Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fridge Gun Safe.jpg

I had mentioned using an old upright freezer with a built in lock before. Someone made it happen. My DW would like this! We already have one freezer in the basement. Another would look pretty innocuous.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Brilliant. Even better with disconnected compressor, plugged in so the orange lite glows. Who pauses to take a freezer full of venison & duck? Well most bad guys wouldn't.

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
The Freezer is one of the go to places for burglars.
I've read that also - because a lot of people wrap money or other valuables in foil and stash them in their freezers. Thus thieves check out the freezers and refrigerators.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Looks cool and with integrated look, it might work for the quick hit robber who is just looking high value items in least time. Depending on robber experience, it might be discovered, even if not looking for guns, but there isn't much that is going to stop a determined thief.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
I had my house broken into back in the nineties. The thief left my glass front gun cabinet alone, but stole a bottle of beer out of the fridge.
I guess everything is dependent on the age of the thief and what they are after. To a large extent anyway.

I like the idea though. Great way to re-purpose your fridge if you can come up with a locking mechanism.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I like a hidden door or wall idea. While my burgler alarm is screeming away, a burgler isn't going to hang around long. They would just grab what small sellable items I was dumb enough to leave laying around. Anyway, if a burgler did come in and took the time to look around, he would probably feel sorry for me and leave some of the stuff he found in the last house.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I like the ceiling mounted "Burglar Bomb" pepper spray alarm units. If the scumbag hangs around too long working your safe over with a crowbar, he gets a room full of OC spray fog...

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
What about a vending machine? I know quite a few homes with basement bars that have a retro vending machine. Only problem is visitors might get suspicious when it doesn't spit out a Coke or Bud Light.

Pepsi-machine-gun-safe-Armslist.jpg

Here's a link to an article/blog showing some more examples.

·
Super Moderator
24,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^^^^^^ I like the pop machine too.

These are just examples illustrating you don't need to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars for a gun safe. Are they perfect? No, but they are cheap, they'll lock, and a lot of folks would walk right past them if in a basement or garage.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Only problem as I see is...hungry/thirsty thieves. :blink:
If he has a dollar..... could place an ATM beside the machine. Better yet, an old dollar changer where you have to re-feed the bill 28 times, then Law Enforcement may have time to arrive.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
I was thinking about just getting a fairly inexpensive gun safe and leave it out as a decoy. Thieves can then spend their time breaking open the empty safe while the good stuff is hidden around the house.

Cheers,
Gerry
Got a friend that does just that. He bought an old wooden gun cabinet with a glass door and put a couple lower priced rifles, a cheap pump shotgun and a couple cheap .22's in it. Keeps it in his family room/living room. His better stuff is in a hidden safe in a closet.

·
Administrator
144,135 Posts
Many years ago I had a smaller upright gun safe.

Even though it was lag bolted from the inside to the basement concrete floor...I did not think it was super secure at all.

I had extra sheets of veneered plywood and some woodworking equipment. Table saw, router, shaper, etc.

I "boxed" it in and made it look exactly like an old bedroom dresser stood up on end. Fake drawers with handles & I bought four of those screw on furniture legs and screwed those onto one side.

Then I piled some assorted junk up on the top. An old bucket and rags, leaned a mop and broom against it.

I never had a break-in but I thought was disguised pretty doggone well.

I figured that no thief would bother trying to open sideways drawers and would just assume it was an old unused piece of furniture.

Maybe that will give some member an idea. But, (admittedly) an untested one.

The front opened like a door and it had those hidden cabinet door hinges.

My sophisticated <~~~~:blink: lock for the door was two large nails that that you had to just pull out with the fingers and that would let the front swing open. That gave me access to the safe.

Thinking back on it....I could have come up with a better locking mechanism these days. But, I did do a pretty good job of just making it look like a crappy piece of cheap furniture.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
a co-worker had is apartment broken in, he had left his AK on the bed (apparently he played with the AK before going to work) and the thieves didn't even touch it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts