Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years, my EDC has been a Kimber SIS Ultra in a "Bodyguard" holster with a spare magazine. I've never felt under gunned with 7+1 with an extra 7 .45acp hollow points. With everything that's going on I've switched to my Sig P226 (18+1) in a minotaur holster and an extra magazine of 18.

I hate relegating the Kimber to the night stand, but I think capacity (that hurt to type) is more important for the time being.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
My carry philosophy before the current virus/panic/BS:
Of the concealable pistols one owns carry one preferred in hand if you had to defend yourself.
Location nor time of day are factored, same pistol for a quick trip to the store or Atlanta, Jacksonville.
Glock 19/23 (minimum) meets that simple philosophy; I'd be content to carry it wherever.
I've not carried smaller than a Glock 19/23 in over 3 years.
My philosophy from before the virus/panic/BS is the same now. :)

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
My philosophy, and my carry, has not changed because I have always considered capacity to be nearly as important as reliability.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I’m carrying my usual, Two J-Frames plus reloads. When the rioters were in the area I loaded up my Glock and all the extra mags. It’s in the house but, I did carry it when I ventured out a ways. I also took the Glock to the Range to make sure all the various size mags still function. 👍

·
Super Moderator
16,433 Posts
Living in a quite rural area next to small towns I see no reason to change my EDC, a 1911 and maybe a spare mag or two is plenty. I used to go to Raleigh for gun shows but no more, there is no need for their silly TSA attempt at security.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
My most often carried gun is a 5 shot 357 magnum. My revolvers outnumber my semis 3-1, but I do also occasionally carry my HK p2000sk, P2000, CZ75C, and Sig Pro.

Not because I'm afraid I'm gonna need em, but Simply because I go to the outdoor range twice a week and run a couple of drills with my carry gun choice of the day, including a 10 minute dryfire practice session at home, so that I stay proficient with all of my guns.

I only take the gun I'm carrying which means I only gotta clean 1 gun when I get home. Another benefit of this system is that it keeps all of my guns cleaned and lubed on a regular basis.

But I feel perfectly fine (safe) with a 5 shot 357 magnum revolver on my side, no matter where I venture off to throughout the day.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,889 Posts
My EDC is the same for several years. I carry a government model 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm with a spare magazine on my belt plus a Sig P938 9mm with a spare magazine in my pockets.

If I have to go to the Portland area, I swap the 1911 for a Springfield Armory XDM 4.5 in either .40 S&W (16+1) or 10mm (15+1) plus two spare magazines.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
A P226 /18 +18 spare is a weighty package to carry around. Although, once used to it, it's not so bad. Mine has been reassigned to vehicle duty and a lighter package with similar capacity goes on the hip. My cousin, who is retired from Federal service, still carries his P226 with a full spare and a Bobcat backup. Even in hot weather under summer clothing.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
I play musical chairs with my carry guns - mostly Glocks as of late. The past two weeks I've been carrying my police trade in G22 with a .357 Sig barrel and G31 mags. 15+1 in the gun, 30 on the belt. 46 rounds of HST performance so close to a .357 Magnum you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference.

When we go out, I carry considerable more - considerable.

I did finally get my 1911 chamber repaired this week though. Who says being cooped up is bad?

·
Premium Member
3,967 Posts
I hate relegating the Kimber to the night stand, but I think capacity (that hurt to type) is more important for the time being.
Why is capacity on the night stand any less important than capacity when one carries?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Capacity, while more bullets is good to have, has never been the priority in my carry gun. Reliability is first and foremost, followed by shoot-ability (running the gun - not just accuracy, strong hand, weak hand, multiple rounds quickly and accurately, empty reloads, tac loads, doing the above on the move etc...) and then the ability to be carried.

I started carrying back in 1985. In 2005 I made the switch to the Glock 19 from primarily the SIG P239 in 9mm. It has been my EDC since then except for 2016 when I primarily carried a Walther PPS/M2 and then in 2017 a Glock 43. In April of 2019 I picked up a Gen 3 26 that had a grip reduction and stippling job - first and only 26 that I have ever really liked (dislike the rear grip hump on the 26). I do carry it on occasions.

Since March of this year, my EDC has been a Shadow Systems MR918.

In the past I have also carried some lower capacity semi autos; SIG P225, HK P7M8, Devel 9mm, Wather P5, Springfield EMP 9mm, to name a few and also some "higher" capacity guns like a Browning Hi Power, S&W 669, SIG P228. So while I think capacity is a nice plus, its not that important to me.

Oh, I have carried some 5 & 6 shot revolvers too over the years.

During my time in the Army I was assigned and qualified with both a 1911 and a Beretta 9mm. During my LEO days I carried a Beretta 92FC (13 round version), a SIG P226 9mm and a SIG P220 .45 ACP.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Carry what you're comfortable with...no matter what !!! Personally I applaud the change....

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Carry reloads now. Rarely before the current lawlessness. Now, usually 2 reloads for the j frame.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why is capacity on the night stand any less important than capacity when one carries?
It's not. It's just that 30+ people won't fit i my bedroom. The nightstand gun is what I use for quick strike defense. Then My AR comes into play. Then factor in my wife's P226 and her riot shotgun. Capacity isn't an issue in my bedroom.

Just to be clear. Getting accidentally caught up in a protest/riot is why I'm changing. Once things calm down (and they will) I'll go back to the Kimber.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Around our little rural town, my P365 gets carried.

When we go into town, for medical appointments, COSTCO, AG supplies, visit one of the daughters, s-i-l and grandkids, the P320 in .357 Sig goes on with one or two spare mags.

Reactions: seeker_two

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Nothing in my AO has justified running around with a 50 round box's worth of ammo on my belt. I don't hang around in Downtown Denver or Aurora on a regular basis, and the "protests" showing any sort of violence have been confirmed to a small area.

I can upgrade at any time if I change my mind.

Reactions: forester58
1 - 20 of 35 Posts