Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
143,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Navy Exchanges Fire With Suspected Pirates

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (March 18) - Two U.S. Navy warships exchanged gunfire with suspected pirates Saturday off the coast of Somalia, and one suspect was killed and five others were wounded, the navy said.

Seven other suspects were taken into custody after the early-morning shootout, said Lt. Cmdr. Charlie Brown, spokesman for the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet.

No sailors were wounded in the battle, which occurred at about 5:40 a.m. local time, approximately 25 nautical miles off the Somali coast in international waters.

The battle started after the USS Cape St. George and USS Gonzalez, which were patrolling as part of a Dutch-led task force, spotted a 30-foot fishing boat towing smaller skiffs and prepared to board and inspect the vessels.

The suspected pirates were holding what appeared to be rocket-propelled grenade launchers, the navy said. When the suspects began shooting, naval gunners returned fire with mounted machine guns, killing one man and igniting a fire on the vessel.

Three suspects were seriously wounded and being treated on one of the Navy ships, Brown told The Associated Press. A Dutch Navy medical team was en route.

The suspects' nationalities were unknown.
The Navy boarding teams confiscated an RPG launcher and automatic weapons, the statement said.

The Cape St. George, a guided-missile cruiser, and Gonzalez, a guided-missile destroyer, were conducting maritime security operations in the area. They are based in Norfolk, Va.
The International Maritime Organization has warned ships to stay away from the Somali coast because of pirate attacks, which surged to 35 last year from two in 2004.

On March 15, the U.N. Security Council encouraged naval forces operating off Somalia to take action against suspected piracy. Pirate attacks against aid ships have hindered U.N. efforts to provide relief to the victims of a severe drought in the area.

The pirate raids are part of the anarchy wracking Somalia, which has had no effective government since 1991, when warlords ousted a dictatorship and then turned on each other.
03/18/06 15:00 EST

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
R&G beat me too it - Go Navy!! :35:

·
Super Moderator
25,571 Posts
Two destroyers and there was enough of the pirate ship left to board? Go figure..:confused:

Job well done! :congrats:

·
Administrator
143,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think they were trying to be polite & probably decided not to turn their vessel into a Funeral Pyre At Sea.
Human sacrifice to the God Of War.

I guess it's also difficult to gather intelligence from toasted shark bait. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Arrrrrr...:image035:

They need to keelhaul the survivors! :spankme:

Good Job, NAVY :hand10:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I am amazed that the pirates even tride to fight with two Navy destroyers. The Navy could have shredded them for sure if they wanted to.

Good job Men!

Ti.

·
Super Moderator
18,124 Posts
It would have been better if they had killed ALL of the pirates.

That is the only thing that thugs understand. Wiping them out would have given their buddys second thoughts about trying it again.

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
What we ought to do is have them patrol that area in normal yachts as decoys, but loaded for bear with men and weapons. Let them board them and then give them a big surprise. A few of those and the pirates may decide to try something else. Some of the maritime piracy stories are pretty intense....

·
Registered
540 Posts
Ti Carry said:
I am amazed that the pirates even tride to fight with two Navy destroyers. The Navy could have shredded them for sure if they wanted to. ....
To quote Forrest Gump "Stupid is as stupid does".

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I'm sure the pirates said to themselves after they fired the first RPG round...."maybe I shouldn't have done that...."

·
Registered
615 Posts
I like Bumper's idea of a decoy/Trojan Horse. However, the liberals in this country would scream "entrapment".....Hillary would convene a special Investigative Committee and we'd pay millions in restitution!:mad:

·
Registered
744 Posts
I am so proud of my fellow sailors! As a 20 year USN retiree, all I can say is Go Navy, Go Army, Go Marines, Go Air Force, Go Coast Guard!!!! But you know, it's possible one pirate saw the two ships, was so scared he dropped his gun and had an accidental discharge, then the SHTF. Couldn't have happened to a nicer group of thugs!:smile:

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Nothing says "I've made an error in the victim selection process" like three or four Phalanx mounts, a smattering of .50 HMG's and one or two 5 inch guns opening up on you after you make the stupid mistake like what the pirates made.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
Bumper said:
What we ought to do is have them patrol that area in normal yachts as decoys, but loaded for bear with men and weapons. Let them board them and then give them a big surprise. A few of those and the pirates may decide to try something else. Some of the maritime piracy stories are pretty intense....

I'm with you Bumper!!:congrats: :congrats:

I'll bet you could get a bunch of SEALS to volunteer for this in a New York minute.:danceban:

I'd give a lot to have a camera on scene for that encounter. :banana:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts