Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not a lot of detail yet, but that's what it sounds like from initial reporting.

---------

A person who tried to break-in to a Fayetteville apartment was shot and killed a few blocks down the road, police say.

On Monday around 6:15 a.m., officers with the Fayetteville Police Department responded to a break-in at an apartment in the 1000 block of Cain Road.

Investigators said someone who lived inside the apartment called 911 while the suspect was trying to get inside. Another resident shot at the suspect.

According to police, the suspect fled the scene, and the resident followed them to the intersection of Cain Road and Rogers Drive. A fight occurred, and more gunshots were fired.

The suspect was shot multiple times and transported to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center, where he died.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
In cities who abolish police, that will become a very, very commonplace occurrence. Probably much to the horror of the groups seeking a Utopian society.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
The New Normal

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Man I would hate to live where some of y'all live these Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome areas. Seems the general populace is basically engaged in the Purge with law abiding society a thing of the past and this being the new normal. I remember the old days (about 2 months ago) when we would probably have said something along the lines of "shouldn't have followed him" "play stupid games" etc etc. Now it's all societal collapse and scenes from The Road. Maybe I'm missing the big picture and not seeing what y'all are seeing or........the new normal for the most part is the old normal we just slanting it to see what we want to see.

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
Every morning on the Serengeti a Gazelle wakes up. He knows he must outrun every predator.

Every morning a lion wakes up on the Serengeti. He knows he must outrun prey to eat.

Doesn‘t matter who you are. When the sun comes up you’d better run.

Welcome to the New World Order.

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
I read a fight happened. Will be interesting to see if deemed self defense.
We all need our Police back on the job. Cops are sitting back munching on a donut thinking Welcome To The Party Pal.
Chasing the guy down the road was probably a mistake because you lose your ability to claim self-defense for everything after you started chasing the guy.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
There’ll be more of this because good people are FED UP! No Police, no protections, no response to 911, no penalties for thugs, no deterrents. MY LIFE is more important than some low-life who feels he can do anything now, without consequences. The same low-life will just move on to another occupied dwelling, perhaps our elderly or disabled neighbors, with a very good chance of having kids at home. What happened here, in these times, was good people being active and pro-active in their collective defense. If it goes as far as Court, they’ll be plenty of people like me to sit on a Jury and nullify any charges.

·
Super Moderator
23,239 Posts
If it goes as far as Court, they’ll be plenty of people like me to sit on a Jury and nullify any charges.
That sounds like a weak defense strategy after chasing the perp down.

While I agree with the sentiments expressed in many of the above posts, I would never want to be going to court in that scenario. I don't think I could expect to have my case dismissed like the recent protestors.

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Chasing the guy down the road was probably a mistake because you lose your ability to claim self-defense for everything after you started chasing the guy.
Probably, but let's think about that for a minute. Wouldn't it depend on how you chased the guy. If you chased him with your gun out, trying to shoot him, yeah, that's illegal.

But what if you were chasing him to keep track of him until cops got there, or even to make a citizen's arrest, not intending to harm him. Caveat: I am not saying that is a good idea, I am just saying it should be legal. But then he turns back on you and attacks with disparate force and you defend yourself. Not unlike the Trayvon Martin case. You have every right to follow the guy, you just can't shoot him, unless he attacks you.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I don't get the replies about "this will happen more with no police". Would have the police been at the man's apartment at the time of the initial confrontation? Nope. Would have the police responded within seconds from a phone call from the victim to get there, gather the facts, and then chase the bad guy down? Nope.

This has nothing to do with defunding police or having no police.

Unless someone knows something I do not, there has been no reduction in police that area.

This has everything to do with individuals taking responsibility for their own safety and if needed, to comply with the laws of their state if they use a firearm in self-defense.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Probably, but let's think about that for a minute. Wouldn't it depend on how you chased the guy. If you chased him with your gun out, trying to shoot him, yeah, that's illegal.

But what if you were chasing him to keep track of him until cops got there, or even to make a citizen's arrest, not intending to harm him. Caveat: I am not saying that is a good idea, I am just saying it should be legal. But then he turns back on you and attacks with disparate force and you defend yourself. Not unlike the Trayvon Martin case. You have every right to follow the guy, you just can't shoot him, unless he attacks you.
My thoughts exactly as I was reading this. I don’t think it’s cut and dried, based on what I’ve read. Once again, we need to get all the facts of the case.

·
Premium Member
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More details coming out...

Neighbors said the shooting stemmed from an ongoing conflict between one of the residents and the intruder.

"It's just been an ongoing thing. It's sad that a life had to be lost in this situation, but it was just a lot going on with that guy," neighbor Mark Irvin said. "I feel for my neighbor because, you know, he's got a family."

The armed resident was taken into custody, and police said he was cooperating with investigators.

So far, no charges have been filed in the case.

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
I don't get the replies about "this will happen more with no police". Would have the police been at the man's apartment at the time of the initial confrontation? Nope. Would have the police responded within seconds from a phone call from the victim to get there, gather the facts, and then chase the bad guy down? Nope.

This has nothing to do with defunding police or having no police.

Unless someone knows something I do not, there has been no reduction in police that area.

This has everything to do with individuals taking responsibility for their own safety and if needed, to comply with the laws of their state if they use a firearm in self-defense.
I hear what you're saying from a purely logical/tactical point of view. However, I think it is a valid point ti say that if people start to feel they are being preyed upon more because the criminals know the police are no longer responding, people may start to take matters into their own hands. And it is a double whammy: Not only might someone think they have to go vigilante, they also may think the lack of police will allow them to get away with it.

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts

Ok. But what if you chased him with your gun holstered. He knows you have a gun and he knows you are chasing him and the two of you have already had a fight. The optics are real bad.

Better to let the police find him and not try to do their job. Besides, if you know the guy, why chase him? There is another post that these two guys knew each other. Just tell the cops.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Ok. But what if you chased him with your gun holstered. He knows you have a gun and he knows you are chasing him and the two of you have already had a fight. The optics are real bad.

Better to let the police find him and not try to do their job. Besides, if you know the guy, why chase him? There is another post that these two guys knew each other. Just tell the cops.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Seems reasonable. If there are cops you can tell who will respond. Not a given anymore.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts