Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not real familiar with this gun, but a new lady in my life has one for self-defense purposes.

What can you guys more familiar with this gun tell me about it?

I just did a complete cleaning, oiling and inpection of it and it seems to be in pretty good shape.

At the gun show yesterday I bought her some Golden Saber 125gr JHP's for it. I was afraid to get anything +P so I stayed with standard pressure loads.

Any info would be appreciated guys and gals.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I have seen several and I honestly mean to buy one for myself one of these days. I don't own one but I have looked into them a little bit.

The old Charter Arms Undercover Special was just a good old fashioned no nonsense gun. There's nothing particularly fancy or special about them. I see them for upwards of $250 sometimes but I think that's too much. I wouldn't pay more than $230 maximum, matter of fact I'd only buy it for $200 or less because I don't need it.

I am not aware of any that were +P rated.

It is inexpensive but not a piece of junk. It's about like an old pre Taurus Rossi: it's not as refined as the big names they're cloned after, but if you get one that works it works just fine.

The only thing I've heard about them that's bad is that after 5,000 or 10,000 rounds some of them develop timing issues.

If I didn't have very much money for a gun and I found the Undercover Special at the right price, I'd buy it without hesitation.

I can't speak to the Charter 2000 models, assuming they brought it back.

It's one of those "good values" I'm ever vigilant for at the local pawn shop. It would be extremely useful gun to have for some applications I can think of.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I believe the newer Undercovers are +P rated.....I think I read in a gun magazine.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
The new and old Charter Arms are two different outfits though... does she have a Chater Arms or a Charter Arms 2000? I know next to nothing about the new ones but a google search should turn up some stuff on the new ones.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I think Class3 (Lucifer!) should be able to add something here - Bob?? - - over to you. :smile:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
P95Carry said:
I think Class3 (Lucifer!) should be able to add something here - Bob?? - - over to you. :smile:
LOL...........Lucifer here <JK> yes.....the undercovers would handle a diet of +P loads but not too many boxes worth though........
BTW...Notice the 2 pUGS below.......I own both.......bought at the store..........ONE has a bobbed hammer and trigger job....<evil grin>
YES....Charter Arms IS COMING BACK into production.. ALL the models will be produced including a model resembling the 642.. <hamerless> the Bulldog Pug in 357 and 44 sol. as well...........in Stainless steel and blue...........all +P rated.........and reasonable money too.....you'll be seeing them around mid summer

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
I have one, decent little snubby, very light, I wouldn't put many +P rounds through it though. I picked it up for $125 with a holster and a box of shells.
Its above my SP101 and below My Mark I

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.

It's an older Charter Arms. She says she's had it for about 20 years and in that time, never cleaned it. So that was my job tonight. :yup:

Like I said, it seems to be in good condition and I think it will perform well for her with the Golden Sabres that I got for her. All the ammo she had for it was, 5 rounds of 158gr LSWC. While they would probably work, she says she's had them for 20 years also. I figured it was time to refresh her ammo supply. :image035:

·
Registered
997 Posts
My ex wife has my first one (An old Charter) and I have my second one (a new Charter, here with me at this moment). I like them both but prefer the new one. It appears to be better made with a shrouded Cylinder Rod ( I think that's what you call the rod that the cylinder rotates on and moves forward when you open the cylinder.) It also came with a nice rubber padded grip that improves the positivity of the hold and softens the recoil considerably. They are both ideal pocket carry snubbies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts