Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a chest holster for a Ruger SRH revolver. It will be worn when I hike/backpack below a Hill People Gear Original Kit Bag. That means the chest holster I get will be worn a little lower than normal.

The two I've looked at are a leather one from Diamond D and a kydex/webbing one from GunfightersINC. I prefer the look of leather but guess the webbing might be able to be cinched down for a tighter and more secure fit than the leather..

https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/products/guides-choice-chest-holster

Kenai Chest Holster | GunfightersINC

Hill People Gear | Real use gear for backcountry travelers

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I wear a Kenai Chest holster with my GLOCK 24 (converted to .357 Sig). It's my varmint (coyote) rig when backwoods Four-wheeling. Momma Song Doggies frighten their unruly pups with the...mention of my name. :biggrin2:

Seriously, it's a pretty comfortable, well-designed, robust holster. :yup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Kenai chest rig has three points of adjustment to get a custom fit. The Diamond D, which my heart wants, looks to have two fixed points and one adjustable? It doesn't seem you could get the same custom fit you could get with the three-buckle adjustments.

By the way, do the buckles ever dig into your body as you move throughout the day?

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
My vote would be for the Diamond D. I'm not a fan of kydex so for me that rules out the Kenai. The Hill People one looks like a fanny pack on your chest. Plus it looks like it would be really slow to access.

So if it were my choice I'd be going for the Diamond D.

I carry my Alaskan in a frankerig. Galco shoulder holster on a Bianchi harness.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I rigged a chest holster for myself. I just used a holster that fit the gun and attached straps to it. Nothing fancy but it worked. It took a lot of work to get the holster to sit where it was comfortable. It is important that the cant is right because the gun has to stay in the holster when you move but still be easily drawn. If I were going to buy one commercially I would want it to be very adjustable for not only the location but for other factors too.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
...By the way, do the buckles ever dig into your body as you move throughout the day?
Nope, yet I usually have a layer or two of undergarment (weather dependent) & the Kenai's buckles are positioned to minimize sharp edges. Plus, at my age, my body no longer has many remaining ...sharp, well-defined edges. :dunno:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've seen a video where the Diamond D can be adjusted and worn as an under-the-arm holster as well. Have you tried different scenarios with the Kenai and could it also be adjusted to do the same?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts