Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What good is a CCW permit when lots of stores have those NO GUN signs on the door..you are just as vulnerable as the old lady in a mall except she didn't spend 250.00!
And what about when you come to one of these stores and you have to enter unarmed and have to leave you're gun in the car for someone to steal..is this CCW permit really worth having when you can't ALWAYS be armed!
I would hate to leave an 800.00 gun in my car alone!
Just me .02 cents.

·
Registered
587 Posts
You don't have to shop at those stores. A lot of people refuse to shop at stores with gunbuster signs, and then write the store owners a letter to know what sale they lost and where you went instead.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My question is this -- what if you need it and you are carrying because you are legally able to in the "other" stores.

·
Registered
27 Posts
CCW Worth Having...

Hi kspilot536,

Welcome to the forum.

Some folks feel it's good to get your permit before the gov't says "no more." There's nothing specific on the horizon, just seems that things get more and more restrictive.

One reason to get the permit, is so you can carry when allowed. At least you're now backed up with firepower some of the time, instead of none of the time. Threat levels vary according to time and location, this is worth studying.

Robbery: fringe areas

It's a good idea to have multiple tools for keeping safe. When all one has is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail. Basically, you should have more than just a gun.

Krav Maga is worth investigating.

About storing your $800 gun in a vehicle, check out ConsoleVault.com

Also, check this out:
Desk Mate Handgun Safe, for Office and Home, Vline Model 2597-S

Best Regards,
Ensiferum

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yep.. Like has already been said,.. Do not shop where you cannot carry,.. Do not eat, where you cannot carry... I would rather miss out on some food then go un-armed..

For the car, get a safe box,. That is what I use when I'm at work.. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Like everyone else has said, or will say, since receiving my CCL, I will not stop/shop at stores with "No Guns" signs.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
About storing your $800 gun in a vehicle, check out ConsoleVault.com
Note that these are only for trucks and SUVs. If you drive a vehicle not on their list, you may want to consider a COM safe.

Center of Mass In-Car Gun Safe

They can either be hard-mounted to your vehicle, or secured using a cable, chain, etc...

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
What good is a CCW permit when lots of stores have those NO GUN signs on the door..you are just as vulnerable as the old lady in a mall except she didn't spend 250.00!
And what about when you come to one of these stores and you have to enter unarmed and have to leave you're gun in the car for someone to steal..is this CCW permit really worth having when you can't ALWAYS be armed!
I would hate to leave an 800.00 gun in my car alone!
Just me .02 cents.
I actually see very few signs. The ones I see are mostly banks or places that under the original law would have automatically been off limits but after HB2528 had to post. If you run into a sign, take your money elsewhere but drop the business an email and let them know why you took your business elsewhere. If a place you have to go into is posted, leave your gun in the car in a lock box. Still much better than 3 years ago when you couldn't carry anywhere and still much better than a lot of other states.

My question is this -- what if you need it and you are carrying because you are legally able to in the "other" stores.
Grandma -- not sure I understand your question. Can you expand?

Hoss

·
Registered
156 Posts
What Hoss (and others) said. While there are many businesses in Kansas that post the gunbuster, there are very many more that don't. I haven't found that a gunbuster at a certain store has greatly restricted my ability to shop for similar products elsewhere. For what's it's worth --- many businesses don't fully understand what they are actually restricting. It provides a great opportunity to educate the business owners.

Despite some issues, we (Kansans) are much better off today than we were before 2006. It ain't a perfect system, but we are making progress.

Welcome to the forum.

-Seawolf

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
As others have said, don't frequent the locations that don't allow you to carry. Make sure you drop them a line and let them know what competitor your now spending your money at and why.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I actually see very few signs. The ones I see are mostly banks or places that under the original law would have automatically been off limits but after HB2528 had to post. If you run into a sign, take your money elsewhere but drop the business an email and let them know why you took your business elsewhere. If a place you have to go into is posted, leave your gun in the car in a lock box. Still much better than 3 years ago when you couldn't carry anywhere and still much better than a lot of other states.

Grandma -- not sure I understand your question. Can you expand?

Hoss
What if you take the stance that our OP has taken and don't get your CCL and then you need the weapon for protection where you could have carried and didn't. In other words, just because you can't carry everywhere doesn't mean you won't need it another place that you can carry. Wish I had the video of the lady who testified before congress about her parents being killed while they ate in a family type restaurant and she had left hers in the car and from what I understood from her testimony, she could have been carrying but just left it in the car. Anyway, her parents were killed.

·
Registered
459 Posts
BTW, we see very few signs here in NC. I actually have never seen a sign anywhere in the town that I am from. Just wish we could go to eat at some places that serve food, but also serve alcohol.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
While I thoroughly agree no gun signs and no carry places are idiotic, but that is the way things are and there isn't much to be done about it.

So, the question you asked, is it really worth getting the license and gun is relevant. And the answer is clearly yes.

But, there is something else to consider. Don't make the gun your first or only line of defense. If legal, carry pepper spray. If legal, carry a knife. If possible, learn a martial art. You want the gun to be the last line of defense when there is no option other than lethal force. You don't want the gun to be your first and only choice.

Anyway, having the license is worthwhile. Avoiding posted places and taking business elsewhere is a good idea.

·
Registered
37 Posts
They Call it concealed for a reason........
at the point you need your weapon for self preservation
in NC the fact that you should not have had it there is the least of your problems.
The one thing I learned in the CCW class here is that unlike Florida,you shoot your going to jail until it's all sorted out,In fl the officer on the scene can determine if it is self defense and not make any arrest.
The District Attorneys office then investigates and decides if charges are needed.I have witnessed this first hand when I had a friend shoot when a gang of punks tried to pull him out of his car.
P.S. in NC it's only a misdemeanor for having your weapon in such a place
so you saved your or a loved ones life and got charged for a misdemeanor for having your gun there,good trade in my eyes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you are afraid of having your gun stolen from your car, get one of those inexpensive gun locks that looks like a padlock with a flexible cable. Take out the magazine, run the cable through it and around the post to your car seat. If they want your gun they have to cut through the cable or take out your seat.

Also I agree with everyone who said to find alternative places to shop that do allow you to be armed.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I've seen a lot of signs come down, and 99% of where I go don't have a sign..... so, I'm obviously not going where you are. Those that do post, I found alternatives. Where I used to buy gas is posted, but the station across the street isn't... guess where I buy my gas.

Talk to them about "not posting", many have had their minds changed.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
What if you take the stance that our OP has taken and don't get your CCL and then you need the weapon for protection where you could have carried and didn't. In other words, just because you can't carry everywhere doesn't mean you won't need it another place that you can carry. Wish I had the video of the lady who testified before congress about her parents being killed while they ate in a family type restaurant and she had left hers in the car and from what I understood from her testimony, she could have been carrying but just left it in the car. Anyway, her parents were killed.
O.K., I understand now. Guess I didn't really catch that from the OP that there was a consideration of actually not getting a license because of places being posted. I just thought he was complaining about the number of places posted.

I agree with you. Even if every business was posted, I'd still get my license to make it legal to carry walking down the street and in my car. But in Kansas, if you have to enter a building and it's posted, you better leave the gun in the car. No asking you to leave if discovered. Carrying past a sign in Kansas by a licensed CCH holder is a class A misdemeanor and you're subject to immediate arrest.

Hoss

·
Banned
464 Posts
Yep.. Like has already been said,.. Do not shop where you cannot carry,.. Do not eat, where you cannot carry... I would rather miss out on some food then go un-armed..
Reminds me of my cousin who missed the birth of his child because they would not let him carry into the hospital. His Dad, my uncle, missed his son's college graduation because he could not legally carry onto the plane. After that he did not fly to Hawaii for their daughters wedding because Hawaii does not offer reciprocity with his home state. I remember when he skipped his Mom's funeral because the services were held in a funeral parlor that was posted. And his Dad didn't think it was funny when he could not wheel him out of the hospital (it was posted) after a grueling chemotherapy session.

They are just big believers in the 2nd Amendment!

·
Registered
136 Posts
You don't have to shop at those stores. A lot of people refuse to shop at stores with gunbuster signs, and then write the store owners a letter to know what sale they lost and where you went instead.
Exactly. and 100% agreed. We've only got a few here like the mall, Elder Bearman, Value city and a few odd restaurants. Luckily in Indiana, a sign is a suggestion until asked to leave, then it's trespassing. I won't go into a store that has a no firearms sign posted and the exception is the mall, when I'm forced. But I still conceal carry and no one is the wiser. If they don't know you're packing ,they dont' ask you to leave and you're fine.

Any store that doesn't respect my right to carry can lose out on my business, period.

·
Banned
464 Posts
Exactly. and 100% agreed. We've only got a few here like the mall, Elder Bearman, Value city and a few odd restaurants. Luckily in Indiana, a sign is a suggestion until asked to leave, then it's trespassing. I won't go into a store that has a no firearms sign posted and the exception is the mall, when I'm forced. But I still conceal carry and no one is the wiser. If they don't know you're packing ,they dont' ask you to leave and you're fine.

Any store that doesn't respect my right to carry can lose out on my business, period.
Who is forcing you to go into the stores with signs posted even at the mall?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts