Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some time now I have been posting on the modifications to my cheaply bought Springfield GI WWII Champion and I just installed the final modification. A Cylinder & Slide Drop In Trigger Pull Kit. The kit came complete with a new hammer, sear, disconnector, hammer spring and sear/grip safety spring. All parts are EDM cut from high grade steel and highly polished to a mirror finish except for the springs. The hammer has been nicely chamfered. In keeping with my dark carry gun profile, I will apply blueing to the hammer this weekend. The EDM parts have all been Rockwell tested as noted on individual test slips for each piece and have a test dimples made by the Rockwell machine. Even the bores for the pins are highly polished. I pulled out my trusty loupe and really scrutinized the work......first class. I removed the old parts except for the hammer spring and replaced them with the C&S parts. The hammer spring that came with the kit is too long so I left the original in. Prior to the change the trigger measured an average of 6.75 lbs. After the change it averages just below 4 lbs and is super crisp. I like this weight trigger pull in a carry gun.
I sprayed a little blueing in the sear and hammer faces to check contact and after a few hammer drops on a dummy round and disassembly I was pleased to see the wear was even across both faces.

I am finally finished with the gun and now I can just shoot it and have a great time. It will remain my primary CCW as well.

Has anyone else tried the C&S kits and what kind of results have you had????

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Hi Tex
Sounds like you're putting a real nice shooter and carry gun together with those parts you're buying! Hope to se a range report soon on your new toy!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Tex - sounds like a great outcome. I have no personal experience with C&S myself but have yet to hear any bad vibes.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
havent tried one yet nor the nowlin kit i got sitting here but ill get round to it glad to hear everything fit well cant wait to see the range report

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I just saw those kits a few weeks ago in a Handgunner magazine, I was wondering how good they are. Let us know what you think once you've put a few rounds through it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Range Report on Champion

Ok folks, here's the scoop.

I carried the gun to the range this morning. Took 200 rounds of Winchester White Box 230gr. FMJ.

I loaded 10 magazines with 2 rounds each and shot them with no problems. Then I loaded the same 10 magazines with 4 rounds each again with no problems. The same results with 7 in each magazine. I then loaded 10 mags again with 2 in each mag again and shot the gun inverted, tilted 90 degrees to the left then the right then straight down into deep loose sand.

Everything seems to be working great. I gotta tell you all, of all the modifications to this gun, having a great trigger is by far the best of them all. It is so much easier to hold the sights on target. I have shrunk my groups by at least 1/2" because of the consistiency and smoothness of the trigger pull.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Thx Tex - sounds good indeed. Cool piece.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks P95,

I am really happy with the results and love to show it off with pictures. I just wish I had your flair for taking gun pictures. I really am jealous of how you can take a gun that I would never own, and make it look so darn good in your pictures. I recently bought a new digital camera and hope to do a little experimenting with lighting and backdrops to enhance my gun pictures.

Thanks again for your input & great pictures.

Mike

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Mike - thank you kindly for your complements - I strive to do better but one problem is there is always some loss by time a pic has been ''crunched'' down in size to post.

So - new camera eh! May I suggest in case it helps - take a browse thru a mini site I put together for THR originally - it deals with many aspects of images in general but there is a section which may help re pic-taking, exposures, depth of field etc. Feel free to go peek if you so wish.

Image Matters

An option for background BTW is fleece, from Wally World - I tend to stick with the red but you can get cream, gray and more. Main thing is to try most times to have a background with no distracting pattern. Mind you, lint is a big prob and usually need to ''clean up'' pics in an amage app as well as resizing.

Feel free to ask if I can assist with any queries.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
P95,

Thanks for the advice. The site is well designed, easy to navigate and loaded with great info for a future Ichiro wannabe...like me!!!!

I will use it and refer to it often.

Thanks again,

Mike

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Tex
That's a REALLY Sweet peice ya got there! I like the trigger and pebble grip concept. Where did you get the trigger system? I think I'll get one for that Defender I just picked up, cuz I can't stand the plastic trigger it has. I already have the extended slide stop and safety somewhere in my box of spare parts goodies. Sounds like you've got a winner with that gun! :biggrin:

·
Registered
998 Posts
I've been debating one of those kits. The C&S site list them at $116 IIRC. I live pretty close to Jim Stroh, one of the big time pistolsmiths. His trigger job is $100. I don't know whether or not I want to buy the kit and do it myself or pay him to do it. A good trigger is really all my Springer loaded is lacking as I can fix the sight issue (crooked in dovetail). The trigger is about 5.5 pounds now, but it has some creep, and it isn't consistant. I do really good with it at 15 yards. At 20 yards I'm okay, but beyond that I start to have problems with it.

Stroh has a waiting list. The C&S thing could be done pretty quickly.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Mike - glad the site might be of some use to you.

As I may have said anyways - any specifics with which I might be able to help - just holler!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Bud - you are too kind. :smile:

The real top notch pics you may have seen on THR come from Don Hart - he takes probably more care over set up than I do - his are exquisite. Only downside is for folks with dial-up cos I think he still posts huge files.

Mine get reduced and squished so they are approx 50-60k - and so bit more dial-up friendly - I do in fact need to reshoot some long arm pics sometime.

BTW - to you and others - watch out for latest CCM which might be this week - the front cover pic will be one taken by me, of my step daughter. I have seen the proof cover and IMO she looks knockout.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
If I get approval from Maria at CCM, I will post a pic you can be sure :smile:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CLASS3NH said:
Tex
That's a REALLY Sweet peice ya got there! I like the trigger and pebble grip concept. Where did you get the trigger system? I think I'll get one for that Defender I just picked up, cuz I can't stand the plastic trigger it has. I already have the extended slide stop and safety somewhere in my box of spare parts goodies. Sounds like you've got a winner with that gun! :biggrin:
Class3NH,
Thanks, it has been a labor of love and a great teaching device.

The trigger came from McCormick and the trigger system is the CS213-Ultra Match CH 3.5lb TGR Pull Set costing $166.00. Since I did not use the supplied hammer spring, due to its length, the trigger is measuring just shy of 4lbs of pull. Just the way I like it. I wish I could have had my trigger job done by someone close by me, but the only gunsmith around here does not do trigger jobs. Other than sending it off again, this was my only option and I am glad it worked out so well for my gun. I guess I could have had Springfield do one while the frame was there being re-parkerized.....oh well!!

The grips are panels from Hogue. I have used their wraparound grips on all my guns at one time or another and really prefer the pebble design over the rubber diamond checkering.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts