Defensive Carry banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's not. It's just that 30+ people won't fit i my bedroom. The nightstand gun is what I use for quick strike defense. Then My AR comes into play. Then factor in my wife's P226 and her riot shotgun. Capacity isn't an issue in my bedroom.

Just to be clear. Getting accidentally caught up in a protest/riot is why I'm changing. Once things calm down (and they will) I'll go back to the Kimber.
I am not so sure things will EVER calm down. I'm going with my bigger heavier guns now. More capacity and larger bullets.

Joe

·
Registered
430 Posts
Went from a 1911, Sig 239, or a Glock 19 to strictly a Glock 19. Plenty of capacity and battle field mag pick ups if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,653 Posts

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I still carry the same. My EDC has always been either my HK 45c w/2 extra 12 rd mags or my HK VP9. I even still rock with my HK VP9sk w/2 extra 13 rd mags.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
My EDC has not up-gunned, at the handgun level, but if going where protesters could be expected, or other higher-threat-profile areas, I am more likely, than pre-2020, to bring a long gun. I pulled my lacrosse racquet bag, which can contain a long gun up to about 42”, from its storage place, and bought a coral-ish-colored yoga mat bag, which can fully contain my old duty 870P, to which I affixed a Pachmayr Vindicator pistol grip, and may be able to contain an AR15, with a 16” barrel, when I take delivery of an LMT “PDW” complete lower, this Friday.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I realize that one cannot predict where and when one may need a more-substantial weapon, but, there is such a thing as reasonable threat assessment, for differing environments. If it is practicable to tote a bigger weapon, than my usual EDC, or, in addition to my EDC, well, why not do so?

And, sometimes, convenience is a factor. If I am going to a location where I can conveniently tote a “bag gun,“ well, why not do so? A second handgun, toted in a bag/case, is usually feasible. A bag/case large enough to tote a long gun is not always so easy to pull off.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I used to carry a 9mm Beretta 92FS. I have never beat it for reliability. This includes any other semi-autos, and (gasp) revolvers. The only gun that comes close is my 9mm Sigs. When I moved to Florida, I found out that I had made a few enemies back when I was working Law Enforcement up north. I knew the bad guys knew what area I had moved to. So I carried my trusty 92 in a Blackhawk CQB. But that threat did themselves in, and never actually materialized. I heard about a Fish and game officer stumbling on marijuana growers and getting cut to pieces by the growers because he was unprepared. He was carrying a single stack. I live in a rural area of the sunshine state, and just up the road, two deputies were ambushed and killed because they ran dry. Good guys. I knew both. There had only been one other officer killed in the line of duty by gunfire previous in the county's history. I have never thought the phrase "I live in a good area" or "Nothing ever happens here." was paticularly insightful. You just never know. So I used the philosophy "It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I carry every day at work where they would rather I didn't. Beretta Pico .380 in my pokcet and a spare mag. Bigger more capacity is always better, the Pico is bigger with way more capacity than the company requirement of 0.

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts
No change for me, last 3 years. SAME 4 (ALL), ANY day I leave the house. Same manual of arms. Draw one & shoot. Either hand. All are above .40 caliber.

·
Registered
18,554 Posts
I may have actually taken a step down in firepower; depending on how you look at it.
With the current ammo shortage, I have gone to revolvers.

Having thousands of primers and LSWC bullets on hand, I can load literally 50 rounds for a few bucks, and have a supply that allows me to practice constantly while I sit on my 9mm and 45 ammo.

Now I am shooting more ammo, more often, and can hit a reduced size silhouette at 50 yards with a j frame, or make hits from the draw in under a second.

I may have stepped down in capacity, but I have made huge gains being deadly, while enjoying more shooting time.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
I may have actually taken a step down in firepower; depending on how you look at it.
With the current ammo shortage, I have gone to revolvers.

Having thousands of primers and LSWC bullets on hand, I can load literally 50 rounds for a few bucks, and have a supply that allows me to practice constantly while I sit on my 9mm and 45 ammo.

Now I am shooting more ammo, more often, and can hit a reduced size silhouette at 50 yards with a j frame, or make hits from the draw in under a second.

I may have stepped down in capacity, but I have made huge gains being deadly, while enjoying more shooting time.

Nice! I bought 2,000 rounds of steel cased 38 right before prices jumped just so I could keep shooting my most carried guns (the 5 shot snubbies). I too have put my 9mm and 45 acp on ice for now even though I have decent supplies on hand.
Most people who don't see any advantages to the snubby just don't put the time in to become proficient.
I have not shot for several weeks and Sunday took the 2 snubs out and shot water filled gallon milk jugs at 25 yards. I shot only 20 rounds and missed the jugs only twice so for me that was "good enough" and called it a day.
Next time out will be just a few cylinders on the wizard.

Nice to see you here and how do you like your 64?

·
Registered
18,554 Posts
Nice! I bought 2,000 rounds of steel cased 38 right before prices jumped just so I could keep shooting my most carried guns (the 5 shot snubbies). I too have put my 9mm and 45 acp on ice for now even though I have decent supplies on hand.
Most people who don't see any advantages to the snubby just don't put the time in to become proficient.
I have not shot for several weeks and Sunday took the 2 snubs out and shot water filled gallon milk jugs at 25 yards. I shot only 20 rounds and missed the jugs only twice so for me that was "good enough" and called it a day.
Next time out will be just a few cylinders on the wizard.

Nice to see you here and how do you like your 64?
Love the 64. It’s like shaking hands with an old friend.

Reactions: forester58

·
Registered
25 Posts
For years, my EDC has been a Kimber SIS Ultra in a "Bodyguard" holster with a spare magazine. I've never felt under gunned with 7+1 with an extra 7 .45acp hollow points. With everything that's going on I've switched to my Sig P226 (18+1) in a minotaur holster and an extra magazine of 18.

I hate relegating the Kimber to the night stand, but I think capacity (that hurt to type) is more important for the time being.
The lack of 380 ammo forced me to start carrying my single stack 9MM. I used my 380 ammo searching for new ammo for my gun.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts