Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've finally broken down and I'm going to drop a set of night sights on my EDC. After everything I've been reading, I think I should be able to replace the sights myself. For you Glock folks that have replaced your rear sights, do you really need a sight pusher to get the rear set up?

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
A sight pusher is never needed, but makes the job a lot easier. I have replaced the sights on several rifles and handguns, and i never had a pusher and it was doable but a PIA. The sights on glocks are polymer and repeated tapping with a hammer and punch may damage them, if you wanted to keep them. also, you risk more damage to the firearm with out using a pusher than you do with IMO

Reactions: GhostMaker

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I would like to hang on to the stock rear, although I think I'd probably go to a plain black rear if, for some reason, I don't care for the night sight rear. I'm not really that picky, especially for a defensive gun, so I'll probably never take 'em back off...

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Ok, so I've finally broken down and I'm going to drop a set of night sights on my EDC. After everything I've been reading, I think I should be able to replace the sights myself. For you Glock folks that have replaced your rear sights, do you really need a sight pusher to get the rear set up?
For Tritium sights, you absolutely have to use the proper tools, including a sight press for the rear sights on most handguns. If you use a hammer or mallet on Tritium sights, you can damage the inserts.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
I've done the job twice. I put the XS Big dot on my G19 and on my G17 I swapped out the stock plastic rear sight for the steel one the Glock Store sells for $20. The job is doable without a sight pusher. I happen to have one and it sure makes the job easy. The steel rear sight for the G17 was a very snug fit to install and without the pusher I'd have had to do some beating.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm... I guess I'm going to start asking around and see if anyone I know locally owns a sight pusher that I could borrow; it's sounding like that's the safer way to go.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Or try Amazon if you want to buy a cheap one for home use. No need to go all out if you're not a professional armorer.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
A padded vice to hold your slide, you can use small pieces of wood or rubber, a brass punch of the right size, too small and it will damage the sight, too big and it could contact the slide. A small hammer, and gently tap the rear sight out of the dove tail with the punch. Gently tap the new sight in place with the small hammer, and finish putting it in place with the punch. You tube has some videos on this procedure.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Or try Amazon if you want to buy a cheap one for home use. No need to go all out if you're not a professional armorer.
I checked on Amazon but all the tools I saw were over $100. Maybe that's cheap for a sight pusher, IDK. That tool that Backwoodz linked is fairly inexpensive. I guess if I can't find one to borrow I may have to go that route. I really don't want to jack them up, my wife is buying them for Father's Day for me!

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
I checked on Amazon but all the tools I saw were over $100. Maybe that's cheap for a sight pusher, IDK. That tool that Backwoodz linked is fairly inexpensive. I guess if I can't find one to borrow I may have to go that route. I really don't want to jack them up, my wife is buying them for Father's Day for me!
Laying out the cash for a sight pusher really only makes sense if you have several of them to do. If you prefer not to tap them with a punch your local Gunsmith will probably do the job for about $20.

·
Registered
42,916 Posts
Had the same question hadn't started a thread on it. You guys are awesome!
Oh, don't be saying things like that to TX expat. It will go straight to his head if it will fit under his wig.

And while we're at it, Hey--El Cheapo! Your LGS will probably do it for a nominal fee, cheaper than building your own pusher.

Reactions: aznav and TX expat

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, don't be saying things like that to TX expat. It will go straight to his head if it will fit under his wig.

And while we're at it, Hey--El Cheapo! Your LGS will probably do it for a nominal fee, cheaper than building your own pusher.
You're darn straight I'm El Cheapo! Why don't you just drag your lazy rear out to the Post Office and mail me your sight pusher! This is, of course, assuming you can stop trolling the beach long enough to find a post office! :tongue:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I did it twice with the slide in a padded vise and a brass punch. No big thing. Didn't destroy the factory sight. Your mileage may vary of course.
This, did it with my G23, about to do it with my G19 when my new sights arrive. Might look into making one though, have to check that link backwoods posted.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've replaced the sights on all of my Glocks (5). I purchased the Maryland Gun Co. sight removal tool from Midway ($100). Well worth the money. The tool is also easy to use at the range if you need to tweak the sight adjustment after initial installation.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I used a punch to remove old and a pair of channel locks and some scrap leather to install the new. Just have to sand or file a tiny amount and fit check when installing the new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Couple years ago I decided I could do this myself how hard could it be. I put the glock slide in my woodworking vise on my tool bench. Had a rag in there everything was going great old sights came out easy was putting in rear sight an it got stuck so I gave it a firm tap it took-off to another dimension in time. 149.00 night sight never to be seen again, get the right tool.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts