Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lower receiver on order from PSA which I plan to convert to an SBR, I am planning on having the lower cerakoted as well. Would it be better for me to have the lower cerakoted before I have it sent off to get the NFA engravings needed to convert it to an SBR?

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Get the engraving done first.

·
Super Moderator
18,197 Posts
Why? Does the spray fill in the engraving?
A couple of reasons really.

One, it provides a nice contrast. You want people to see your name or trademark and the edges will be sharp if you have used decent paint or whatever finish it is.

Two, if you engrave and then finish, the finish fills in some of the detail and it doesnt looks as sharp.

You can see this in AR lowers. Engraving that is filled in with finish usally dosent look as good as engraving done after the finish. There will be inconsistencies in the letters or numbers.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Yes unless the cerakote would fill in the engraving i would want it to be engraved first so the lettering wouldn't be silver...

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A couple of reasons really.

One, it provides a nice contrast. You want people to see your name or trademark and the edges will be sharp if you have used decent paint or whatever finish it is.

Two, if you engrave and then finish, the finish fills in some of the detail and it doesnt looks as sharp.

You can see this in AR lowers. Engraving that is filled in with finish usally dosent look as good as engraving done after the finish. There will be inconsistencies in the letters or numbers.
Should I be worried about the bare metal from the engraving not having a coating on it or am I just being nit picky?

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Another vote for engraving first and then the application of Cerakote. I have a Browning Maxus (blued barrel) that developed surface rust after a year of waterfowl hunting. I decided to have it coated with Cerakote. All of the text and markings are still very easily visible. Better still, the Cerakote still looks new after 2 years in the field.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts