Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
First post, but I've been lurking for a while :)

Anyone here happen to be from Monroe County? I just found out that I will be moving from my very gun friendly state of NH to the..er...not as gun friendly state of NY. I've "heard" lots of different information about getting a permit up there and have read packing.org but was wondering if anyone could give me anymore information that what is out there...anything new since packing.org was updated last...judge changes...etc.
Also looking to clear up one thing...I've heard two different stories about the way they request personal references...
1) 4 references that live in the county in which you are applying
2) 5 references that you have known for at least 3 years
maybe this is something that is different by county?
Thanks in advance for any and all information that you could give me!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Monroe County (Rochester) is one of the most gun friendly counties in NY. Permits there are practically shall issue. I don't remember what the permit process was, but it will take a while and you are technically not allowed to even possess your handguns in NY without at least a Target/Hunting permit.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
I don't think you'll have a problem, IF you show them your current Pistol and Revolver License from NH...........you'll have more positive response when you show it to the Local PD/LEO. As I remember, from doing a few cases in the Lake George NY area, they're REAL FREINDLY people, in the firearms CCW licensing dept........

·
Super Moderator
25,544 Posts
raysheen said:
Hi All,
First post, but I've been lurking for a while :)
Can't help with your move, but welcome to the forum. Hope all goes well.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Ray - welcome :smile:

Sorry you seemingly have to ''downgrade'' your firearms ownership status!!!
you are technically not allowed to even possess your handguns in NY without at least a Target/Hunting permit.
As dhomoney says - is that the case - that is grim!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P95Carry said:
Ray - welcome :smile:

Sorry you seemingly have to ''downgrade'' your firearms ownership status!!!As dhomoney says - is that the case - that is grim!
yeah it will be "weird" to say the least...I've had a carry permit/license everywhere I've lived for the last 9 years...didn't carry all that time, but i carry daily now so it will be a big change to go from being able to carry daily to not even being allowed to posses a handgun in my home...BUT I've jumped through the hoops before and I consider this only a minor setback...I figure that I'll be without a handgun for about a year and I'll store them at my relatives until I'm legal again...good to hear that they are friendly up there...actually I did a small amount of reading on Monroe before and I based my move partially on that information since it's one of the easier places to get an unrestricted CCW (from what I've heard). I still have another 6 months here in New Hampshire and I'll have to see if I can find any "pre-ban" mags for my handguns since I think NY still has AWB-like law on the books...will have to look into that one though...guess I won't be able to carry my 33round glock mags anymore :redface:
Thanks for the responses and help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts