Defensive Carry banner

Chiappa Rhino 200DS

9K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  blau1976 
#1 ·
I went to the store to look for a holster for my Beretta Nano and came home with a Rhino intstead.

I was able to go to the range the following day to test her out. I brought along a variety of .38 special ammo and .357 magnum ammo.

I started out with the Remington UMC .38 special in 130 grain full metal jacket to warm up. The rounds were very mild to say the least. I had a misfire but the round went off on the second try. I then went to shoot the Winchester .38 special +p jacket hollow point in 125 grain. Again, it was very mild recoiling. The .38 special rounds were very accurate at 7 yards, right at the point of aim.

I then decided to load her up with .357 magnum. First off was the Armscor USA ammo in 125 grain full metal jacket. The rounds went off without a hitch, the recoil felt very mild also, like a 9mm. The rounds went high, probably user error. Next I tried the Winchester white box in 110 grain. These rounds were snappy and made me realize that I was shooting a .357 magnum. They weren't overtly stout, but I could feel a difference in the recoil, a lot more jumpy. I also short stroked the trigger several times with this ammo. I did not like this ammo much and will not carry or shoot this ammo in my gun anymore after what happened. This ammo also shot a bit on the high side. Finally, I got a chance to shoot the Golden Sabers in 125 grain. This ammo was extremely light in recoil, feeling like a mild 9mm. This was by far the most accurate .357 ammo out of the bunch, hitting at point of aim (I may have gotten used to the gun by now also). This will definitely be my carry ammo of choice. I wasn't able to get any ammo with higher weights as ammo is scarce these days, so that is the extent of my testing.

I will have to say if you were on the fence about this gun, the recoil management was definitley worth it IMO. She may be ugly looking, but when I picked her up, she fit like a glove! The only down side to the gun was the trigger was a bit on the heavy side.

I could have shot the gun all day with .357 magnum ammo and not feel beat up at all. For those who are recoil sensitive, this is the gun to shoot magnum rounds through!

See less See more
#5 ·
How is the fit and finish? What is the frame milled from - steel? Does it have the mechanical smoothness (only way I know how to say it) of a Smith, or does it feel "cheapish" like a Rossi? (sorry Rossi fans, not singling you out.)

I look at guns like cars. Is it a BMW, a Rolls, or a Chevy? Sometimes it's easier to evaluate that way for some folks.

It look cool, IMO, except for the stocks. That wood stock looks like it has some ergonomic issues, at least to me. How does it feel?
saa.

#6 ·
The fit and finish of the gun is very nice. Almost like a Swiss watch. Acording to Wikipedia, the Rhino is built out of aluminum alloy. It does not feel cheap at all. If I had to compare it to a car, it would be something European, though not a BMW or even Mercedes. Somewhere between a Mazeratti and a Ferarri but with the sturdiness of a tank. When you hold it, you know it's a gun, the Rhino is pretty heavy, coming in at 2.5 pounds.

The grip on my gun is made of soft rubber, not wood. I believe that it soaks up what is left of the recoil. Once you hold the grips, not only is it comfortable, the sights point naturally.

#11 ·
The Rhino is a beast! Made right here in my backyard of Dayton, OH. Though I don't have one, I've shot one at an intro to handguns course last year. You are right...ugly, but shoots like a dream. Congrats on the purchase and thanks for supporting my local economy!

#13 ·
I have a 5 inch that I got from someone on this forum. I love it. Just saw a 2 inch at the LGS this morning and wished I had the money to get it. So, just a word of advice - if you shoot 38spl in it, make sure to scrub the cylinders well after using or a build up will occur and it will eventually render shooting .357 Magnum's impossible and also if you don't clean the cylinders well after using, the shell casings will start to get harder and harder to get out. It doesn't mean that you have to scrub well after every time but I would not let it go more than a couple of times between.

And, while some say they think it is ugly, I think they look fantastic. It is also a great conversation starter at the range. I've let several people try it out and every single one of them have been surprised about how nice it is to shoot.

#14 ·
The Rhino is on my longggggggggggggg term list.....................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.