Rest of the Story

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Good call! :yup:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
From the sounds of the article, the victim and the attacker both had previous criminal charges/convictions against them. I'm somewhat surprised it well this well for the victim. Attorneys have a way of making the good guy look bad if it pays. Glad to see due process work the way it was intended for once.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
The defender's criminal past is probably WHY he was charged in the first place. In my county and general region, in Texas, it is unlikely a defender with a clean past would have been charged in the first place, in my opinion.

I am glad it worked out OK for the defender. FWIW, I am almost the same age as the defender, have a minor infirmity in my formerly "strong" arm, and am a bicyclist.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Good to see :hand10:

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Man, you just really gotta be a scumbag when your best friend gives the statements this guy did against the deceased.

Excellent call by the judge.

All turned out well!

·
Registered
119 Posts
As other's have mentioned, the following concerns me,"
Article said:
Podany was charged with misdemeanor battery in 1994 and felony aggravated assault with a weapon in 1999. He pleaded no contest to the assault charge and adjudication was withheld, records show
Would anyone from FL like to expand on this, before I insert my foot in mouth? What does "adjudication" mean, and how did someone with this type of criminal past obtain a firearm, much less a CCW?

·
Registered
341 Posts
you can have a ccw with a felony beef in the past in florida? did I miss something here?

although Mr. P seems justified in using lethal force, why put oneself in such a situation? even police officers are at risk when they do a traffic stop; does one think that a civilian would get better respect or treatment?

I do wish that we have the castle doctrine in CT; we still have to make the effort to "RETREAT". yut.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
"He pleaded no contest to the assault charge and adjudication was withheld, records show"
Withholding adjudication means the court failed to make a judgment, yes? Perhaps an attorney could explain that one.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts

Would anyone from FL like to expand on this, before I insert my foot in mouth? What does "adjudication" mean, and how did someone with this type of criminal past obtain a firearm, much less a CCW?
I was wondering the same thing.:blink:

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
I am not an attorney and just my opinion...

St. Petersburg Times Article said:
Podnay charged with misdemeanor battery in 1994 and felony aggravated assault with a weapon in 1999. He pleaded no contest to the assault charge and adjudication was withheld.
I'm guessing that the other party was at least equally to blame for the altercation and the felony was "set aside". While "No Contest" is essentially the same thing as pleading guilty, it's my understanding that there are some administrative differences from being convicted.

Just my non-lawyer take on the whole thing.

I'm sure if he had obtained his CCW under fraudulent circumstances, the judge wouldn't have dropped the charges on this latest incident!

Bear in mind... Florida is an exceedingly "gun friendly" State! I know those who live there appreciate it too!

·
Registered
44 Posts

Is the newspaper correct? I find that hard to believe.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
49 an "old man " ?????????

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
49 an "old man " ?????????
I wish I was an old man...:yup:

To the OP...this drunk jumped out looking trouble and I guess he found it.:hand10:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Or he jumped out looking for an "Easy Mark" & Trouble found Him
Precisely the Reason I Carry
(But I don't try to "Police the Neighborhood" when I do)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts