Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a cheap .22. semiauto I can leave in the boat/atv. Ruger SR22 or Wlather would be the size I'm looking for but too nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
Security would be a big concern IMO. Also, humidity especially with any low end gun.

Why not carry the gun with you?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not concerned about any of that.

I'm just wanting a beater .22

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
Everything in a tackle box is subject to no end of rust. Why do it? After a few months you may as well throw it overboard.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
They are a little pricier than the Phoenix Arms, but you might consider Taurus PT22.

Definitely a step or two up in quality over the Phoenix Arms, and actually kind of a cool gun.

Personally, I'd just carry it, but if I was determined to keep it my tackle box, I'd put the gun in the box before I went out, then take it back out when I got home. Otherwise, I'd slather it with heavy oil if I was going to leave it in the box.

In fact, something you might consider is a snubnose .38 - Rock Island .38 snubies are $234 at Bud's Guns.

·
Registered
40 Posts
On the Taurus pt22, I picked up one of the poly models. I can only get I it to reliably cycle cci ammo, and even then it shoots about 6" off at 7 yards and it doesn't have adjustable sites. So far it hasn't been great...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't understand why everyone is worried about me leaving my gun in a tackle box. "Tackle box gun" is a figure of speech where I come from. It simply means a beater gun that you don't care if it gets dirty, scratched up, or even lost.

My boat is kept in my shop and so is my atv. That's kinda the point of a "tackle box" gun. It can stay in the boat box or my glove box on the atv and it won't mater if it gets dirty or a bit rusty. Hell for $150 I can replace it every few years if need be.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
IMOP get a cheep 22lr wheel gun .. A older H&r etc gun holds 9 rounds is dirt cheep like 200 bucks or less and will work with any 22 ammo short,long ,snake shot etc

What I would do as I could load snake rounds or short or CB caps in it

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
IMOP get a cheep 22lr wheel gun .. A older H&r etc gun holds 9 rounds is dirt cheep like 200 bucks or less and will work with any 22 ammo short,long ,snake shot etc

I got a used HR 929 revolver for a beater gun (mostly fishing) for $100. 9 shot revolver with a 'decent' action and very reliable and less prone to fail when dirty. If it falls in the lake, I won't cry + it shoots the shorts and all .22 ammo w/o problems.
I had 2 Phoenix .22s, but they were made of very soft steel and became paperweights in a hurry, not worth the $99. I paid for them.

Not many choices for a reliable .22 pistol under $300., especially if you want a decent trigger pull.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
565 Posts
I would go to a pawn shop and pick up a used gun. My "tacklebox gun" is a Jennings 22 that I plink with while waiting for my barrel to cool when bench rest shooting.
It's pure fun.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I agree with the idea of Tackle Box revolvers. IMHO, as the price goes down, the reliability holds-it-ground better than a self-shucker. I have a old High Standard R100, 9 shot, DAO (factory bobbed-hammer), alloy frame. Cuz' water moccasins like the same places that...big BASS do! :biggrin2:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

That's what my father in law carried in his tackle box for years. I inherited it. It looks like something that was bounced around for 20 years in a salty tackle box, but it still shoots.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
To me a beater gun, is something I'm not going to clean or lube regularly and will be carried and stored in less than Ideal conditions. I think you will be hard pressed to find a semi auto that will fit the bill and be reliable, especially a CHEAP one. I'd also go the revolver route.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
any cheap "beater" gun that I would use is NOT going to be a semi auto. Its hard to make a unreliable revolver but its easy to make a unreliable semi auto. My gone-fishing gun is a hi standard sentinel in 22.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts