like surprises.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
...She told the driver in a very loud voice "DO NOT LEAVE" and got the deputy back in there. He asked me if I was armed and I said yes and that I had totally forgotten about my weapon following the accident. He took it from me and made it safe. He didn't take it to his office, but since he knows that my boss has a CCW gave it to him. My boss gave it back to me a few days later. I apologized to the EMT who said she didn't like surprises.
Sounds to me like she needs to grow a thicker skin if she is going to make it as an EMT.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts