Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 32-year old daughter, a nurse, got her FL CCW license recently. After she gets additional training from a local NRA-certified trainer I've promised to pay for her first CCW handgun. At this point she can't make up her mind what she wants, but is leaning to a .380 ACP as she considers guns in larger caliber to be too large for her to carry (she's 5'4"). I'm trying to help her make the right choice, but I feel that her first gun should probably be a compact 9mm that can double as a HD. From my viewpoint, her options include the following:

.380 ACP ~

1. Sig P232; 2. Walther PPK/S (her current preference is one I own - am waiting for it to come back from the S&W recall fix); or, 3. Beretta 85.

9mmP ~

1. Sig P225, and 2. CZ 75 P01.

Has anyone here dealt with a similar situation/quandary recently? I guess a .380 is better than nothing, but I seem them as essentially BUGs - and substandard for SD purposes. Perhaps I'm too close to the issue to see it clearly so I would appreciate the opinion of a dispassionate observer.

·
Banned
160 Posts
I agree with you.
There are plenty of small 9mm pistols out there.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I agree with you.
There are plenty of small 9mm pistols out there.
You could check out the Taurus PT709. I just finished doing a range report on it. I was very impressed and the weight and size are great. I have a feeling my wife is going to try to steal it for her CCW and she doesn't even like semi's.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
My daughter carries and loves her Glock 19.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
A small Glock-26 is what my wife finally settled on...it was the easiest of many for her to rack the slide. Perhaps a S&W snubbie in .38?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have recently read good reports on the Rohrbaugh R9s 9mm. It is quite small for concealed carry, and would most likely fit her hand due to single stack magazine. Since you have agreed to pay for it, and MSRP is about $950, have her check it out! This will be my next CC gun.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Maybe if she wants something smaller than a G26 look at a Kahr PM9 or something similar to that size.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Maybe if she wants something smaller than a G26 look at a Kahr PM9 or something similar to that size.
Those were the 2 I was going to suggest...I love my PM9....like the trigger just a little better than the Glock...but like them both...and quite honeslty the Glocks have a better rep and better availability of parts and accessories...but both are a good choice. If possible, rent/shoot them both or rather let her rent/shoot them both!

AND, Mel Brooks is my favorite (my dads too!)...so love your user name!!!! Why not Mongo from Blazing Saddles!?!?!?!

·
Registered
552 Posts
I was researching the Sig forum yesterday as I was thinking of adding a Sig to my collection, but there were a lot of posts of how the QC with Sig has gone done since roughly 2003. Just an FYI.

I would recommend the CZ-P01 or the CZ 75 D Compact (PCR). They're not as big and/or heavy as they may seem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[...]AND, Mel Brooks is my favorite (my dads too!)...so love your user name!!!! Why not Mongo from Blazing Saddles!?!?!?!
Mongo would be a good choice too. Mongo straight.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
The p225, or p239 from Sig are a very good option...as is the G26, from Glock. Summit Gun Broker has BNIB p225 w Night Sghts for 799. Won't find those again anytime soon. The G26 would be my recommendation though. Small, light and plenty accurate.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was researching the Sig forum yesterday as I was thinking of adding a Sig to my collection, but there were a lot of posts of how the QC with Sig has gone done since roughly 2003. Just an FYI.

I would recommend the CZ-P01 or the CZ 75 D Compact (PCR). They're not as big and/or heavy as they may seem.
I'm aware of the reports of a QC decline noted in many products. My Sig guns (P228, P225 and P232) were manufactured and bought new by me long before 2003. If fact, afaik, 228s and 225s are not produced (at least commercially) anymore.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I'm going through that right now helping with a selection of a carry gun for my wife. She shot my G19, but couldn't rack the slide and was having some trouble with recoil. So, right now I'm leaning toward a Bersa Thunder in 380, but I'm leaving it up to her.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Those were the 2 I was going to suggest...I love my PM9....like the trigger just a little better than the Glock...but like them both...and quite honeslty the Glocks have a better rep and better availability of parts and accessories...but both are a good choice. If possible, rent/shoot them both or rather let her rent/shoot them both!

AND, Mel Brooks is my favorite (my dads too!)...so love your user name!!!! Why not Mongo from Blazing Saddles!?!?!?!
Glock trigger > anything from Kahr. Have you ever shot it from the reset? That's how you should do it. In fact, I almost like a Glock trigger better than a 1911.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I'm aware of the reports of a QC decline noted in many products. My Sig guns (P228, P225 and P232) were manufactured and bought new by me long before 2003. If fact, afaik, 228s and 225s are not produced (at least commercially) anymore.
Actually the p228 just resumed commercial production. The 225 is not. Although, I think it should be.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Picking A CCW

Remembering that the first rule is how well it fits her hand, I would have her test fire every 9mm and above she can test.

Springfield XD, Beretta PX4 SC would be two I would look at.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I pushed my wife toward a 9mm and she would not carry it as it was to large for her to conceal the way she wanted to carry. She can shoot it just fine but would leave it at home. She now carries a Kel Tce P3AT and she actually carries it all the time. With the right ammo this little gun is a very good choice. The link shows 380 ammo results fired from a P3AT.

.380ACP

·
Registered
484 Posts
My wife and I just went through the same situation. I pushed a P3at on her, and she ended up hating it and would never carry it. We finally decided to go looking again, this time she picked it out. The first thing we looked at was a Walther P22, and she absolutely loved it. We also looked at many, many more (XD's, Glocks, Sigs, 1911's, etc) before coming back to Walthers. I really tried to steer her towards a 3" 1911 (Kimber), but she didn't like the weight. I also really wanted to check out a Sig P238, but no one has one in stock anywhere near here. That gun is at the top of my list once .380 makes a come back.

After some discussion on ballistics and such of the mighty .22, she picked out a Walther PPS in .40 S&W. It was the same size, or maybe a little smaller than the P22 anyways. Took it to the range yesterday, and it was very nice to shoot. Recoil was much lighter than I expcted from a .40 (first time shooting one). Put 100 trouble free rounds downrange. The gun was very accurate at 10 yards, I could watch the holes appear in the paper right where I was aiming.

My wife main complaint about the P3AT was the extremely sharp painful recoil. That and the hole it seemed to wear in your trigger finger. Her main complaint about J-frames is the long heavy trigger pulls. I had her shoot my LCR a few times also, but she didn't like the recoil of it either. Said it hurt the web area of her hand. It seems like she made a great choice for a CCW peice, now comes the fun in trying to find a holster for it. I imagine once I buy the P238 she's going to take it away from me.

So this is a vote for a PPS, but more for letting her pick something she wants.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
My 32-year old daughter, a nurse, got her FL CCW license recently. After she gets additional training from a local NRA-certified trainer I've promised to pay for her first CCW handgun. At this point she can't make up her mind what she wants, but is leaning to a .380 ACP as she considers guns in larger caliber to be too large for her to carry (she's 5'4"). I'm trying to help her make the right choice, but I feel that her first gun should probably be a compact 9mm that can double as a HD. From my viewpoint, her options include the following:
.380 ACP ~
1. Sig P232; 2. Walther PPK/S (her current preference is one I own - am waiting for it to come back from the S&W recall fix); or, 3. Beretta 85.
9mmP ~
1. Sig P225, and 2. CZ 75 P01.
Has anyone here dealt with a similar situation/quandary recently? I guess a .380 is better than nothing, but I seem them as essentially BUGs - and substandard for SD purposes. Perhaps I'm too close to the issue to see it clearly so I would appreciate the opinion of a dispassionate observer.
DON'T Force her to choose a gun she Doesn't Want !!! :nono:

She may end up not carrying or practicing. :frown:

DO let her handle and shoot different guns , and advise her on the merits
of different calibers. :yup:

She is an educated adult and with guidance can make her own decision. :smile:

:wave:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts