Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bat Prank is Today's BIG Thing - OCT 27, 2009

As I watched this video (it's a bit inane but only 2 minutes long) it really struck me how easily a man in a large bat suit could sneak up on people and scare the jeepers out of them.

And then the thought hit me...what if he had tried to prank someone who was prepared and aware? Eek...

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
More than likely he would be one sore bat dude. As the guy at the atm, or the dude along side the road displayed, the guy in the bat suit isn't prepared for any type of hand to hand conflict.

If a person with a CHL was to immediately draw their weapon and shoot, I think that they would be in serious trouble since the bat guy didn't pose any threat of bodily harm or death. Being a jack .... isn't a justifiable reason for deadly force against you.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Seriously stupid, but funny too.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
More than likely he would be one sore bat dude. As the guy at the atm, or the dude along side the road displayed, the guy in the bat suit isn't prepared for any type of hand to hand conflict.

If a person with a CHL was to immediately draw their weapon and shoot, I think that they would be in serious trouble since the bat guy didn't pose any threat of bodily harm or death. Being a jack .... isn't a justifiable reason for deadly force against you.
They (costume person and camera person) knew it was a joke, the victims at the ATM and the gas station had no warning or prior knowledge. That is like saying the crackhead that jumped you in the park holding a screwdriver just wanted to know if you needed any repairs done.

At night, dressed in black, waving arms with "I don't know what" sneaking up on me while I am at the ATM or fueling, I am not gonna wait to verify if it is a piece of fabric or object to be used as a weapon or bag to throw over my head...

Not saying I would shoot, but I would be drawing for sure and getting off the "X".

·
Registered
57 Posts
I seriously doubt the thought of people defending themselves came to these guys minds, while it was an entertaining video. They are lucky they didn't get hurt by someone.

Although seeing as it was filmed in France, the possibility of being shot was probably very low.... Idk maybe they would have gotten crepes thrown at them?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I seriously doubt the thought of people defending themselves came to these guys minds, while it was an entertaining video. They are lucky they didn't get hurt by someone.
The vast majority of people have been conditioned to NOT defend themselves, so it's no surprise that they wouldn't think of it.

Although I did notice the guy at the ATM shoved him.

Gas station? Had that been me, he would have has gas poured all over him.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
If you watched it all the way to the end, there was French text across the screen. So if this was actually filmed in France, the chances of a gun being pulled were slim to none.

Let's see them try this in the Southern USA.

Or better yet, NOT.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Yep Springer...There are distinct clues throughout indicating this is not America as by the cars, cop car, bus stop design, etc.

Biggest one though being as in America everyone better associates a man in a bat suit to 'Batman' as rather than a literal figure of a bat the mammal.
Even Canadians know this. :p

- Janq

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Tis the season, kinda funny and a whole lot stupid, all at the same time.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
I had a good laugh, they are very lucky they were not in the U.S

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah, someone trying that in southeast Oklahoma would probably be perforated pretty quickly. Then, they'd be thrown in the pickup and taken to the taxidermist...

·
Registered
749 Posts
Really kind of scary that a person in a bat suit could sneak up on them like that. No weapons allowed, I would have kicked him where the bat signal doesn't shine.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Yeah, someone trying that in southeast Oklahoma would probably be perforated pretty quickly. Then, they'd be thrown in the pickup and taken to the taxidermist...
LOL that's what I was thinking.. but you deserved whatever happened, if your dumb enough to do that in Mississippi.:hand5:

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
This video disturbs me quite a lot. A while back someone posted a video with a man standing at an ATM and he got bumrushed by 2 or 3 males who came sprinting in knocking the victim down and robbing him. I would have unloaded my clip in that scenario. What troubles me is that in this bat video the bat rushes up to the man at the ATM from around a corner. If that was me I would have shot the bat out of reflex at being attacked. I would have drawn and fired a round seeing something very large lunging at me from concealment before I could have figured out it was a prank. In Texas it might be possible to get a no-bill in that scenario but what an utter shame it would be to possibly take a life when it was just a prank.

We are conditioned to think someone rushing up to us at an ATM is a life-threatening event. I dont think I could have discovered the prank before being past the point of no return if that was a REAL attack.

What would you guys do?

·
Super Moderator
23,972 Posts
I thought parts of it were very funny, as well as clever. Some of the unwitting "participants" did have a serious lack of SA, but no less than a couple of NWA pilots in the news recently.

I was struck by the ATM near a dark corner - that's an ATM I'd never choose to use, particularly at night. That is serious lack of fore thought, both by the ATM user as well as the bank that placed it there.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
This video disturbs me quite a lot. A while back someone posted a video with a man standing at an ATM and he got bumrushed by 2 or 3 males who came sprinting in knocking the victim down and robbing him. I would have unloaded my clip in that scenario. What troubles me is that in this bat video the bat rushes up to the man at the ATM from around a corner. If that was me I would have shot the bat out of reflex at being attacked. I would have drawn and fired a round seeing something very large lunging at me from concealment before I could have figured out it was a prank. In Texas it might be possible to get a no-bill in that scenario but what an utter shame it would be to possibly take a life when it was just a prank.

We are conditioned to think someone rushing up to us at an ATM is a life-threatening event. I dont think I could have discovered the prank before being past the point of no return if that was a REAL attack.

What would you guys do?
Unless you happen to have an insanely fast reflex/draw time, I would think you would have several seconds in which to determine the actual potential for threat. Since you can't OC in Texas, or at least you couldn't when I lived there, I would be hard pressed to believe that the average person could draw from concealment, point and fire their weapon before processing that they are targeting a large bat costume. Now I will give you that if you were to change the scenario up some and say the guy was dressed as some kind of movie psycho and was carrying some sort of prop, you might not have time to determine if the axe/machete/knife/whatever is real or not; in which case I could easily see how someone might get shot over something like this.

I am a pretty careful guy and I try to avoid things like night runs on the ATM as a general rule, but I doubt I would do more than start backpedaling the moment I became aware of the would-be assailant, or bat in this case. I might want to punch the guy for scaring the heck out of me though...

·
Registered
217 Posts
It was pretty funny at times. I enjoyed seeing him get battered at the end.

I also thought it was funny when he tripped over the gas station curb and got shoved at the ATM.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts