Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keyed or combination lock?

I'd be using it for airline travel and would prefer the combination version so I don't have to worry about a key. The problem is I seem to remember reading that the combination lock isn't as sturdy and is prone to problems.

Anybody have any personal experience with these?

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I prefer a key over combo more possiblities. I swapped out the cyclinder on my COM with a better one. Friend owns a locksmith shop had to file the box a bit to fit new cyclinder.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I'll second what Hitch King mentioned in his posting. I prefer the same degree of security of a key over a combination lock. I'm sure that the combination lock works fine and offers the same security as a key. But I'm more comfortable having keys to the COM safe cable locked in my truck.

You should feel that comfortable with either the combination or key lock. You can't go wrong either way!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use mine for air travel too...just this week in fact. I prefer the keyed model. I always make sure to carry the cable as well in case for some reason I must leave it in a hotel room, I can secure it a little more.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
I prefer the keyed model...I like holding the key.:image035:
(Quicker access, in dim or no light situations...IMHO)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I got the combo lock. In hindsight, I would have chosen the keyed lock. It has been a little persnickety.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I have two keyed the same. :smile:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts