Defensive Carry banner

Rent the Glock or shoot the Nano

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I head to Vegas to take my ccw class and qualifying test. I have a Beretta Nano, and I plan on taking it with me. HOWEVER, The Gun Store's website says they use frangible rounds on the range for the qualifying test. Now I've only ever seen frangible rounds at 95 gr. in 9mm, and I'm assuming that's what they got too. I'm also fairly certain that my Nano would have trouble pushing such a low-powered round. Out of 550 rds, I've only had 2 FTE's, but they were both with lower-quality 115 gr. rds. I could be wrong; the range could use 115 gr. or even 124 gr. frangible rds.

So the range rents Glock 19's for $10. I've handled a few Glocks but I've never shot one. Still, I'm thinking I might rent the Glock 'cuz it will push pretty much anything, and it's a chance to shoot it. I'm fairly confident that I'll pass the qualifying exam with the Nano, and I would think that the Glock 19 might make it that much more easier to pass.

I'm stumped, don't really know what to do. What do y'all think? Should I shoot an unfamiliar firearm but one that functions nearly identically as my Nano? Or should I shoot the Nano, a gun I've shot and am comfortable with and feel I will qualify with?

TIA.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
If I had a strong suspicion that my carry gun would fail to operate on ammo that was to be forced upon me for quals, I'd go with the known quantity. That is, so long as I knew I could perform with the "known" example. A G19 should be fine, but if you're a crappy shooter with one then it might well impinge upon your ability to qualify.

Still, quals aren't that rough, generally. Strange, though, that they demand you use one of their oddball rounds, instead of what you know works with your sidearm. I've never had a CHL qualifying course demand that.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I would personally use my pistol. You are familiar and comfortable with it. If you get a FTE it will be good practice clearing it in a more stressful situation due to trying to qualify. I wouldn't want to take a course for CC without the gun I plan on carrying.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It may be that it's because it's an indoor range, or at least that's what I'm assuming. The class itself is free, and ammo is only $25, rental $10, so even for $35 for the class, that's pretty darn cheap. I think I may rent the Glock 19. I've been looking at one, that or a G26, which I'll prolly get because it seems more versatile (but that's a different thread) and they don't have a G26. This will be a good excuse to shoot/rent one. And it's not that demanding a qualifying course: 36 shots (12 freestyle from 15yds, 12 freestyle from 7 yds, 12 from 3 yds: 6 right hand only, 6 left hand only).

·
Registered
938 Posts
It may be that it's because it's an indoor range, or at least that's what I'm assuming. The class itself is free, and ammo is only $25, rental $10, so even for $35 for the class, that's pretty darn cheap. I think I may rent the Glock 19. I've been looking at one, that or a G26, which I'll prolly get because it seems more versatile (but that's a different thread) and they don't have a G26. This will be a good excuse to shoot/rent one. And it's not that demanding a qualifying course: 36 shots (12 freestyle from 15yds, 12 freestyle from 7 yds, 12 from 3 yds: 6 right hand only, 6 left hand only).
I took my course at an indoor range, and shot there at least once a week. Shoot what you want, no restrictions on any handgun ammo, but they do limit rifles to rimfire only.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Interesting to know up in Northern Nevada in Washoe county they have you qualify on a revolver and a semiauto then you can carry any weapon you wish. Does Las VEgas offer the same thing?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know in Vegas/Clark County you can qualify on revolver and you can qualify on semi-auto. I hadn't thought to qualify on the revolver. I haven't shot a wheel gun in decades.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I would rent the Glock. That way it's their gun and their crappy ammo. If there is a problem, it's their problem.

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
I'd hope they'd let you run a few test rounds through your weapon before making you start the qualification, given the situation. But I imagine you'd be fine with the Glock. It's close enough in operation.

Now, my brother was another story. When we qualified for cc, everybody in the class had to bring their own weapons. Most folks in the class had compact autos or revolvers; I had a full-size auto; the only handgun he had at the time was a 6" Super Blackhawk, so that's what he shot. He used .44 Special instead of Magnum, of course, but still it was pretty funny seeing him with that monster alongside all the soccer moms with their lil' guns. Point is, in his case, single-action only was what he was used to; if he'd tried a Glock, he might have had problems.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
though one...short sight radius and tiny grip on a familiar pistol or longer sight radius and a fuller grip on an unfamiliar platform...
i`d go with the Glock, even though i don't like the ergo. full sized guns are better for range use IMO. good luck!

Reactions: 65108

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I would rent the Glock. That way it's their gun and their crappy ammo. If there is a problem, it's their problem.
That's pretty much my thinking. In Tennessee, all you have to do is get the rounds on the paper. It's not like you're doing a military qualification with it. I rented their gun and used their ammo. Didn't have any problems at all.

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
At my CHL I could have rented (NO CHARGE) a Glock, but i wanted to qualify with the firearm I was going to use.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
That's pretty much my thinking. In Tennessee, all you have to do is get the rounds on the paper. It's not like you're doing a military qualification with it. I rented their gun and used their ammo. Didn't have any problems at all.
I agree...

If you have concerns about the Nano reliably digesting the frangible ammo then I would utilize the Glock. Not to mention you will save yourself a cleaning afterwards. So once you get back home and don't have to clean a pistol you can utilize that time to track down a GLOCK and buy it for a carry gun!:image035: (Just funnin')

Reactions: 65108

·
Registered
42,098 Posts
That's got to be expensive range ammo.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Have you ever been to "The Gun Store"? I went there a few years ago and shot a variety of their full auto machine guns:

MP5 (9mm)
M16 w/ 9mm Upper
M249 (5.56)
Uzi (9mm)
Thompson (.45 ACP)

And, I remember having to use their frangible rounds... and they were crap. They must reload it themselves to increase the profit margins of their very lucrative machine gun rental business.

I had at least 5 (out of a mag of 30) in the MP5 physically break (the "tip" of the round nose projectile actually broke off) while cycling the MP5's action, which of course jammed the gun. If I recall, I had similar misfortune with the M16...

And to top it all off, they still made me pay their full ridiculous price per mag, even after experiencing so many failures... Oh well, I still had a blast....

Moral of the story, I would rent their gun if you must use their bad ammo. A Glock 19 shoots very naturally for many people and if you can shoot your Nano well, you should have no problem with the Glock.

Oh and one more thing. Good luck on your test!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Use the Glock for two reasons: 1) you're not confident that your Nano will do the job with their ammo and 2) the larger frame of the G19 will make it that much easier to qualify.

You won't have anything to worry about with the Glock. They shoot great.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE: I rented the Glock 19, and I'm glad I did. That thing ate all 36 rounds without a hiccup, and I passed the shooting test easily. Not everyone passed. In fact, one guy brought a .45, didn't qualify, mentioned he'd bring his 9mm tomorrow (today now), and the instructor said, "Well yeah. You should have brought that to begin with." The girl next to me (I didn't she what pistol she was shooting) but she had an fte on every mag using their ammo. When I merely handling their Glock 19, before actually firing it, my fingertips turned black: after shooting 36 rounds, they were covered in black. Their guns and ammo were filthy. As confident as I am in my Nano to shoot the rounds I know it will (medium to premium >115gr. rds), I'm glad I rented their Glock.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll try to address some questions y'all asked. I wasn't there to practice clearing FTE's, which I can do on my own range for free. I paid to qualify and that's all I cared about last night, so I rented the Glock 19. The rental fee for the Glock 19 and two mags was $10, which is prolly kinda high. But then The Gun Store charges $1,000 to shoot 100 rounds. And the ammo was $25. I thought they might give us 50 rds. for that price, even though we only had to shoot 36 rds. during quals. I was wrong. For $25 you get a Ziploc baggie of 36 rounds, exactly. Except one guy who got only 35 rounds (he shot the chit outta the target and said he didn't care about the last round, it wouldn't prevent him from passing).

Yes, I've been to The Gun Store twice now. The first time was just a couple months ago; I went for the novelty of it. I went to shop guns: I was NOT impressed. The store front was TINY. I guess I was expecting a huge warehouse, like a Guitar Center or a big liquor store at the very least. The store front couldn't have been more than 1,500 sq. ft., 2,000 tops. But then people don't go there to shop for guns; they go there to shoot fully automatic sub-machine guns. So in that sense, the range instructors were super-awesome. When I started shooting, for some reason, I was shooting center mass, which scores a 7, not shooting the bullseye for 10 pts., which was located in the lower-ab region. The instructor tapped me on the shoulder and told me to shoot the red center. When I adjusted my aim, I hit the next 30 shots in the 9-10 range with that Glock 19. And seriously, what a great gun. I'm going to get either a Glock 19 or Glock 26 next year, and after shooting that gun, I can not wait.

To the class, it was llllloooooonnnnnnnggggggg. 9-5:30 with 15 min. breaks every couple hours. Bob Eaton was a great instructor: personable, knowledgable, and funny. There were about 45 students in there, so pretty full. Bob gave us a ton of great information. He has me completely bamfuzzled on the laws in Boulder City, NV, which is just outside of Vegas, and I guess you can't carry there. In fact, you have to completely disassemble your weapon when you pass through. But BC is the only city in the state that doesn't make you register your guns? Frack, I don't know. I'll have to search the webs to find out exactly. The only thing I didn't care for was that Bob gave us a bunch of great information about NV and Vegas law, North LV law, etc., and prepared us to watch a video by saying, "A bunch of this information is outdated." Then we watched the video: It "starred" cops and lawyers located primarily in Chicago, IL. Well, hell's how is that going to add anything to my knowledge of anything as it relates to NV? And most of the info in the video conflicted with what Bob told us earlier in the day. And of course, there were a ton of stupid questions afterwards.

Which brings me to my final point. The people in the class really illustrated the varying skill levels of all gun owners. Srsly, I never thought I'd be the most knowledgeable in the room, and I prolly wasn't. But those that DID ask questions, really, really frighten me that they own guns. Really frighten me. Anyone who brought a gun had to leave their unloaded gun on the table in front of them with the mag well empty and the slide racked back. Three older women, in their 50's (and more power to 'em), were clearly friends. Two of them brought guns: one of them brought a semi-auto and a revolver. She later revealed that she had never shot either, had never cleaned them, etc. Frankly, I don't have a problem with that level of experience: everyone starts somewhere. And before the first of this year, I hadn't fired a gun in 15-20 years. Of course, I didn't buy a gun after not shooting one in 20 years and then attend a ccw class. No, I learned to shoot and clean my weapon. Anyways, these three women were the only people in the class who consistently handled their firearms. NO ONE touched their weapons, even when clearly bored, except these three women. Now, I will say none of them released the slide forward, which I was really surprised about. In fact, that's the only reason I didn't tattle. But I kept a close eye on them, and not because they were good looking (though one of them was) but because they made me a bit nervous.

And there was the usual dumb questions that were answered two minutes prior to the question being asked had the f'n questioner been paying attention s/he would not have needed to waste our time with the question. And the usual "crazy" stuff the instructors had to say. Bob, not so much, but our afternoon instructor was really sold on the idea (myth?) of spring compression and rotating mags and downloading mags. To the point that she said we SHOULD download mags and rotate mags and such. Which is fine if you subscribe to that idea. I mean, I don't care. I don't believe it, but I don't care if that's what you do. But she didn't present it as "This is what I do and this is what I suggest you do." Instead, it was more like all owners of semi-autos NEED to do this. Meh, whatever. And frankly, if THAT's my only gripe in the class, then that's pretty good. And it was a very good class overall.

Again, thanks for your inputs (although I will point out that the poll was pretty close, nearly 50/50 so not very helpful there :smile:).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Most will find the glock to be very used friendly, and decently accurate even when shooting for the first time. I'd go with the glock!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts