Defensive Carry banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

Registered
In my, for the most part, gun friendly state of South Carolina, it is illegal to carry a gun in Church or other established religious sanctuary unless express permission is given by the appropriate church official or governing body (C. Code Ann. 搂23-31-215(M)).

According to SC state law, (a stand your ground state BTW) a "person who uses deadly force as permitted by the provisions of this article or another applicable provision of law is justified in using deadly force, is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of deadly force, unless the person against whom deadly force was used is a law enforcement officer acting in the performance of his official duties and he identifies himself in accordance with applicable law or the person using deadly force knows or reasonably should have known that the person is a law enforcement officer."

We also have the right per state law, a "defense of others" which says, If you witness another person who is being attacked, and if they have the right to defend themselves under the rules of self defense in SC, then you also have the right to step in and defend that person.

So I would think if a Church in SC would just "give permission" to conceal carry to those with a CWP, those people would not be "acting agents" of the church per se. So if the SHTF and one of these CWP holders "lawfully" defends him/herself and/or others in self-defense, the church could not be held as liable.

The flip side would be if one of these concealed carriers had a accidental discharge and hurt someone. The church may, in part anyway, liable and sued.

I am not a lawyer. Just my opinion. But I did stay in a cheap motel last night. 馃槣

Registered
The personal liability issues would dissuade me from being a member of any unpaid security team.
Ohio SB 175 provides immunity to nonprofits and its members. It passed the Senate unanimously 31-0 a couple months ago. If it passes the House and gets signed by DeWine, liability won't be an issue.

Registered
Personal coverage is mandated, IMHO, if you carry, period. If the church's insurance company isn't familiar with church security team coverage, and therefore church coverage, it seems to me it's time to change companies. Find one that has experience with churches and church security. Your coverage may not cover the aftermath of a church shooting. The time to get familiar with what the insurance company will cover is NOT after an event, but before.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts