Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charter Undercover #13811

I am looking into getting a wheelgun probably for BUG purposes or maybe even the wifes EDC. I have been looking around and I think that Charter Arms has it right, I know that 16oz is alot for this type of firearm, but am wondering if anyone has had any of these or experience? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I haven't ever tried a Charter , always wanted to buy never have bought one. I do have a Taurus 85 Ultra Light .38 spl that wieghs 17 oz that I like very much.

Hopefully someone that owns one will chime in for you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is your 85 have a 2" barrel?

I ask because the holsters that are for the 85 with the 2" work for the Undercover.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Charter arms

Had one a while back. It went bang every time I pulled the trigger.
It was the original "undercover" model. I carried it for 5 years in an IWB holster, loaded with HP ammo. A revolver is the simplist gun going, and it should work for you.
Its not finished like a Smith buy a lot less costly.
Taurus has a "airweight" .38 at a reasonable price if you want a lighter gun as a BUG......

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
My wife has the Undercover Southpaw.

Pros:
Lightweight
Accurate
Fit and finish is fair
Price is fair. $360.00
Only left handed revolver on the market

Cons;
Lacks refinement
Trigger is rough and heavy. (in double action)
5 shot cylinder.

Note: I'm making this comparison to a S&W revolver.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Is your 85 have a 2" barrel?

I ask because the holsters that are for the 85 with the 2" work for the Undercover.
Yes I have the 2" 85UL. Nice to know that the Charter would fit the same holster. May just have to look into one in the future. Noticed they have a ultra light that weighs in at only like 12 ounces.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
No Charter's in my past, but a fair amount of Smiths'. The weight of 16-ounces is just about right for controllability of a pocket snub. In fact, I prefer my all steel version over my alloy snubs, but that’s just me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I owned a CA Undercover for 8 years or so. It was reliable if a little rough around the edges. Hard, rough trigger,so no accuracy. The fit and finish were not up to par. I traded it off for my new Ruger LCR. Now THAT'S a wheel gun. :comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
No Charter's in my past, but a fair amount of Smiths'. The weight of 16-ounces is just about right for controllability of a pocket snub. In fact, I prefer my all steel version over my alloy snubs, but that’s just me.
I agree. Contrary to what most might think, they need the weight to make them shoot nicely and controllable in my experience.

Charter Arms makes a nice decent reliable one. Or at least they did back when I bought one back in the late 70's or early 80's. Had one for years.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
as an old j-frame guy i have pickup them up a the gun stores to look at them and they don't seem to be on the same lines as the s&w and/or the rugers. but for some reason i still find myself looking for the undercover southpaw for my wife.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I mean would you trust you life to them? Sure they are not the best quality, but if you pull the trigger, it will go boom, and hit something at 10yards or less? That is the only reason I am really looking into one. Of course if I can find a used J frame, that will be a perfect choice, but for some reason Charter Arms keeps comming back to me.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I carried a Undercover in the '70s for a few years. I never did become real proficient with it, as I just couldn't shoot it well. I stopped using it after running some high pressure rounds through it, which is not recommended, and the gun loosened up (or seemed to). My memories are not very fond ones, but I readily admit I'm not a revolver guy, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I had the Charter Undercover D.A.O. with the Factory Bobbed Hammer. It shot as accurate as my Smiths or Taurus Snubs. It handled +P with no problems. When my good friend died he left his wife a Big Smith 9mm. She could not carry it and it wouldn't fit the Glove box in her car. I let her try the Charter. She loved it and shot it as good if not better than me. She could handle the recoil of +P in limited practice. I sold her Smith and gave her the Charter. She's armed 24/7 now.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
my wife has the CA .38 special (undercover) nice gun. got it from her father
when he passed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a stainless C A undercover special back in the 70's. Back then they weren't +P rated. Don't know about now. It went bang every time and didn't rust. C A gets a lot of grips for their wood so I would recommend a pair of Pachmeyer's or Houge's, that's what I did to mine. Made a lot of difference in perceived recoil. It wasn't a bad gun but I like my Sig P6 MUCH better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I owned one of the older Charters. It had an alloy barrel shroud. the gun shot great, but after 30-40 rounds the shroud would work its way loose. I could knock it back on get back to shooting. I had no problem carrying this weapon. Am currently looking into an undercoverette, but .32 S&W Long is tough to find.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had a Charter Arms Undercover a couple of years ago. After a couple hundred rounds, the timing went to hell. Sent it back and got it repaired...when it came back to me, I put it up for sale and never regretted it. I won't buy another "new" Charter Arms, I would rather spend my money on a Taurus if I didn't want to pay for the Smith name. I know it is a different frame size and different gun, but my Taurus 627 has never given me any trouble whatsoever. Just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts