Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a lockable pistol safe from Center of Mass and installed it in my SUV. You can see in the pics that I have a sliding rear floor with a storage compartment underneath. I bolted it to the bottom of the storage compartment. When the floor is slid closed, its completely out of sight. The compartment floor is plastic, so its not fail-safe but its the best out of sight place to put it. And if someone does get in and happen to find it, it will take them a while to get it out, if they even try. I only use it if I am going in somewhere that I can't be armed. Its way better than just dropping it in the glovebox.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Safe

Nice!

I would need a much much larger safe. I never leave home without 3-4 handguns and an AK or shotgun.

There are places I travel to for business though where it would be a federal offense just to carry onto the parking lot with or without a safe.

One place I travel to has a Vehicle trap that sniffs gunpowder and other has-mat materials.
The guards all carry sidearms and fully automatic weapons at all times.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Very clean install and nice photography. I need to do something similar with my Passat.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've got one in each vehicle, but I use the cable wrapped around the seat "legs" We got the largest one we could and both of our XD subcompact 9mm will fit at the same time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got one in each vehicle, but I use the cable wrapped around the seat "legs" We got the largest one we could and both of our XD subcompact 9mm will fit at the same time.
Only thing that concerns me is cant that cable be cut?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Only thing that concerns me is cant that cable be cut?
If the crook has time and the tools to cut the cable then it would not matter if it was bolted or welded to the body.:gah:

Almost all smash and grabs occur in less time than it would take to cut or pry of the box.:aargh4:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the same safe. And I use the cables around the seat legs.
I suppose the cable could be cut, but not by your avarage wire cutters. You would have an easier time prying the safe from the plastic floor of Buderbean's SUV. The cable is short enough that it would be difficult to get heavy cutters around it.

·
Banned
342 Posts
Nice!

I would need a much much larger safe. I never leave home without 3-4 handguns and an AK or shotgun.

There are places I travel to for business though where it would be a federal offense just to carry onto the parking lot with or without a safe.

One place I travel to has a Vehicle trap that sniffs gunpowder and other has-mat materials.
The guards all carry sidearms and fully automatic weapons at all times.
Interested in hearing where you work...

I'm an FBI agent and don't experience this level of security myself. Also, have never felt the need and don't even think I'm capable of carrying 4 handguns and a long gun.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
i have 2 of the safes myself and use them under seats cabled to the seat frames and in a motorcycle saddlebag tethered to the frame....they are really pretty nice considering the price...

the only concern i have iwith your installation is in the event you are carrying any significant amount of cargo it looks like it is difficult to access...

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Nice!

While I know your perfectly within your right to carry that many guns, I will tell you that if your stopped and they find all those weapons in your car, and you’re not headed to the range, you’ll have some explaining to do.

Back in the 70’s one of our deputy’s got stopped while traveling on vacation. He had a couple pistols, along with a semi-automatic rifle,( M14) and a riot shotgun, in his trunk.

Even though he had “id”, they detained him until they confirm with the department he was a deputy in “good standings”.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I like your safe and how hidden it is. But do have one question for you. Can you use your safe without anyone seeing you?
Thieves, usually set in a parking lot looking for just the right vehicle to break into. So many possible targets and only one of them may have something worth steeling inside.

If BG’s see someone disarm, and lock it in the back of an SUV, then that vehicle just became on the top of their list.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Interested in hearing where you work...

I'm an FBI agent and don't experience this level of security myself. Also, have never felt the need and don't even think I'm capable of carrying 4 handguns and a long gun.
I don't carry always all at once. The thread was about securing guns in a safe for travel. In MO, I normally carry a PPS OSB on me, a Kimber in the front seat next to me and a Remington 870 Cruiser in the back. Castle Doctrine style. Other times I carry More guns to one of 4 ranges I regularly shoot at.

I maintain infrastructure for sensitive power plant facilities among other things. There It is not possible to carry at all. The facilities are so large that I would need to park on the side of the road and walk two or three miles to the first guard station check point or have someone pick me up.

01-FFL
www.gunsandsupply.com

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a similar one, have it hidden under the console (separate area in a dodge truck) with the cable. I agree with the smash and grab protection. If the have tools and time, they'll probably take the whole vehicle. Must smash and grabs use a brick or rock to bust the window and grab whats in view or in the glove or immediate console. They really don't want to be in the vehicle too long.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts