Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted some suggestions for a gun that is pretty cheap to buy, ammo is reasonable, fun to shoot, and accurate. While I know some of this is subjective I am looking for opinions. I currently have a Taurus 650 CIA .357 stubby revolver, Kel-tec P-3AT,and an off brand .22 6" barrell revolver. While the .22 is accurate there is no thrill of shooting it. I guess just not enough punch. The taurus and the p-3at are both good for the purpose of up close but neither are very accurate or fun to shoot. I am kinda looking in the direction of a semi-auto since I already have two revolvers but open to hear what everyone out there has to say. This is not going to serve as a home defense weapon or a ccw as I already have those covered so I am not that concerned with reliability as my life is not going to depend on it.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Well - the old cherry eh? The cheap gun :wink:

If not for defensive purposes then we can allow for some slight reliability reduction maybe but - too cheap and if the gun fails terminally - money has been wasted, simple as that.

I am no fan of Hi-Points but a cheap 9mm for knocking around could well be just this - 9mm for economy too. One and a half C notes should get you this - cheaper even if a used one as they have poor resale value.

Better tho spend some more and get a P series Ruger in 9mm - a P95 DA/SA secocker, on poly frame, could well be found used for let's say $225 or so - and they are built rugged and shoot pretty well too.

These are what first come to mind for ''econo-plinking" :smilez:

BTW - despite your relaxed specification - I still would NOT waste money on Lorcin, Jennings, Raven etc - leave them out.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
ld spend my money on the Rugers they dont hold resale value to bad to

Most other guns that are good will resale for a lot more

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
I'm with P95. A used Ruger P89/90/95 type in 9mm will be cheap with cheap ammo. As a general rule they will eat anything you feed it. You can also find plenty of 15 rnd mags for $12-$15.

·
Administrator
143,580 Posts
How Cheap Is Cheap???

Inexpensive means different amounts to different folks.

Great Factory Reconditioned SIG pistols (w/ 1 year warranty) are still popping up for $450.00 ~ $480.00 or thereabouts.

Another firearm to look at would be that one by SKYE.

I probably buy one of those over a Hi~Point

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
If you want a 9mm for plinking and target a ruger would be a good choice. And i used to have a feg clone of a browning high power. Cheap and plenty accurate. If any auto is a choice a good ruger 22 is another good choice. Good luck in your quest.

Sixgun

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cheap Gunfun

Just today I bought a new 9mm RUGER P89DC. I belive it will be a good piece to throw in the old fishing truck & haul around in the outdoors. Put 100 rounds of 115gr.FMJ INDEPENDENCE ammo through it allready. It don't feel too bad. Think I'll take it out tomorrow eve. & try something heavier in it.:wave: :gah:

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Go with the 9mm for cheap ammo. For the gun look at used guns like a Ruger, Older S & W 9mm (model 39), or a Taurus.

frankmako

·
Registered
813 Posts
I don't own one but the price on the Bersa .380 coupled with a ton of rave reviews may not be a bad cheap gun. Ammo will run you a bit more than good ol' 9mm, though.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Me personally, I'm considering the new Kel-Tec PF9. Small and easy to conceal and it's supposed to combine the best of the p11 and p3at, better trigger etc and only about $300.
I've heard the Kel-Tecs are pretty decent. I'm considering it to replace my Makarov and the 9mm ammo is about the cheapest around.
I love my .45 but it gets expensive to shoot alot of ammo out of it.

If anyone else has any other opinions on the Kel-Tecs please let me know.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Ruger P89/95 9m.m. is hard to beat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am going to start looking for one of the Ruger P95's. I think I will go to my range first to see if they have one I can rent to try first.

·
Registered
419 Posts
lkqsjh - I'm a purist when it comes to firearms; I'd like to take the "Liberty" of re-phrasing, to say "Inexpensive gun..", I suggest finding the most reputable dealer in town and asking about good "Low priced" used firearms. Then there's always the SIG CPO program, but I don't know what inexpensive is to you. I assure you I mean no "Wise-_SS remarks to be read into these statements. :image035:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
erh said:
lkqsjh - I'm a purist when it comes to firearms; I'd like to take the "Liberty" of re-phrasing, to say "Inexpensive gun..", I suggest finding the most reputable dealer in town and asking about good "Low priced" used firearms. Then there's always the SIG CPO program, but I don't know what inexpensive is to you. I assure you I mean no "Wise-_SS remarks to be read into these statements. :image035:
I just wanted peoples opinions (and I realize opinions are going to be different from one person to the next) on the most "inexpensive" gun that would serve the purpose of hitting targets at the range. I would expect it to function most of the time and would hate to spend 150+ on a gun shaped paper weight. If the $99 hi point will serve the purpose I may try one. I would rather be patient and see if I can't find a used ruger for about 200.00. The thing that got me wanting one is my freind just got an Astra .40. That thing shoots really well. Ammo is not cheap, but it holds 14 rounds and its pretty darn accurate. I would like something similar in size and accuracy just to take to the range when I go. I like the idea of a 9mm better than a .380 because of ammo cost and I don't have a 9mm yet.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
+1 on the Ruger....

·
Registered
813 Posts
If you don't have a 9mm yet.....GET ONE!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts