Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a .40 Sig Sauer 239 (it came with the .357 barrel as well). I am a Deputy DA and currently handle gang cases. Hence the need for a CCW.

However, I wear a suit most days and need a holster that works well with both a suit and plain clothes. I am trying not to spend a lot of money due to the fact that the pistol cost quite a bit.

Any tips out there?

Additionally, I did quite a bit of research about the 239 as a CCW weapon and there was quite a bit of positive response. It is my first handgun. I have been around rifles and shotguns since being a Boy Scout but never shot handguns previous to trying out my 239. Did I make a good purchase?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Very good choice in weapon. You shouldnt have any regrets with that, however it may be a little difficult for shirt and slacks unless youre wearing a jacket. Otherwise very compact and easy to cover. You should stop a few plain clothes detectives at the courthouse and ask them what they use. You will get a pretty good idea of how easy it is cover one with a jacket over a simple strong side belt holster.

·
Super Moderator
25,534 Posts
cali-da said:
Additionally, I did quite a bit of research about the 239 as a CCW weapon and there was quite a bit of positive response. It is my first handgun. I have been around rifles and shotguns since being a Boy Scout but never shot handguns previous to trying out my 239. Did I make a good purchase?
I'd say you made a great purchase. I have one in 9mm and it's a tack driver. As for holsters, it's hard to say since they seem to be so individual in nature. I've got a couple, both IWB and OWB.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion. I talked to a couple of detectives and investigators. They suggested that I look online at the Gall's catalog. If there are any 239 owners who could recommend one holster over another that would be great.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I get the Galls catalog and there is no holster in there I like. We have discussed this extensively on the board and I know the others will agree with me: You've got a champion pistol don't go cheap on the belt and holster!

You really NEED a high quality double thick gunbelt for support and you need a good quality holster. I have a weakness for the Galco "Concealable" model, but I also like Blade-Tech for the Kydex arena or Sam Andrews for the high end custom made stuff. But talk to Gary Brommeland right here on the site.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Very good choice. My great-uncle has a 239 in 9mm. It is a great gun and he has never had a malfunction with it. He has hogue grips on it. As for holsters, I have limited knowledge but I like Comp-Tac. I have a GLOCK 26 and I use Comp-Tac's C.T.A.C. It is a great holster that can be configured for many positions.

Also you can get extra clips that have velcro and get the other velcro strip sewn into a leather belt. Then you have a tuckable kydex holster with essentially no visible signs that you are wearing a gun. I will be getting a Kahr PM9 and then a P9 and will use a C.T.A.C. with the velcro strips.

Yes, ditto on the belt. I don't have one yet and my normal leather belt just doesn't support the weight well. At the 239 isn't exactly light.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Well...get a good tuckable. Lots of people make them for the 239...just get what you want. Shoot well.

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you can wear an untucked shirt while in plain clothes, get yourself a Max-Con V, belt and mag pouch from Gary Brommeland and you'll be good to go. If an untucked shirt is not an option, maybe look into a tuckable holster or SmartCarry (stay away from Thunderwear).

·
Super Moderator
25,534 Posts
cali-da said:
Are Fobus paddle holsters any good?
Well, they are cheap.

Most folks think they stick out to far from the body making the gun harder to conceal.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
cali-da said:
Are Fobus paddle holsters any good?
I sometimes use FOBUS for IDPA competition. I rarely carry my gun in a FOBUS, but then the only one I have is for my Beretta M92FS and I rarely carry THAT. LOL

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found it

I talked to one of my investigators today and tried on a Desantis thumb break scabbard. It was perfect. Very comfortable and rides exactly where I want it. Desantis makes it for my weapon and I think it will turn out well. I will post more once I have received it and given it a trial run.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I researched the brands that were recommended.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cali-da:

Excellent choice on the handgun, just be aware that you need to practice with that model quite a bit, as the first trigger pull will be different from subsequent ones. Some people find this hard to get used to but with training, you should be fine.

Speaking of training... you mentioned you weren't all that familiar with handguns and this was your first. Have you taken any handgun training yet? If your office offers training, great. But I suggest that down the road you invest some more time & $ and go to one of the well-known shooting schools for an intensive handgun course. These schools will actually bring your skills beyond what many law enforcement departments teach. I know this from other California (and Federal) LEOs who I have taken said training with.

I am only sugesting this additional training as you have an important, high profile job and you need the best training you can get. (don't we all?)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've carried the same 239/40cal for several years. I use an Alessi CQC/S belt holster and a Milt Sparks VM2 IWB. Both are somewhat expensive, but excellent holsters that will last a life-time.
I've also used a CTAC. It is my favorite kydex IWB holster; and less expensive, but not as comfortable on my body style.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Excellent choice in firearms DA! You'd be hard pressed to surpass ANY Sig in quality and the 239 is a great size for concealed carry. Hit the range and get to know your weapon, it'll serve you very well. All I can say about DeSantis is I have one of their ankle holsters and the construction is well executed.

You might very well decide to go with a custom leather holster at some point and we have the very best in the industry right here on this Forum. Seriously consider a real gun belt, it makes a world of difference in how well your gun carries. There are some very nice examples out there that work well in business/professional attire.

BTW, welcome to the Forum!
Jack

·
Registered
57 Posts
Excellent choice! I too have a Sig P239 in 40 S&W. Be sure you put in plenty of practice time and become competent with your firearm. After doing quite a bit of shooting you may decide that the stock plastic grips need to be replaced. I have the Hogue wrap around rubber grips on mine which are great for extended shooting sessions but not so good for concealed carry. I am currently looking for options in wood grips. Be sure to get a good belt designed to hold the weight of a pistol. It will make all the difference in comfort for all day long concealed carry. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts